Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 07:49:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 2nd Boer War for BLAM14 (UD 8/5 - progress with sculpting the troops)  (Read 56591 times)

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
This is more of a workbench thread but as I need as much Colonial guidance as possible I thought I'd place it here  :D

A couple of years ago I received a prize in a LAF comp organised by esteemed moderator Dylan (Plynkes): Battle in Africa 1879 -1914 by Howard Whitehouse.  I've often picked it up and thumbed through, wondering about some sort of African based game, but it wasn't until I recently played on Captain Blood's superb 'donga' board with Malamute's equally inspiring colonial light horse, that an idea finally settled.

I have a big summer-set project (medieval WotR) and a big winter-set project (post apoc SSS) and so this will be my arid enterprise! I am thinking of maybe a 3'x3' board with a railway line that bridges a donga, with an adjacent blockhouse that guards the bridge.  It's relatively late war so the scenario will be a guerrilla action by the boers to blow the bridge. Light horse can come in, in support of the small blockhouse garrison (especially if the telegraph wires aren't cut) or it all goes loud.

I'm a big fan of Perry Miniatures but they don't do a 2nd Boer War range, so I am starting with a couple of packs, from the Mafeking and Sudan ranges.

First up is a test purchase of the Mafeking white civilians in firing poses:

http://www.perry-miniatures.com/product_info.php?cPath=23_41&products_id=2129

To become Boers they'll be needing beards and bandoliers.  Also I can't make out what rifles they have but I am sculpting a Mauser M93/95.

For the Empire, I am starting with a pack of Sudan dismounted camel corp infantry.

http://www.perry-miniatures.com/product_info.php?cPath=23_35_49&products_id=2404

As blockhouse garrison, I expect that I will use as is - they come with pith helmets and puttees but lack the 'webbing' of a British infantryman, though I'd appreciate advise on suitability of bandolier and knapsack for a late war infantry rig out.

Assuming the infantry work, I might also use them for light horse, replacing pith with slouch hat (being sculpted) and converting the puttees to trouser bottoms or, more likely, calf length boots.

For horses I am toying with using the Perry WotR plastic horse sprues, suitably converted by me making a leg and saddle set up that the aforementioned Boer and Empire troops can have their upper bodies connected to.

Next update after the post arrived (and after I've watched Breaker Morant).
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 05:05:09 PM by Silent Invader »
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Re: Second Boer War for BLAM14
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 12:00:53 PM »
Ooh, this sounds like fun!

Foundry has a small Boer War range with some quite nice figures, if you can stomach their prices. You could supplement your efforts with some of those if you choose. I think they would fit in with Perry figures reasonably well, size-wise.

For the blockhouse stage of the war, Brits were more commonly found in slouch hats than helmets, infantry and cavalry. That and the fact that Boer guerillas were forced at this time by necessity to resupply themselves (guns, ammo, food, clothing, etc.) from British camps and supply columns mean that the two sides begin to resemble each other somewhat at this stage of the war, in both clothing and equipment. Er, except you probably wouldn't find many Boers wearing kilts.  :) That's something to bear in mind when thinking of figures, but the helmet was by no means totally extinct at this point, if you are emotionally wedded to that idea.

A couple of things about using those Perry Brits: They are equipped with Martinis, which are out of date for British regulars for this date. Whether this is a problem is totally your call. A 28mm rifle isn't all that noticeable on a game table, after all. The other is that generally (but not exclusively) Brit helmets had covers on them in the Boer War. A bit of Greenstuff could fix that, or again, it wouldn't hurt at all if left. Bandoliers are almost a requirement for late-war figures. No need to worry on that score. There is a photo of a small blockhouse garrison of Highlanders in slouch hats and kilts, and they have forsaken their standard equipment for bandoliers, so they weren't just used by mounted troops at this point.

You don't need to replace the puttees for cavalry. That's generally what they wore at this time.

The Mafeking Civilian volunteer figures have Martinis by the way. Some Boers were still using these during the war, they would be rather uncommon during the Guerilla stage, but you still might find a few being used (meaning you could leave some of the figures as they are if you get tired of making Mausers). Quite a few (most?) of the figures already have bandoliers too, so you won't have too much work there.

Hope some of that helps, and you don't think I'm telling you what to do. Just trying to arm you with some info so you know your options. Feel free to ignore them, it's only a game, after all. Can't wait to see how this goes, and what choices you eventually make. Good luck!  :)
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 12:11:26 PM »
Cheers Dylan that is all great!

I saw you were on the thread for a long time and have been popping back in the hope of a big post!   :D

I might use the foundry as well but shall see.  I want the Empire troops to have the right rifle (I'm going to try and be as 'correct' as possible) so when the pack arrives I'll have a look and see if I can get away with substituting the front woodwork and barrel, etc.

Scots in kilts with slouch hats and bandoliers sound fun and could perhaps be a cut and shut of the Sudan Highlsnders and Dismounted Camel Corps.

As you'll have noticed, I am planning to complete for BLAM  :D

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 12:28:13 PM »
The good thing about Boer War kilts is that they had khaki covers on the front (no sporran either), so you only have to paint the tartan on the back!  :)

I've always wanted to do some sort of a blockhouse game (possibly with some slouch-hatted highlanders). But I've never yet really been inspired by any Boer War figure ranges I've seen, and it usually takes that to get me into a period (I like the Foundry Boers, but the Brits don't do anything for me). And unlike you, I'm too lazy/inept to go very far down the conversion route.

So I am rather keen to see this come to fruition, that I may enjoy the project vicariously.

Here's that photo I was thinking of:

Right scruffy looking lot. I think I might have the energy to hazard an attempt at just one such conversion, when the Painting Club bandwagon rolls into Colonial territory. But I'm buggered if I'm doing any more than that.  :)

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 12:36:26 PM »
Thanks again Dylan.

Great photo and so I've added some perry highlanders to the order!  :D

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 01:34:28 PM »
Sounds great Steve! I can't wait to see the fruits if your labour at BLAM!!

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 01:52:18 PM »
I gamed 2nd Boer War many moons after pickig up some Foundry brits at a bring and buy ;D

They arent bad figures and they do sell a small range of colonials/cavalry in slouch hats. Old glory is only other range I have seen and had many of those. They are a bit rough and ready so unless you have the wonga, or chance by them on ebay I would avoid buying them (the weird head poses on some and dodgy thin rifles and bayonets had me screaming at one point)

I never got their boers so cant comment. Their artillery is quite nice and I did have pom poms but if you are doing later war then may not be the wat to go.

Another option may be to look for Boxer rebellion types as an alternative source. Not ideal as most are royal marines but you may be lucky

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2014, 02:42:30 PM »
Thanks guys  :)

I'm going for skirmish which will reduce the number of minis required, and I hadn't intended on big guns but ...... Hmmmm ..., there's always the possibility of an armoured train for the track  lol

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2014, 03:04:03 PM »
 ;D

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2014, 03:15:45 PM »
They must have been quite worried about the engine being too cold in the winter to go to all that trouble... hadn't they heard of Benylin at the end of the 19th Century  lol

Darrell.

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2014, 03:21:09 PM »
Dougal!

:D

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2014, 04:03:13 PM »
Dougal!

:D

lol

It's a dogs life being a train..... I'll get me coat  :)

Darrell.

Offline Hobbit

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2014, 08:17:51 PM »
Redoubt do a 2nd Anglo-Boer War range that quietly slipped out a couple of years ago. They aren't really to my taste but they may tickle your fancy: http://www.redoubtenterprises.com/shop/?page=shop/browse&category_id=293d742e12f610bb074f6ed0a00d2bf0

They also do Boxer Rebellion and you might want to pinch some of the Royal Marines from that for garrison troops: http://www.redoubtenterprises.com/shop/?page=shop/browse&category_id=d1907598335b7e35273723b82efc8a86

Studio Miniatures do British regulars for the NWF:
http://www.studiominiatures.com/shop/empire/northwest-frontier.html

and again they also do the RMLI: http://www.studiominiatures.com/shop/empire/the-boxer-rebellion.html

and Newline do some Boers with Martinis: http://newlinedesigns.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=521_523

There are, of course, lots of half-decent Boers out there designed for the Anglo-Zulu Wars.

My own collection is the old Foundry range and other than one really awful pose in the British range (the figure advancing with fixed bayonet) they're not bad but there are few variations by today's standards. The one thing that is missing is some regular British cavalry.

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2014, 08:55:44 PM »
Thanks Hobbit that's a very helpful listing.

I'm also aware of the Emperess Miniatures range.

:)

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2014, 09:26:39 PM »
Off on a tangent Steve?  :D

Looking forward to seeing the board  8)

cheers

James