Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 05:00:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689762
  • Total Topics: 118294
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 7
Guests: 617
Total: 624

Recent

Author Topic: The Lead Painters League Season 8 - Rules  (Read 48418 times)

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
Re: The Lead Painters League Season 8 - Rules
« Reply #105 on: April 24, 2014, 10:18:26 AM »
We've already allowed use of a gaming board in this competition so yes, that would be okay.

Offline Klener Zorn

• Scientist
    • Zorns Blog
« Reply #106 on: May 08, 2014, 12:05:39 PM »

just a quick question that came to my mind

if i enter a team in the lpl.... do all miniatures ahve to be newly painted and unreleased miniatures or would it be ok if the team consits of miniatures that i have painted but yet did not enter in any lpl ?

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #107 on: May 08, 2014, 02:05:37 PM »
?? I thought you asked this question a couple of days ago... Did you not get an answer?

You can enter miniatures previously shown on LAF or anywhere else as a team in the LPL. But they will not get bonus points for a 'new' (previously unpublished) team.

The LPL is designed to encourage new painting - not to provide a showcase for things which have already been shown before.

So the bonus points are designed to encourage people to enter newly painted teams.

Offline Dolmot

• Mastermind
« Reply #108 on: May 08, 2014, 02:25:07 PM »
?? I thought you asked this question a couple of days ago... Did you not get an answer?

It was in the LPL 7 rules topic, and it would be cruel to change its rules retroactively. lol

Offline Klener Zorn

• Scientist
    • Zorns Blog
« Reply #109 on: May 08, 2014, 03:43:53 PM »

You can enter miniatures previously shown on LAF or anywhere else as a team in the LPL. But they will not get bonus points for a 'new' (previously unpublished) team.

The LPL is designed to encourage new painting - not to provide a showcase for things which have already been shown before.

So the bonus points are designed to encourage people to enter newly painted teams.

thanks for the info :D

oh and another question....
as i understood it the first 3 teams have to be "new"
so all in all i have to submit a new team any round ?!?!?
so a total of 10 teams....but i can enter a team that consists of already published miniatures after round 3 ?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 03:58:47 PM by Klener Zorn »

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #110 on: May 08, 2014, 05:02:17 PM »
thanks for the info :D

oh and another question....
so all in all i have to submit a new team any round ?!?!?
so a total of 10 teams....but i can enter a team that consists of already published miniatures after round 3 ?

Yes, you can submit a team again in successive rounds- but it wouldn't get 'new team' points and if you care about voting and the competition aspect, each time an entry is shown again it tends to received fewer votes as people prefer to see new stuff (again working under the spirit of the event which is to paint new stuff and reduce the lead pile).
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Klener Zorn

• Scientist
    • Zorns Blog
« Reply #111 on: May 08, 2014, 07:30:34 PM »
Yes, you can submit a team again in successive rounds- but it wouldn't get 'new team' points and if you care about voting and the competition aspect, each time an entry is shown again it tends to received fewer votes as people prefer to see new stuff (again working under the spirit of the event which is to paint new stuff and reduce the lead pile).

yeah i totally understand that..( also entering the same team would be boring).
its just that 10 teams equals 50 miniatures..... and considering im not playing alot of different systems i guess it would be impossible to paint 50 new miniatures
and as i tend to publish new and finished minis on my blog there would be a lot to choose from to build a team....but n ot a unpublished team as some minis may have already been published before !
i tend to work on a miniature by miniature basis and dont paint in batches of 5 or more because it gets boring !
then again i have a TON of 40K orks i have not photographed yet......or that i could use to "fill up" my team slots in times of need  ;)

Offline Dr Mathias

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #112 on: May 08, 2014, 08:29:28 PM »
The LPL may not be for you then. There's a lot of totally badass painters on the LAF that don't do the LPL because of those very reasons.

Also, some people appear to paint for months or maybe even years ahead of the LPL and save stuff for the comp :)

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #113 on: May 08, 2014, 09:23:18 PM »

Yes, the first three teams have to be new or at least never published on internet before.

Offline Klener Zorn

• Scientist
    • Zorns Blog
« Reply #114 on: May 09, 2014, 02:07:22 PM »
The LPL may not be for you then. There's a lot of totally badass painters on the LAF that don't do the LPL because of those very reasons.

Also, some people appear to paint for months or maybe even years ahead of the LPL and save stuff for the comp :)

still sounds like a fun competition....
i would not enter to win anyway  :D

and finishing 3 new teams sounds managable :D

also painting a few months ahead....seems like cheating for me  :D

oh and we need another LPC toppic then  ;D :D ;)

Offline Paddy649

• Scientist
« Reply #115 on: May 16, 2014, 09:46:13 AM »
Prof,

I notice that some entrants specify that they have used shield transfers in the title of their entries. 

As a LPL8 rule query - is this mandated by the rules?  Does any use of transfers need to be declared in an entry?  If not required it would appear to disadvantage honest entrants to admit to using transfers.

As a voter I don't think my vote is influenced much by this but I suppose if I liked 2 entries equally it may make a difference.

Paddy

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #116 on: May 16, 2014, 10:58:37 AM »
Prof,

I notice that some entrants specify that they have used shield transfers in the title of their entries. 

As a LPL8 rule query - is this mandated by the rules?  Does any use of transfers need to be declared in an entry?  If not required it would appear to disadvantage honest entrants to admit to using transfers.

As a voter I don't think my vote is influenced much by this but I suppose if I liked 2 entries equally it may make a difference.

Paddy

It's not required but mentioning it is considered to be fair.

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #117 on: May 28, 2014, 11:15:27 PM »
So, life got in the way of a number of participants in LPL -- just as it usually does late in the league. I noticed a lot of folks just "re-run" a submission from previous rounds. I also noticed that the voters usually are prejudiced against repeats (not that I blame them -- I'm guilty of the same emotions). I was wondering, though...

Let's say you're a participant and you know you won't get a new team painted in time. The way I see it, you have several options. I'll list them in descending order of the amount of time it takes.

Option #1: Take previously painted/published/submitted miniatures and restage and photograph them. Obviously, you let Alex know they do NOT get the "new" bonus.

Option #2: Take a submission of yours from a previous LPL and submit that. Similarly, you let Alex know it is NOT a new team.

Option #3: Rerun a submission from the current league.

My question is option #2 "bad form," or ungentlemanly? Some of the voters will recognize the repeat from a previous year, of course, but each year we have new members to the forum who have not seen it. I doubt all new members go through and read all threads from previous LPLs. There are two benefits to #2. One, a percentage of the readers get a chance to enjoy a picture they may never have seen before. The other (and where I ask if it is "bad form"), is the voters may not slam you as hard for a repeat entry.

Note that I did submit all new leagues this year, but in Round 10 of last year I chose Option #1 (photographing and submitting figures I'd shown on my website before). Obviously, if you are swamped and too busy to do #1 or #2, then #3 may be your only option available.

Curious to hear the input of the participants and the powers that be on this question....

Mike Demana

Offline Dr Mathias

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #118 on: May 29, 2014, 02:05:48 AM »
I guess it depends on the attitude of the person submitting.

Is the painter wanting to stay in the running to get as high as possible on the leaderboard? Probably option 2.

Is the painter trying to improve photo technique and composition? Thought they got low marks due to a blurred image? Option 1.

Just straight up out of time? Option 3.

I think submitting stuff from years ago could be bad form, but it's also kind of sad.Theoretically one should be improving. Believe it or not I've had students run out of time on final assignments in college courses and submit an artwork they did in high school.  :?

Offline Neldoreth

• Mastermind
    • An Hour of Wolves and Shattered Shields
« Reply #119 on: May 29, 2014, 02:59:10 AM »
Let's say you're a participant and you know you won't get a new team painted in time. The way I see it, you have several options. I'll list them in descending order of the amount of time it takes.

Option #1: Take previously painted/published/submitted miniatures and restage and photograph them. Obviously, you let Alex know they do NOT get the "new" bonus.

Option #2: Take a submission of yours from a previous LPL and submit that. Similarly, you let Alex know it is NOT a new team.

Option #3: Rerun a submission from the current league.

This year when I ran out of time on a few entries, I exercised option #1. Thankfully my final round entry was brand new for the competition!

Quote from: DrMathias
I think submitting stuff from years ago could be bad form, but it's also kind of sad.Theoretically one should be improving. Believe it or not I've had students run out of time on final assignments in college courses and submit an artwork they did in high school. :/

Funny you should mention this; recently I was looking at some of my older figs and realized that sadly I haven't really improved for a few years... like five years :`( Time for me to get to work and up my game I think!

Thanks
n.