Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:16:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: To Westeros with Captain Blood! 14 October, another hill tribesman (p66)  (Read 244510 times)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: To Westeros! (Update: 'We Do Not Sow')
« Reply #60 on: February 05, 2014, 11:34:16 AM »
Ah yes, well the great thing about a fantasy setting like this, is that you can make it like you see it :)

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
« Reply #61 on: February 08, 2014, 07:17:59 PM »
I was hoping we'd get to see you work your magic in an ASoIaF setting!  You did not disappoint  :)

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #62 on: February 09, 2014, 10:34:57 PM »
Excellent work so far, Captain. I absolutely agree with your decision not to make Greyjoy outright Viking. I think all of Westeros is of the High Medieval era, from reading the books - with obvious cultural heritage borrowed from various real-world locations to add seasoning to the great houses and futher flung nations.

Obviously the chap with the handgun can't feature in Westeros as it's a pre-gunpowder culture (although they have wildfire, so work that out... )

I assumed that wildfire was like "Greek Fire" which predates gunpowder (if it ever existed?). I know there are records of the Saracens using "greek fire" as early as the 12th Century.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #63 on: February 09, 2014, 11:36:59 PM »
Thanks chaps. I shall have my first mounted Lannister knight modelled shortly... Just need to get busy with the Green Stuff...

Excellent work so far, Captain. I absolutely agree with your decision not to make Greyjoy outright Viking. I think all of Westeros is of the High Medieval era, from reading the books - with obvious cultural heritage borrowed from various real-world locations to add seasoning to the great houses and futher flung nations.

Thanks Gibby. I agree - High Medieval all round, including the Greyjoys :)

Because the Greyjoys are a seapower who behave somewhat like vikings, people assume they must look like vikings. But there's absolutely nothing in the books to suggest that.
On the contrary, Victarion Greyjoy is explicitly described as wearing full plate armour - because he has no fear of drowning.
This suggests that although the Greyjoys may not all wear full plate armour (because Victarion is regarded as unusual in this respect), they are nonetheless a sophisticated armour (High Medieval) culture - not an all-fur-and-leather-jerkins Dark Age culture.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #64 on: February 10, 2014, 02:42:34 AM »
Thanks chaps. I shall have my first mounted Lannister knight modelled shortly... Just need to get busy with the Green Stuff...

Thanks Gibby. I agree - High Medieval all round, including the Greyjoys :)

Because the Greyjoys are a seapower who behave somewhat like vikings, people assume they must look like vikings. But there's absolutely nothing in the books to suggest that.
On the contrary, Victarion Greyjoy is explicitly described as wearing full plate armour - because he has no fear of drowning.
This suggests that although the Greyjoys may not all wear full plate armour (because Victarion is regarded as unusual in this respect), they are nonetheless a sophisticated armour (High Medieval) culture - not an all-fur-and-leather-jerkins Dark Age culture.

Seems more akin to Robert Guiscard's Normans, in a way.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #65 on: February 10, 2014, 12:22:41 PM »
Maybe, although C11th Norman culture - chain hauberks, conical nasal helms, stirrupless cavalry, is still a long way from high medieval plate armour of the C14th-C15th...
Still, people can read whatever they want into the descriptions in the books, and interpret how they like for their own models  :)

Meanwhile here's my first mounted Lannister knight... He's a Perry / Fireforge hybrid. Some surgery was required on the shield arm, and quite a lot of Green Stuff - I've given him a new saddle, a plush fur collar to his cape, and a dashing plume on his helmet.
I think he has the right look for a Lannister...

:)

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: To Westeros! (Update: 'Hear Me Roar')
« Reply #66 on: February 10, 2014, 12:27:28 PM »
Rawr  ;D

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #67 on: February 10, 2014, 12:32:04 PM »
Personally I would consider 14th-15th Century to be late rather than high medieval, but then again that's me, and it doesn't really have any bearing on A Song of Tits and Thrones anyhoo.  :)

Looking the business so far but I can't wait to see some paint on these blighters.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Ray Earle

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #68 on: February 10, 2014, 01:26:56 PM »
Yep, looks like a right.... Lannister. That up himself he doesn't even need to hold on to his reigns.  ;)

Nice work on the conversion Captain. Look forward to seeing the paint slapped on this one.  :D

Ray.

"They say I killed six or seven men for snoring. It ain't true. I only killed one man for snoring."

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #69 on: February 10, 2014, 02:23:48 PM »
cute! Now we're all waiting for colours!  ;D

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #70 on: February 10, 2014, 03:08:51 PM »
All colouring-in activities are now focused on the forthcoming LPL... So I'll still be adding models over the next few weeks (I hope), but I'm afraid you're unlikely to see any pretty coloured ones (of these or anything else now) until the LPL is underway.

But hopefully, it'll be worth the wait :)

It is, of course, the slight downside of the Lead Painters League, that the regular painting output of many would-be participants dries up in the weeks beforehand...  ::)
The monumental effort of churning out 10 teams of figures for the LPL rather precludes painting a few figures here or there and sharing them freely as one goes along!

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #71 on: February 10, 2014, 03:12:47 PM »
All colouring-in activities are now focused on the forthcoming LPL... So I'll still be adding models over the next few weeks (I hope), but I'm afraid you're unlikely to see any pretty coloured ones (of these or anything else now) until the LPL is underway.

But hopefully, it'll be worth the wait :)

It is, of course, the slight downside of the Lead Painters League, that the regular painting output of many would-be participants dries up in the weeks beforehand...  ::)
The monumental effort of churning out 10 teams of figures for the LPL rather precludes painting a few figures here or there and sharing them freely as one goes along!

You could do a Westeros LPL scene :D

BIG fan of your project!
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #72 on: February 10, 2014, 04:15:14 PM »
A lovely piece of modelling there Captain Blood. I haven't been brave enough yet to try assembling and converting my Perry Mtd figures. I will be looking towards your WOTR & Westerosi for inspiration!
Warriors dreams, summer grasses, all that remains

Offline LordOdo

• Mastermind
    • StormToren (my wargame blog)
« Reply #73 on: February 10, 2014, 04:35:27 PM »
Wow!!  :o Could you please link me to all used boxes, I want this dude exactly the same ;D
''Its so much easier to build something new than work up the courage to actually paint some.'' -Wyrmalla (2015)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #74 on: February 10, 2014, 04:51:41 PM »
Wow!!  :o Could you please link me to all used boxes, I want this dude exactly the same ;D

lol

Well you should only need the Perry mounted men at arms and Wars of the Roses infantry boxes, plus one of the Fireforge mounted knight boxes - it doesn't really matter which, because the horses, bodies and shields are all the same...

The horse is a Fireforge caparisoned horse body, but with an armoured horse head from the Perry mounted MAA box. Much better horse heads than the FF horse heads which are hideous, although requires a bit of filling at the joint to make it fit. Had to reshape the saddle too.

The rider is one of the FF knight bodies and legs, with an armoured right arm and sword from the Perry MMAA set. The shield is also from the FF Templar knights box, as it the cloak.

The shield arm is from the command sprue in the Perry WOTR set. It's the pointing arm, cut in half and reset to take the shield. The helmet is from the same frame. Plus a bit of sprue glued on top to take the Green Stuff plume.