Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 11:37:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690761
  • Total Topics: 118348
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Lead Painters League Season 8 - General Discussion  (Read 76974 times)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Re: The Lead Painters League Season 8 - General Discussion
« Reply #255 on: May 07, 2014, 09:31:11 AM »
I was hoping the LPL thing would facilitate me carving some time out of work and all the other stuff... in the end it was sleep time that was sacrificed :) It's been fun though, but tough on the brain chemistry! I'm enjoying it, as I always do and looking forward to the next few rounds!

n.

It's a poisonus drug, is what it is. I know it is not good for me, yet i persist.  >:D I am effing stupid that way just like the idea that I can drive through the narrow medieval streest of Visby with a combi while tired and stressed out like I did this morning. I could just *shit*: long sodding scratch along the side.  >:(

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #256 on: May 07, 2014, 10:11:12 AM »
Oooooh dear Peder  :(

Yes, the LPL is addictive. And hard work. Well, we all like a challenge, don't we?  ;)

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #257 on: May 07, 2014, 01:06:47 PM »
Oooooh dear Peder  :(

Yes, the LPL is addictive. And hard work. Well, we all like a challenge, don't we?  ;)

Loved your latest entry Mate!  One of my favorites so far! 

By the by, I also used to paint exclusively with a 10x brush.  Once one gets the hang of the paint drying a little faster and adjust, it's a great way to maintain total control. I only moved to try larger brushes after taking some mini painting classes and using a 0. I still tend to paint with smaller brushes anyway :D
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #258 on: May 07, 2014, 03:40:38 PM »
I only moved to try larger brushes after taking some mini painting classes and using a 0. I still tend to paint with smaller brushes anyway :D

Good man  ;)

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #259 on: May 07, 2014, 06:37:33 PM »
Disaster struck last night when the various arms and loose parts of my Round 10 entry got covered in a burst tube if superglue. I spent an hour cleaning them with one part pretty much ruined. It's the LPL equivalent of training injuries!  :)

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #260 on: May 07, 2014, 07:15:33 PM »
Disaster struck last night when the various arms and loose parts of my Round 10 entry got covered in a burst tube if superglue. I spent an hour cleaning them with one part pretty much ruined. It's the LPL equivalent of training injuries!  :)

Wow, you've had a run of bad luck this LPL. How many black cats crossed your path this year?

Have you tried soaking the parts in acetone? Don't try it on plastic, it will destroy certain types. 
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #261 on: May 07, 2014, 07:20:43 PM »
Wow, you've had a run of bad luck this LPL. How many black cats crossed your path this year?

Have you tried soaking the parts in acetone? Don't try it on plastic, it will destroy certain types. 

Funnily enough two live next door. They're always scrapping in my garden!

I'll see if I can get hold of some acetone and give it a try on the worst affected parts. Thanks!

Offline Dr Mathias

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #262 on: May 07, 2014, 07:51:33 PM »
If the parts are metal, it should do the trick.

Fingernail polish remover has acetone in it by the way, and might work on breaking down the superglue although pure acetone from the hardware store is much stronger. Theoretically you don't want acetone all over your hands, but when I glue my fingers together it's hard to avoid that :)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 12:06:30 AM by Dr Mathias »

Offline pacarat

• Mad Scientist
    • pacarat.blogspot.com
« Reply #263 on: May 08, 2014, 12:20:13 AM »
Well, i dropped one of my rd8 figures head first into a craft paint bottle last night... First time that has ever happened.

Luckily all the white paint came off, and just had to retouch a bit of the hair. I was sweating all the facial detail I had spent the past hour finessing.

It's always something.

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #264 on: May 08, 2014, 03:12:23 AM »
Well, i dropped one of my rd8 figures head first into a craft paint bottle last night... First time that has ever happened.

Everytime I lose my grip on a figure while spinning it around, I envision that happening. Thank goodness it hasn't yet. I'm not sure what would happen first if I did:expletives or me snatching it up and running for the sink...!

Mike Demana

Offline pacarat

• Mad Scientist
    • pacarat.blogspot.com
« Reply #265 on: May 08, 2014, 03:27:29 PM »
Everytime I lose my grip on a figure while spinning it around, I envision that happening. Thank goodness it hasn't yet. I'm not sure what would happen first if I did:expletives or me snatching it up and running for the sink...!

Mike Demana

First thing - loud expletives... Second thing - dunk figure in pint sized rinse jar on my paint table... Third thing - more loud expletives.

I have a tendency to crowd my painting surface...so the paint bottle was in the wrong place..and I was using the typical 25mm slotta base with nothing else attached, so it wasn't hard to lose my grip.

Normally I don't attach bases until painting is complete, but time is short this week.

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #266 on: May 09, 2014, 04:43:33 AM »
THIS week isn't the problem...in fact, I just sent in my entry. However, Round 9 is going to be rough. I leave Monday to chaperone a bus load of 8th graders to Washinton DC, and don't return till Friday. I've barely started on the entry, so I may have to admit defeat and submit a non-"New" team. I'll try, though... o_o

Good luck to everyone else getting their entries done. Dr. M...have you started on yours, yet? I know how you love that deadline pressure...! lol Reminds me of the cartoon of the cheetah who waits till the antelope gets further away before starting to chase it, to give it a sporting chance!  lol

Mike Demana

Offline Dr Mathias

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #267 on: May 09, 2014, 05:31:33 AM »
THIS week isn't the problem...in fact, I just sent in my entry. However, Round 9 is going to be rough. I leave Monday to chaperone a bus load of 8th graders to Washinton DC, and don't return till Friday. I've barely started on the entry, so I may have to admit defeat and submit a non-"New" team. I'll try, though... o_o

Good luck to everyone else getting their entries done. Dr. M...have you started on yours, yet? I know how you love that deadline pressure...! lol Reminds me of the cartoon of the cheetah who waits till the antelope gets further away before starting to chase it, to give it a sporting chance!  lol

Mike Demana

I'm in a similar boat :) I'll be doing the school chaperone thing myself- leaving for a week on the 17th  o_o

I have round 8 done, just photographed and sent it tonight. I'm not 100% sure what I'm doing for round 9, but I do know I need to have round 10 finished and sent in at the same time. I'm maybe 30% done on round 10.

This is the life!

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #268 on: May 09, 2014, 07:33:03 AM »
I just managed to pir together the setting for R08 before I sent on a Swiss vacation. R09 is painted but there is this piece of scenery I want to do. I hope I have time from Wednesday onwards. R10 is based, primed and basecoated, but as it is a prestige round one feels a certain preassure to put that 'bow' on it. Dear me...

Offline LordOdo

• Mastermind
    • StormToren (my wargame blog)
« Reply #269 on: May 09, 2014, 04:56:42 PM »
I just started making the scenery for round 10.. While I haven't finished the miniatures  for either 9 or 10..
Priorities.. ;D
''Its so much easier to build something new than work up the courage to actually paint some.'' -Wyrmalla (2015)