Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:46:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690626
  • Total Topics: 118340
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: RCW/BoB in 10mm?  (Read 2307 times)

Offline TheBlackCrane

• Mad Scientist
    • Tales of the Black Crane
RCW/BoB in 10mm?
« on: February 13, 2014, 11:14:50 PM »
I'm forever coming back to ideas for RCW or BoB projects, and one of these days I might get as far as going beyond the planning side... Having recently bough 'The Bloody White Baron' and being a highly suggestible type when it comes to new projects, I'm back to it again. My latest thoughts turn to the possibilities in 10mm.

Pendraken are the obvious go-to for RCW/WW1 range to fit out RCW forces, although their Russian range seems a little small just wondering whether there are any others worth looking at? Magister Militum?

Anyone been able to come up with the Ungern-Sternberg's cavalry in 10mm? I'm guessing that might be quite difficult, likewise basmachi types for other RCW? How about the various cossacks?

Or should I just go 15mm and head in the direction of Peter Pig instead? Which does give the added advantage of options for Poles for 1920. Or even the Finnish Civil War.

Cheers!
Rob

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
Re: RCW/BoB in 10mm?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 06:16:05 AM »
Gosh, I do that! Start looking at one range and, before you know it, the project has quadrupled in size.......

In 10mm, stuff like Cossacks, etc, may well be in the Napoleonic or Crimea sections.  :D
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Mark Plant

• Mad Scientist
    • Pygmy Wars : Russian Civil War and Related Stuff
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 07:07:54 PM »
I don't think anyone does Basmachi in 15mm either. Only larger scales.

However, you don't need Basmachis, Cossacks, Poles and Ungern-Sternberg. They're different theatres. I suggest you pick a theatre, then look at what ranges might fit that one. If you're doing Ungern-Sternberg, then there's no need to worry about Basmachis and vice versa.

Peter Pig don't really do RCW Poles btw. They do WWI Haller's Army in France, which are close to useless for 1920 Poles (the cavalry are OK, and the staff pack is useful, but the infantry not). Nearly all Poles in 1920 wore round caps or helmets, and no-one wore all the trench kit with gas-masks etc.

You can go the route of the Blue army in Poland, but it has no advantages over doing Poznanians (German uniforms) or ex-Russians or Legion.

Offline TheBlackCrane

• Mad Scientist
    • Tales of the Black Crane
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 08:10:36 PM »
Gosh, I do that! Start looking at one range and, before you know it, the project has quadrupled in size.......

In 10mm, stuff like Cossacks, etc, may well be in the Napoleonic or Crimea sections.  :D

Hadn't thought of that, good point, thanks.
I do find that with projects, thing is everything is so interesting!

...you don't need Basmachis, Cossacks, Poles and Ungern-Sternberg. They're different theatres.

True, different theatres, but I find them all fascinating so will have a hard time sticking to just one. As it is I was thinking of expansion possibilities once I'd built forces for one theatre. Thanks for the info on the Poles, I've read around but hadn't got so far as specifics so it's useful to know w/re the Peter Pig range.

I'm guessing for most of the theatres or surrounding wars I will have to press other ranges into service anyway, especially if it comes to the Finnish Civil War or somesuch.

Offline Mark Plant

• Mad Scientist
    • Pygmy Wars : Russian Civil War and Related Stuff
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2014, 08:37:34 AM »
My experience is that the variety inside each RCW theatre is more than enough. There's no need to go looking for other theatres.

There were Polish units in Siberia, albeit not in Polish uniforms. Czechs. Romanians. Germans. Austrians. Japanese. US.

I painted eight different brigades/divisions, and I only do South Russia.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 08:42:07 AM by Mark Plant »