Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:15:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Pulpish Automobiles  (Read 2589 times)

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
Pulpish Automobiles
« on: June 11, 2008, 06:06:23 AM »
Lucked onto a batch of the long out of production Matchbox Models of Yesteryear vehicles - eight all told.

Three roadster-style cars, four trucks/vans. They're really slightly oversized for 28mm, but nice all the same, and they increase our supply of vehicles for 45A significantly!

I'll get some better pictures in better light later this week. I should also finish painting the eyeballs of my figures - the all-white staring-zombie look is a bit creepy...

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
Re: Pulpish Automobiles
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 07:53:34 AM »
I should also finish painting the eyeballs of my figures - the all-white staring-zombie look is a bit creepy...

That was starting to worry me  lol

Good find with the vehicles. They do look a bit large, but not enough to bother about. In a couple of years, the scale creep with any new 28mm figures will mean they will be too small  ;)

Offline gauntman

• Scientist
    • Gauntman's Pics
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 01:30:40 PM »
Those are great looking rides.  I am extremely jealous... :-*
"Despite my ghoulish reputation, I really have the heart of a small  boy....I keep it in a jar on my desk."
                ----- Robert Bloch------

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 03:09:22 PM »
Damn, I had one of those as a kid but blew it up some New Year's Eve...  :-[ :-[
Roky Erickson flies my spaceship!

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 06:10:34 PM »
One of these vehicles was still in it's original box, which says "Scale: 47:1" on it. That would explain the slightly oversized look next to 28mm - most people think 28mm is best served by either 1:56 or 1:60, both of which are a good bit smaller.

Interestingly, although Matchbox put a whole bunch of other information on the bottom of each vehicle, they didn't put any scale.

Still, the cars will work regardless, and I'll use the trucks for now, secure in the knowledge that if I find more in-scale trucks later, I can sell these on EvilBay for fairly stupid prices!  :D

Offline odd duck

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 07:57:30 PM »
Great score Guy!! So we can expect a car chase in your next game report?Oh and as regards scale you'll find most large manufacturors are willing to fudge scale as long as the model will fit into standardized packaging. so you will find variations in scale even in models from the same maker.

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 09:27:10 AM »
as regards scale you'll find most large manufacturors are willing to fudge scale as long as the model will fit into standardized packaging. so you will find variations in scale even in models from the same maker.

Yes Lledo are like that, too.
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline mpennock

• Scientist
    • Arctic Skunk Shapeways store
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2008, 05:52:10 PM »
The infamous "box scale"...

I've got a few of the Matchbox cars myself, and they do work very well with 28mm figs.