Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:35:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689748
  • Total Topics: 118292
  • Online Today: 821
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: How do old Glory stand next to Northstar?  (Read 1155 times)

Offline Irishrover13

• Scientist
  • Most of what I say is lost in translation.
How do old Glory stand next to Northstar?
« on: February 10, 2014, 11:33:27 PM »
I want to get some figures from both Old Glory and Northstar and I wondering how they compare size wise?
“You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
― C.S. Lewis

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
Re: How do old Glory stand next to Northstar?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 11:36:30 PM »
Old Glory will be a fair bit smaller. The majority of their figures also suck ass (my personal opinion of course).
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline Stepman3

• Scientist
    • http://stepman3.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 01:31:09 PM »
I dont know that Old Glory "suck ass". Their sculpts can be rather weird I guess. I do have a lot of product from OG but I will only use it against other OG figures so as not to make the figures lack luster against other better sculpted figs. But as far as variety, OG covers more conflicts and eras  IMO then any other company out there. They are great to build units with having 30 figures a pack and if you get the OG Army card you get 40% off your price.

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 02:51:33 PM »
I bought a load of Colonial stuff from them a while back and never used a single figure. People like to say they are great value for money but they aren't cheap if you just end up with 180 figures in a bag because there is nothing you'd be willing to use. Sold a few but most I had to give away in the end. Made the decision right there that I'd rather spend a bit more money on figures than have rubbish.

There were a few figures that were okay but not enough to make them worthwhile. I've since been told by a sculptor that OG have about 4 figures sculpted for each pack and then someone 'in house' converts them to create the variety of poses... with the results we see.

They certainly fill their niche and lots of people like them, although I suspect it's the price they like most. Just not for me  :D

Offline MalcyBogaten

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 03:13:05 PM »
Yeah I bought a load of Old Glory Colonials way back and they were a very mixed bunch, teetering toward the rubbish. Some packs had the odd useful figure in them but they tend toward small/short 25-28mm.
The "Breakneck Brigade" as some of my friends called them. (Some heads being strangely angled, looking behind themselves as they bring a gun to shoulder)

Offline Governor General

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 04:55:10 PM »
I'm fond of "the break neck brigade" figure in the Old Glory miniatures. I call them "Hey Steve" because it looks like they're calling out to someone.The figs blend well size wise with older Foundry and Pulp Figures miniatures. As far as how they look, well that's a matter of taste, oysters or snails Antoninus. I use them to flesh out armies at a reasonable price. The company is easy to order from and has always provided good service to me. They also carry the  West Wind,  Blue Moon and Chaos in Cairo lines of miniatures.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 05:00:02 PM by Governor General »