Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 05:54:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690591
  • Total Topics: 118339
  • Online Today: 840
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 1/72 Early Imperial Roman army  (Read 4831 times)

Offline Philotep

• Bookworm
  • Philotep
    • Philotep's 1/72 Minis Kingdom
Re: 1/72 Early Imperial Roman army
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2023, 01:59:29 PM »
Thank you all for your kind comments!

I have the advantage of having had both of my sons adopt 1/72 scale, and they live within reasonable driving distance, so we can usually get a family game going.

Oh that I know, because I follow your blogs which are a constant source of inspiration. I can play Fantasy games with my own son (mainly Kings of War, Oathmark is on the list), but he not very interested in historical wargames, but one day, who knows...

Offline Philotep

• Bookworm
  • Philotep
Enemies of Rome: 1/72 Early Germans
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2023, 02:18:47 PM »
As announced, I have based my Early Germans army for DBA, in order to have two opposite armies for a future game. Let's have a look:

The bases are made the same way as the Romans. The figures come from different manufacturers, which makes it possible to have a maximum of different poses, a good thing for an irregular army I believe.

Most elements are Warbands:

Close-up on the general element:

There's one element of skirmishers:

And two elements of cavalry (Heavy and Light):

What do you think of them, and what do you prefer: Romans or Germans ?

As usual, more pictures and explanations on the blog: https://philotepsfigures.blogspot.com/2023/07/dba-early-germans.html
« Last Edit: July 24, 2023, 02:20:23 PM by Philotep »

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2023, 03:15:46 PM »
Spectacular! No preference from me - they both look terrific and will complement each other perfectly.

I believe that "legionaries vs German tribesmen" is the fons et origo of the whole DBA system: blades vs warbands, +5 vs +3 but quick kill, etc. So you've got the perfect set-up for the game!

You could always introduce your son gently to the historical games by starting off with Romans or Germans vs orcs in HOTT!

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2023, 06:47:06 PM »
I will echo those sentiments - your German tribesmen look great! I agree with you that having figures from several manufacturers is helpful for achieving variety in irregular armies. Your warbands show the advantages- they look like enthusiastic but not very uniform warriors.

I am looking forward to seeing more 1:72 projects that you are working on (and expansions to the Romans and Germans if you make additions)!

Offline Kaiphranos

• Student
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2023, 07:13:09 PM »
Wow, great work as always! Time for a face-off next?  :)

Online SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2023, 09:37:50 PM »
Very nice! Which manufacturers do you use and how do you prepare the figures for painting? I haven't painted "soft plastic" figures for 50 years and things have obviously moved on in that time! 

Offline Philotep

• Bookworm
  • Philotep
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2023, 11:18:58 AM »
Thank you very much for your feedbacks!

You could always introduce your son gently to the historical games by starting off with Romans or Germans vs orcs in HOTT!

Yes, that's what I intend to do with my mythological armies, which will be the subject of a future topic here: using historical armies BUT with mythological creatures and some magic would be a good transition from Fantasy to History. THe first armies to come are:
- Mythological Vikings: the figures are painted, waiting for bases
- Mythological Egypt: 60% of the figures are painted, I need some chariots
- Mythological Greece: 70% painted, I need some more hoplites

And after that, I have other plans to achieve: Mythological Mayas, Aztecs, Indians, Chinese... some of the needed creatures are still missing :)

Wow, great work as always! Time for a face-off next?  :)

Yes, I should plan a confrontation at the end of the summer.

Very nice! Which manufacturers do you use and how do you prepare the figures for painting? I haven't painted "soft plastic" figures for 50 years and things have obviously moved on in that time! 

For the Germans, I used figures from Strelets, Hät, ESCI, Revell, Caesar and Linear A.
I always wash the figures in soapy water, then cover them with a white primer. Next steps are probably the same as the other painters here.