Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:08:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: armored steam tank  (Read 4179 times)

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
armored steam tank
« on: June 19, 2008, 12:40:29 PM »
OG haw renewd their website.

Checking it I found the following new(?) item:

http://oldglory25s.com/view_product.php?product=MCL30

suitable also for VSF
argsilverson

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
Re: armored steam tank
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 12:43:18 PM »
Splendid!

Just need to add some armour to the trailer to turn it into a 19thC "IFV"

OG are certainly on top form at the moment. Both this and the armoured stagecoach are very good and very affordable  ;D

Offline BlackStatic

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 01:08:21 PM »
This might be a stupid question, but what is the difference between this

http://oldglory25s.com/index.php

and this

http://www.oldgloryminiatures.com/index.asp

and what do they have to do with westwind productions?

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 01:11:02 PM »

and this

the latter seems the previous design of the webiste.
the former is the new one I found today on TMP.
OG has the WestWind range in US. [I think that WestWind is originally from US I am not sure. Speaking to Andy from OGUK we refers to it as "our sister company"

Offline BlackStatic

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 01:18:28 PM »

and this

the latter seems the previous design of the webiste.
the former is the new one I found today on TMP.
OG has the WestWind range in US. [I think that WestWind is originally from US I am not sure. Speaking to Andy from OGUK we refers to it as "our sister company"

thanks, i'll look at the first one from now on

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 10:14:28 AM »
I love that steam tank. Reminds me of a weird plan a German soldier had during the Nama revolution. Why - oh - why do I have other bills to pay for?  :?
Roky Erickson flies my spaceship!

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2008, 11:02:56 AM »
I think that WestWind is originally from US I am not sure. Speaking to Andy from OGUK we refers to it as "our sister company"

Westwind are British, but I think he probably means they allied themselves to OG for US distribution etc. They appear at all the major UK cons and very nice people they are too!

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2008, 11:10:26 AM »
Yes, good things must be told.
WestWind people are very friendly and efficient.
Of course I know them only from my mail orders, since it is impossible to come to UK shows.

Speaking about them Andy Copestake from OG in UK is also a geat guy, very friendly and nice!

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2008, 11:17:17 AM »
I love that steam tank. Reminds me of a weird plan a German soldier had during the Nama revolution. Why - oh - why do I have other bills to pay for?  :?

I haven't heard about that. Do you have any links for more information?

Offline Darkoath

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2008, 03:37:24 PM »
The OG armored wagon is taken from the old John Wayne/Kirk Douglas movie The War Wagon.

It had a gatling gun in the turret! :o

Excellent pulpish western movie! lol

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2008, 06:24:11 PM »

I haven't heard about that. Do you have any links for more information?

Sorry, no links. I found the information in a book called Morenga by Uwe Timm. I'll give you a short summary on this idea:

It was land surveyor (is there a world like that? You know, people who do the field work in order to make maps) called Treptow who had the idea of what he called a "Tropenauto". This "car" was a kind of lokomotive on wheels that could be turned. The steamengine could be fired with both coal or wood. The idea was to be able to move four or five trailors at once cross country in order to move goods at a faster and more reliable pace through the desert. The car was supposed to transport around 1500kg of cargo (the equivalent of 400 carriers on foot), had around 15-30hp with a estimated reach of up to 40km on flat ground with one load of water. Top speed around 15 - 20 km/h.

The whole construction would weigh around 1 ton. Uuups, the plans are from the late 1880's.

On his voyage back to Germany he lost his suitcase with the construction plans. A few years later he saw a photo of his tropical car in a newspaper, constructed by a Dr. Robert Goldschmidt from Brussels. A few of these cars were built but the one used in the war broke down after 8 kilometers out of Swakopmund where it supposedly still stands today (being nicknamed Luther: "Here I stand I can do nothing else").

I have absolutely no idea, if this story is true or not. As the book is based on diary entries and documents I'd say there's a fair chance that it's not all lies.

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2008, 05:45:00 PM »

Sorry, no links. I found the information in a book called Morenga by Uwe Timm. I'll give you a short summary on this idea:

It was land surveyor (is there a world like that? You know, people who do the field work in order to make maps) called Treptow who had the idea of what he called a "Tropenauto". This "car" was a kind of lokomotive on wheels that could be turned. The steamengine could be fired with both coal or wood. The idea was to be able to move four or five trailors at once cross country in order to move goods at a faster and more reliable pace through the desert. The car was supposed to transport around 1500kg of cargo (the equivalent of 400 carriers on foot), had around 15-30hp with a estimated reach of up to 40km on flat ground with one load of water. Top speed around 15 - 20 km/h.

The whole construction would weigh around 1 ton. Uuups, the plans are from the late 1880's.

On his voyage back to Germany he lost his suitcase with the construction plans. A few years later he saw a photo of his tropical car in a newspaper, constructed by a Dr. Robert Goldschmidt from Brussels. A few of these cars were built but the one used in the war broke down after 8 kilometers out of Swakopmund where it supposedly still stands today (being nicknamed Luther: "Here I stand I can do nothing else").

I have absolutely no idea, if this story is true or not. As the book is based on diary entries and documents I'd say there's a fair chance that it's not all lies.

Sounds reasonable. Steam traction engines were first invented in 1859, so the technology was already there. Presumably his idea was for something different to a conventional design, so the armoured version by OG might work for it, or indeed the armoured stagecoach with a funnel, tender etc added. 1 tonne sounds very optimistic for such a steam powered vehicle, though and the top speed would also be very impressive for the day  ???  Maybe it was a really revolutionary design, after all!

The part about him losing his suitcase with the plans in only to find someone else had stolen his idea is so typically Victorian - although I would have expected to see it happen to a hapless Briton  lol

True or not, it's an interesting topic  :)

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2008, 02:16:36 PM »
This Treptow guy seemed to have been a rather strange person anyway. As to the optimistic view on the performance I agree with you. Then again people of the Victorian age had a rather optimistic view on the possibilities of technology. At least it allows us the use all kinds of strange technological epuiptment in our tabletop games.

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2008, 12:40:00 AM »
This Treptow guy seemed to have been a rather strange person anyway. As to the optimistic view on the performance I agree with you. Then again people of the Victorian age had a rather optimistic view on the possibilities of technology. At least it allows us the use all kinds of strange technological epuiptment in our tabletop games.

And that's what it's all about! Pretty well all the bizarre VSF tech we love would never work in real life, so who cares as long as it's fun  :D