Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 07:38:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690601
  • Total Topics: 118339
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Craig is a genius!  (Read 5792 times)

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Wargame News and Terrain
Re: Craig is a genius!
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2014, 03:39:06 PM »
Thank yopu craig and others .
I did not think that you had to paint soldiers i thought that you could just make a list and discuss it.
This is all new to me but the people who paint soldiers must have more fun than the ones that dont.

I think i will look at some of the soldiers that you recomend.
@Belgian: Thank you for that link.
The toy soldiers seem very expensive on it, much more than in a normal toy shop.

Craig; I cant find any of your toy soldiers, or are the ones on the blog painted by you?

I dont know what all this serial killer thing is about.
I am not a serail killer.

First of welcome on the Lead Adventure Forum and also welcome in the wonderful hobby of wargaming. To give you an idea almost every miniature sold for playing games such as IHMN are sold unpainted. There are a lot of miniatures in all sorts of scales such as 1/72 sold by for example Airfix and so on but IHMN is played with miniatures who are scaled 28mm.

Here on the forum we are all familiar with the dozens if not hundreds of wargame miniature manufacturers around. These companies create all sorts of miniatures suited for all sorts of games and genres so if you can say which company you want to create we can give you driection towards interesting companies and cheap alternatives.

I hope this was all clear and please forget the serial killer thing as that was intended as a joke  ;) If you have questions please ask as the spirit of LAF is very helpful and always looking for new people interested in the hobby.

Kind regards
Wargame News and Terrain Blog, daily updated with the latest wargame news

Interested click https://wargameterrain.blogspot.com/

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2014, 06:48:27 PM »
Without wanting to perturb anyone, 'avid fan' was the sign off used in the original Red Dragon novel when Francis Dollarhyde (a serial killer) sent a secret message to Hannibal Lector (a serial killer).

:D

Steve, when I see all your movie-comments I know, that you own my collection with english soundtrack
Victory Decision Vietnam here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=43264.0

Victory Decision Spacelords here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=68939.0

My pictures: http://pictures.dirknet.de/

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2014, 07:02:12 PM »
Steve, when I see all your movie-comments I know, that you own my collection with english soundtrack

lol

We clearly share great taste  ;) :D
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline avidfan

• Lurker
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2014, 12:09:16 PM »
Thank you everyone, especially Belgian your comments and sugesttions are very helpfull.
I am not sure what some of these comments are about movies.
I was asking about the soldiers.
I see that there are lots of different soldiers available and they do not come painted.
I doo not think that i can paint them because they look very small but i would like to get some and get kev dallimorr to paint them for me that would be nice.
I want to get a company of women soldiers and wondered if that can be done as all the soldiers are men can you get women soldiers   ?

@graciasglenn: What is the 10%

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Wargame News and Terrain
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2014, 12:28:09 PM »
Thank you everyone, especially Belgian your comments and sugesttions are very helpfull.
I am not sure what some of these comments are about movies.
I see that there are lots of different soldiers available and they do not come painted.
I doo not think that i can paint them because they look very small but i would like to get some and get kev dallimorr to paint them for me that would be nice.
I want to get a company of women soldiers and wondered if that can be done as all the soldiers are men can you get women soldiers   ?

I don't have a huge knowledge of female miniatures especially none in the victorian era but can sum up a few of a mixture of periods to get you started.

Copplestone - female adventurers http://www.copplestonecastings.co.uk/range.php?range=BOB
Reaper Miniatures - all sorts of female miniatures http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/Chronoscope%20female
Empress Miniatures - Miliciana Female militia http://www.empressminiatures.com/userimages/procart29.htm

Not an expert on the field of female miniatures especially not victorian one but I'm sure others can sum up more appropriate miniatures and companies.

On the matter of Kev Dallimore, I'm not sure if he's accepting painting work but if he does the price would most likely be in the dozens of £ a miniature as he's a very talented and an experienced miniature painter. But there are people on the forum that can paint your miniatures for much less a piece.

Cheers

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Youth & Talent are no match for Age and Treachery.
    • The Ministry of Gentlemanly Warfare
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2014, 12:30:29 PM »

The figures are available from many different companies on the internet and, as you say, they are not normally painted. There are artists out there who do paint figures for money, but they are really quite expensive (anywhere between £5 and £10 per figure). I doubt that Kev Dallimore would be available to do these for you as he has contracts with a number of figure companies that he paints for (though I would be happy for him to tell me I'm wrong).

A few companies do Victorian women soldiers. One of the best is Hinterland: http://hinterlandminiatures.weebly.com/

Painting is not really as difficult as you might think. It is a hobby in itself and good fun. There are plenty of articles and even videos on the web to assist new painters. Ask around your friends you may find that there are some who paint figures and would be willing to give you a hand, or join a local wargames club.
My sincerest contrafibularities
General Lord Craig Arthur Wellesey Cartmell (ret'd)
https://theministryofgentlemanlywarfare.wordpress.com/

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2014, 12:46:04 PM »
I doo not think that i can paint them

Actually painting the miniatures is half of the fun of this wonderful hobby that people in this forum share, the other half is the gaming of course. Painting is not as difficult as it may appear at first glance.

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2014, 10:34:20 PM »
<snip>

Sturgeon's Law‎ says, "ninety percent of everything is crap," which implies everything good in the 10%.  Sorry if the "Official Old Guy" reference mislead.

So, if it is the 10% you search for... then IHMN is in that 10%.  Rather high in that 10%.  Other than Two Hour Wargames products, IHMN might be one of the best wargames currently on the market IMNSHO.

Gracias,

Glenn

IMNSHO = In My Not So Humble Opinion
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 10:37:19 PM by Conquistador »
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!