Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 11:59:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: New Pirate range  (Read 6615 times)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: New Pirate range
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2008, 02:50:12 PM »
Next week I'll dig out my revisionist references and float them past so you can blow them out of the water, Cap'n.

Doug

Thanks Doug  ;)

Always good to keep up with the latest thinking on 2,500 year old topics  lol

Good luck with Phalanx!

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2008, 09:59:29 PM »
If there's no such thing as Celts, why do I have almost an entire shelf of one bookcase groaning... ???

This would tend to suggest a rather large consensus amongst historians, ethnographers, etc,

Maybe it's just a large consensus amongst publishers and booksellers ? :~}

Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2008, 10:43:11 PM »
If there's no such thing as Celts, why do I have almost an entire shelf of one bookcase groaning... ???

This would tend to suggest a rather large consensus amongst historians, ethnographers, etc,

Maybe it's just a large consensus amongst publishers and booksellers ? :~}

Hmmm. Good point. Celts are a definite moneyspinner.  ;)

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2008, 07:46:44 AM »
Well I suppose if you're a publisher it's got to be a temptation, and it's either the Celts or the SS.

Of course the real money would come in on "Celtic Mythology of the SS"....:~}

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2008, 09:51:15 AM »
Well I suppose if you're a publisher it's got to be a temptation, and it's either the Celts or the SS.

Of course the real money would come in on "Celtic Mythology of the SS"....:~}

lol I think you're missing a trick there... It really should be "Celtic Mythology of the SS swimming with killer sharks"  ;)

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2008, 10:56:04 AM »
Sheesh them Cornish stealing our ideas, the black and white is the Shepherds Tartan from Northumbria

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2008, 05:27:20 PM »
I don't know if anyone is still following this but I said I'd come back to it so here I am.

When I said there's no such thing as Celts I should have been more careful because, of course, there were people known as Celts in Gaul. What I should have emphasised was that the modern notion of this wild, international group of freedom loving party-animals
(so different to the buttoned-up English) called Celts is a relatively modern fiction. Here's a quote from Dr Simon James of Leicester university:

"However, there is one thing that the Romans, modern archaeologists and the Iron Age [British] islanders themselves would all agree on: they were not Celts. This was an invention of the 18th century; the name was not used earlier."

That's what I was getting at. Oh, and by the way, I'm of Scots/Irish ancestry and lived in Wales for 20 years so I've got no antipathy to any of the those nations that like to call themselves "Celts" today - I'm just drawn to quite an interesting topic.

Doug

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2008, 06:33:14 PM »
I don't know if anyone is still following this but I said I'd come back to it so here I am.

When I said there's no such thing as Celts I should have been more careful because, of course, there were people known as Celts in Gaul. What I should have emphasised was that the modern notion of this wild, international group of freedom loving party-animals
(so different to the buttoned-up English) called Celts is a relatively modern fiction. Here's a quote from Dr Simon James of Leicester university:

"However, there is one thing that the Romans, modern archaeologists and the Iron Age [British] islanders themselves would all agree on: they were not Celts. This was an invention of the 18th century; the name was not used earlier."

That's what I was getting at. Oh, and by the way, I'm of Scots/Irish ancestry and lived in Wales for 20 years so I've got no antipathy to any of the those nations that like to call themselves "Celts" today - I'm just drawn to quite an interesting topic.

Doug

I knew what you meant Celt is a term more strongly used than say Germanic e.g. Saxons, Jutes and Angles, Goths etc all share some commonality in culture but have their own culture too.

Very much like the Germanic fashions in the 1920s and 1930s that was popular in Europe