Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 11:32:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689795
  • Total Topics: 118296
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: In the bright dystopian future there is only CYBERPUNK (Update: March 5 '24)  (Read 129069 times)

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
Me and my mates Roon and Jase started with a new project for Pulp Alley. It's a Cyberpunk expansion, called Cyber Alley. So cyberspace, hacking, riggers with drones, combat drugs, androids and cybernetics...it's all there! But the genre requires a futuristic urban gaming area, which I don't really have. So time to get started and build myself a city *hums 'we built this city...on cyberpunk!'*. To do this I will be using the popular HDF/MDF buildings. I know there are a lot of people who don't like them, but I'm a big fan: they're cheap, easy to assemble, lightweight and I like their looks. In addition I will also be using the Ziterdes hardfoam buildings. These fit 30s pulp gaming, so with some adjustments will give me some nice dystopian looks. And of course there will be lots of clutter from all sorts.

I first started with some test pieces to see how I would tackle the painting. The Micro Art Studios Holo-ads are perfect: they are small and easy to paint and have enough things to experiment on.  I used VMA Intermediate Gray for the basecoat, then VMA Pale Blue and finally VMA White and was happy with the results. To get rid of the grayness and to add some funkiness to it, I added lots of OSL. Supereasy to do: aibrush with white, the airbrush the OSL with some ink and finally some white again for the light effect. Glue the Holo-ads in and done! I was happy with the result and decided to go on with this paint scheme.

Next up is a HDF building, also from Micro Art Studios: the district 5 garage box. Easy to assemble and a cool looking building. The only extra thing I added was a small computer terminal from Antenociti next to the access door. In terms of painting I airbrushed almost everything. An airbrush is ideal for this type of buildings as you can easily get a smooth finish with nice blends. I used VMA Intermediate Gray for the basecoat, then VMA Pale Blue and finally VMA White. The doors were done with VMA Ochre with P3 Brown Ink for the brown shade. The the real fun part: adding graffiti! Buch Models make an excellent rub-on graffiti set (link: http://www.busch-model.com/online/index.php?rubrik=3&sprach_id=en&art_id=6035&sprach_id=en). Just rub it on like you did with Donald Duck stickers in your childhood ;). I made sure I added them before varnishing, so the stickers were well protected by the gloss and matt varnish. To add a more dystopian look to it I added brown filth with the airbrush. It also makes the building pop more as the blue and brown tones work well.

Next up was the Food Booth 9000 from Warmill. As soon as this beauty was released, I knew I had to get one. I ordered the 'Happy Noodle' variant. The Warmill buildings are even easier to assemble than Micro Art buildings. The fit is better and more logical. It seems they use MDF instead of HDF, but the difference in painting is minimal. Once again almost everything was done with airbrush. I added a lot of neon lights and bright OSL colors, for this fits the image I have of Cyberpunk. After painting, the real fun started...adding details! Normally I don't care for 'open buildings' where you can place models inside. I think it's too much hassle during games. But for the Food Booth I had some silly ideas, so I added loads of stuff:
*Two pans (made from Busch flower pots with styrene rod as handles)
*Frying pan (made from the bottom of a baby milk powder spoon with two pieces of paper clip as handles)
*Leek, 2 unions, 2 carrots, meat (all green stuff)
*Kitchen knife (an Imperial Guard dagger)
*Soy, chili sauce and rice oil (three small resin pots I had)
*Red barrel with...something inside (Fenris Games barrel)
*Dirty bin (Fenris Games)
*Two servings of noodles (Busch Models Flower Pots with paperclips as chopsticks)
*Uzi (Foundry)
*TV screen (Antenociti with a printed image)
*Posters of noodles and a playboy chick
*Poster of Daft Punk
*Bag of rice (Tabletop World)
Finally, the noodles were done with sewing thread, dipped in Water Effects with some Citadel Cryphonne Sepia Wash
This buildings was loads of fun to build and I'm very happy with the end result!

(the Food Booth with the roof on top. You can see the first serving of noodles in the front)

(on the backside I also added some Busch graffiti and the Daft Punk poster)

My my, what a dirty kitchen. The bench is filled with food, a dirty pan, knife and chili sauce. On the stove is the big frying pan, the rice oil, some boiling water and noodles poster.

In the back you can see the barrel, on the stove is the Uzi and soy sauce.

On the left the bin and next to the window is the TV screen. Fat Freddy the cook is a cheeky git...watching Playboy TV the whole time! The second serving of noodles is just being served.

The man...the legend...Fat Freddy the cook manning his Bood Booth 9000. He may not have people skills, but his food is fantastic.

Miniatures
I also needed some miniatures to play Cyber Alley with my mates. I have loads of stuff (and of course ordered even more stuff :P) and decided to first build a corporate league:

Garner, Becker and Turner are all from East Riding Miniatures. I will be adding some cybernetics to both Garner and Turner to make sure they will get a more cyberpunk look. Nr. 9 and Miller are both from VOID; the assassin is a Knight of Balance which I converted. I clipped off his right katana and added a Hasslefree Ingram (which actually was QUITE A HASSLE to do :P). The Android is from EM4. They are all on Antenociti bases.
I quickly started painting Jurgen Becker, he's my favorite sculpt of the bunch. He HAD to get a purple trench coat ;)

Next up is the Food Booth's chef: Fat Freddy. His belief: never trust a skinny chef. He doesn't have any people skills whatsoever but makes excellent noodles. The Happy Noodle often is a place of violence so Freddy makes sure he brings his own protection with some brass knuckles and a loaded Uzi. You don't want to mess with Freddy...

Next up will be more paintjobs on some scenery and more painted models of the League.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2024, 10:16:33 PM by Malebolgia »
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Re: In the bright dystopian future there is only CYBERPUNK
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 07:53:46 AM »
Really effective work on those buildings! This is a great start to your project. I'm looking forward to seeing your table set up.

Offline Doomsdave

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 08:15:54 AM »
Stunning project.  Exceptional work throughout.  I will be lifting that noodle trick for sure.  :D
This is my boomstick!

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 08:22:18 AM »
cracking stuff! I'll be watching this one for sure!

Offline Ruther

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 08:48:05 AM »
Great paint jobs on the building and a cool project i keep an eye on.
There stands jackson like a stonewall

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 09:11:08 AM »
That is an awesome start! 8)

I've been ogling those lasercut buldings for some time now too, and seeing what you've done with them has only confirmed that they're absolutely worth it.

Especially your airbrush work sets them off really well, although I'm not fully sold on the very bright finish you chose, in regard to the setting. Cyberpunk to me has always been rather dark and brooding, with loads of decay, litter and bad lighting (I'm sure we've all just been indoctrinated by Scott's vision of Blade Runner though ;) ).

I am especially impressed by the holo-adds and the food stand; they're just perfect and your additions really give the kitchen a grimy, used look!

I also really like the large pieces of graffiti, but I feel the smaller ones are a bit too bright and random. They look like they were stuck on, like posters. So maybe tone their brightness down a bit by very lightly misting them with the wall's base colour? Of course you've already sealed the buildings, so perhaps that's not an option anymore...

The minis are also great; excellent selection and paintjobs. They're all cyberpunks to a fault :D

Are you going for an entire table like this? And if yes; how large a surface will you be doing? Your rules sound enticing too. Are they an official expansion, or houserules?
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Centaur_Seducer

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Gubbspel
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2014, 10:04:07 AM »
Oh, this is a great start! :-*
At first it lookee too airbrushed, but then I realised with all stuff together, it looks awesome!

Offline Earther

• Mastermind
  • Sat at my Mac, lusting after lead…
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2014, 10:13:14 AM »
I'll be following this one! :D Loves me some Cyberpunk me! 8)

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2014, 10:32:27 AM »
Shiny  8) 8)

Love the posters  :D

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2014, 11:02:38 AM »
Excellent models and painting, especially the burger bar. I love Jürgen with his purple coat, and the cook looks like a fat Riddick  :D

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2014, 11:16:27 AM »
Cheers lads! Much appreciated :)

I've been ogling those lasercut buldings for some time now too, and seeing what you've done with them has only confirmed that they're absolutely worth it.

Especially your airbrush work sets them off really well, although I'm not fully sold on the very bright finish you chose, in regard to the setting. Cyberpunk to me has always been rather dark and brooding, with loads of decay, litter and bad lighting (I'm sure we've all just been indoctrinated by Scott's vision of Blade Runner though ;) ).

I am especially impressed by the holo-adds and the food stand; they're just perfect and your additions really give the kitchen a grimy, used look!

I also really like the large pieces of graffiti, but I feel the smaller ones are a bit too bright and random. They look like they were stuck on, like posters. So maybe tone their brightness down a bit by very lightly misting them with the wall's base colour? Of course you've already sealed the buildings, so perhaps that's not an option anymore...

The minis are also great; excellent selection and paintjobs. They're all cyberpunks to a fault :D

Are you going for an entire table like this? And if yes; how large a surface will you be doing? Your rules sound enticing too. Are they an official expansion, or houserules?

The bright finish was intentional, as I don't really like dark scenery. The OSL would have popped more, but generally I prefer a lighter version for the scenery. I may go back later and add grime and filth to the scenery but I first want to finish more buildings to get a good feel of how they all work together.

I totally agree on the graffiti...the large ones are fanatastic but the small ones are on the silly side and are too 'goody two-shoe' for Graffiti. I have ordered four sets of graffiti from eBay, but unfortunately these are decals, so take more time to apply than these. Because that's the main selling point of these stickers. I think I applied all of them within 25 minutes. And I don't want to spend too much time on stuff like graffiti.

Concerning the table, I'm aiming for a 4' x 4' table. I have backed the Battle Boards Kickstarter so by May I have a good 6' x 4' playing area which I can use as the base for the buildings. I really like the look of the Battle Boards, but I will probably add some Modelmates grime to it.
For Pulp Alley I'm mailing the rules with Dave and we're looking into making it into an official expansion. So hopefully more info on that later!

I have several buildings waiting for me to get done, namely:

*Micro Art Studios District 5 building (3 stories)
*Micro Art Studios District 5 building (2 stories)
*Micro Art Studios District 5 L-shaped building (2 stories)
*Micro Art Studios Guard House (2 stories)
(I have added lots of details to the buildings, mainly Antenociti viewscreens)
*Micro Art Studios hardfoam sci-fi buildings (a cheap way for taking space and blocking line of sight)
*Ziterdes Factory (which will be enhanced with lots of viewscreens, computers, etc. to make it more sci-fi)
*Ziterdes (huge 3 storey building...will also be pimped)
*Micro Art Studios power generator
*Secret Weapon Miniatures power generator (which basically is a smaller version of the MAS generator, so nice!)
*10-15 Micro Art Studios wall pieces (including a holo-ad and a gate)
*10-15 planters from Fenris Games
*10-15 planters from Antenociti's Workshop
*4 Air movers from Antenociti's Workshop
*~5 skips
*4 wheelie bins from Antenociti's Workshop
*~20 viewscreens of several sizes from Antenociti's Workshop
*2 Communication Arrays from BP Laser
*~20 HDF neon boards to hang on buildings, also BP Laser
*6 park benches from a Hong Kong eBay shop
*8 hedges (resin, forgot the manufacturer), ideal as linear obstacles around parks

And I will order a load of Antenociti cars in the coming months. I think I want 2 cop cars and about 6 normal cars and of course a Spinner. And some more HDF buildings from Warsenal and Warmill. But I don't really need a lot more stuff...I think I can fill up the table well. I mainly want more "stuff" to decorate the alleyways with...things like cardboard boxes, garbage, etc. This adds some cover to the alleys and will make them fit in more with the Cyberpunk look.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2014, 11:26:57 AM »

Ditto!

Between yourself and Matakishi, you are starting to change my mind regarding MDF buildings.
My original thoughts were that they were ok for Old West but not really anything else.
I am starting to broaden my opinion on them now.
With a little work they can look really good, especially for the more 'futuristic' settings.
 8)

Love the minis, they are gonna look great, but that Diner takes the biscuit!
 :-* :-* :-*
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 01:43:39 PM by Mason »

Offline Dentatus

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Stalker7.com
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2014, 01:23:23 PM »
Oooooh, shiny! Great work.

Count me jealous and very interested.

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2014, 04:18:28 PM »
Yummie ! stunning work.
Seems like we got another super-thread in the making. 8)
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Photobucket: http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd388/zizi666/
BGG: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/zizi666

Offline Cholly

• Scientist
  • Put the gun down.............Please?
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2014, 04:23:33 PM »
Wonderful!!

A superb level of detail (wok, noodle cartons etc) and a lovely paint job. Also a lovely use of one of my all time favourite miniatures.

Matt