Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 11:11:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690336
  • Total Topics: 118326
  • Online Today: 594
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Roman Street Gang  (Read 58447 times)

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
Re: Roman Street Gang
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2014, 06:00:29 PM »
That's really a mean looking gang and the figures are offering lots of useful options. I gues it's our LAF Killshot who has painted them? Top job as usual.

Offline Rotorcraft

• Bookworm
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2014, 09:41:52 PM »
That's really a mean looking gang and the figures are offering lots of useful options. I gues it's our LAF Killshot who has painted them? Top job as usual.

I suppose he is the same guy. I linked the pictures from his log in Warseer:

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?83705-Killshot-Production-log&s=2034d6a0d764bc3907a9cff26a628e03&p=2479389&viewfull=1#post2479389

Regards.

Offline nervisfr

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Ch'ti Ré-Animator
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2014, 10:45:43 AM »
I suppose he is the same guy. I linked the pictures from his log in Warseer:

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?83705-Killshot-Production-log&s=2034d6a0d764bc3907a9cff26a628e03&p=2479389&viewfull=1#post2479389

Regards.

Thanks for the pics of the irish. Great convertion potential..... ;D
Excellent paint job
Frenchy Eric, aka Ch'ti Eric or Re-Animator
"J'ai bon caractere mais j'ai le glaive vengeur et le bras seculier"

http://chti-reanimator59.blogspot.fr[

Offline Carpathian

• Bookworm
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2014, 05:43:29 AM »
Great ideas.    I am also a fan of the John Maddox Roberts books, in which street crime, brawls, and the like are encountered.

The sica, or curved blade had a reputation as a weapon of choice for criminals.   Don't know if anyone makes the figures, but fantasy cloaked assassins might work. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sica

Armed legionaries were prohibited within the walls of Rome, but there were still Caesar's own Praetorian guards.  Neighboring towns, such as Rome's bustling port of Ostia probably saw a lot of armed men coming and going.

Offline nervisfr

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Ch'ti Ré-Animator
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2014, 11:02:06 AM »
Great ideas.    I am also a fan of the John Maddox Roberts books, in which street crime, brawls, and the like are encountered.

The sica, or curved blade had a reputation as a weapon of choice for criminals.   Don't know if anyone makes the figures, but fantasy cloaked assassins might work. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sica

some guys from Gripping Beast (Ligurian range) that could be used with little convertion work as "sica" men in a street fight !

Eric

Offline Carpathian

• Bookworm
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2014, 02:39:23 AM »
Old Glory Thracians might work for sica men.   Anyway, they are carrying sica blades.

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2014, 06:47:23 AM »
As far as I understand, Sica is a sort of a large knife and not a big two-handed sword like this Rhomphaia. Also Sica hasn't been a two-handed weapon and I think it would be a bit difficult to hide a large weapon like this in the folds of the clothes.

Anyway, I think it shouldn't be too difficult to file down any sort of a sword or something like this to a Sica-shape.

Offline nervisfr

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Ch'ti Ré-Animator
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2014, 07:50:27 AM »
The sica is a sword but a Rhomphaïa (the thracian falx) can be shortened at the handle.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 07:54:03 AM by nervisfr »

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2014, 09:11:20 AM »
Romans weren't known for clear-cut terminology for sure. :D
The sica was first and foremost a dagger or knife, possibly with a curved blade, the cutting edge on its inner side since it was made to "slice" (secare), a bit like a sickle (surprisingly from Latin secula, "small sica"). The very same term was then applied to Thracian/Dacian weapons which featured curved blades as well. Their largest specimen were called falces, in turn the Latin term for "sickles". And don't mention rhompaia/rumpia-type swords which were said to be used as spears as well… o_o

However, sicarii (as a legal term for murderers) would be literal "cutthroats", deemed to employ insidious slicing sica-weapons. Their name's not with a specific weapon in mind, though.

All in all, almost any dagger/shortsword-wielding figure would do for an assassin or murderous thug. Still one of my favourites of the specifically Roman kind is this gentleman killer in the upper right corner:

Or the same one in a more casual stance:

« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 10:42:34 AM by Mad Doc Morris »

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2014, 11:07:30 AM »
Damn, 10 days ago at Tactica, I have been holding this Foundry blister with the Assassin guy in my hands and been thinking about buying it or not. My only concern has been that the figures are a bit on the small side. Now seeing it again I realize, I should have bought it, no matter the size, it's an amazing miniature as well as the rest of the pack.

Thanks for the hints, Doc, very useful as usual.  I didn't know there is a term for murderers called sicarii. I like it, sounds mean and dangerous. Regarding the sica  you're surely right in terms of lack of clear terminology and that any sort of knife would work. Though having a curved dagger on a figurine certainly gives to it a certain amount of authenticity, at least for the readers of Maddox' books  :)

All that talk about murderers and blades makes me want to start some conversion work. It crosses just my mind, actually I've got a lot of Foundry gladiators armed with sica. They perhaps aren't a bad idea for conversions.

Offline rumacara

• Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2014, 06:52:42 PM »
Hello all

Some updates to my band and some law and order forces.

Cheers

Rumacara

Offline rumacara

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2014, 07:01:33 PM »
Stop all

News from Ostia.
Marcus Pullius a well known gang leader was finally caught after hard fight from the roman authorities :D :D

Unfortunately next day another ganger took its place lol lol

Offline rumacara

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2014, 10:04:49 PM »
and now the tent :?

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2014, 12:15:02 PM »
I've just noticed that Gripping Beast have a whole range of unarmoured legionaries. You would have to replace the heads (as they all have helmets) and probably cut off the sword scabbards, but it seems like there are a lot of potential gang members / citizens available there. http://www.grippingbeast.com/shop.php?CatID=50

Offline nervisfr

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Ch'ti Ré-Animator
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2014, 12:43:16 PM »
I've just noticed that Gripping Beast have a whole range of unarmoured legionaries. You would have to replace the heads (as they all have helmets) and probably cut off the sword scabbards, but it seems like there are a lot of potential gang members / citizens available there. http://www.grippingbeast.com/shop.php?CatID=50

Exact but the poses are not very dynamic.
See in the gladiators range too

http://www.grippingbeast.com/shop.php?CatID=52

and in the pictish range, the hunters (cut off the Xbow and then you have bad guys ready to ambush an innocent victim !