Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:16:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Faruq Reis and Crew (Barbary Privateers)  (Read 4982 times)

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
Faruq Reis and Crew (Barbary Privateers)
« on: June 23, 2008, 03:19:29 AM »
Here is the beginnings of my Barbary Corsairs crew for LotHS. Unfortunately none of them were painted by myself!

Surely you have all heard of Faruq Reis - the Black Jackal of Algiers?  >:(

Faruq began his life as a Barbary corsair many years ago aboard the Algerian xebec, Desert Wind. He was often first to board Christian vessels and would take many prisoners. When he tired of life as a mariner he began trading slaves out of Algiers and here gained the sobriquet "the Black Jackal", due to his cunningness and shrewd business sense. Now that the English have gained Tangier from the Portuguese, and their king has reneged on their agreement made with the Barbary Coast rulers, it is open season on British shipping in the Mediterranean. Faruq has hired on a crew and bought a small tartane, he has named the Dervish, in which to spread terror amongst the English and gain a wealth in plunder!

Here are some of his terrible crew, the scourge of the Barbary Coast.

Halil is his First Mate. He is a great shot with a musket and keen eyed to spot white sails on the horizon. Remzi is one of Faruq's best men and never strays far from his Reis.

What little images of Barbary Corsairs exist on the net and in books, most seem to be shown with the red and white turbaned hat that Remzi and Ordat wear. I have decided to keep this as a kind of uniform to tie the colorful pirates together.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 06:01:02 AM by fsultana »
“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Offline Sendak

• Mad Scientist
Re: Faruq Reis and Crew (Barbary Privateers)
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 03:29:38 AM »
Scourge-wise these are pretty cool!

"Primative life is very common and intelligent life is fairly rare, some would say it has yet to occur on earth." Stephen Hawking

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 04:13:40 AM »
And do we have a pic of the Dervish yet? The crew have come on nicely!!

Here is the beginnings of my Barbary Corsairs crew for LotHS. Unfortunately none of them were painted by myself! Surely you have all heard of Faruq Reis - the Black Jackal of Algiers?  >:(

Cheers,
Poiter50

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 05:06:47 AM »
Oooh, very nice. More please.  8) 8) 8)

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 09:57:38 AM »
And do we have a pic of the Dervish yet? The crew have come on nicely!!

The Dervish is coming along nicely and is in a similar stage to my foam board sloop (http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=5900.0), which I hope to begin painting tomorrow. I won't bore you all with the pics yet - hopefully I can show you the finished ships soon. The sloop was a trial to see if I could tackle the tartane, which I think I have managed OK.

Offline BlackStatic

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008, 10:01:50 AM »
Nice  :)
Looking forward to seeing them on their ship

Offline Maksim-Smelchak

• Bookworm
    • http://6mm-minis.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 11:56:17 AM »
Hey F. Sultana,

Awesome crew!

I just put up photos of my Barbary crew as well.

They're not painted shots and they're not the best sigital phots I have ever taken, but they work.

Link:

http://6mm-minis.blogspot.com/2008/06/mini-wargaming-barbary-pirates-are-back.html

I can't wait to see more of your crew.

*** Do you have a ship picked out for them yet? ***

I am thinking of going with a Flagship Games Rowed Galley since I have a spare one or two...

Positive vibes to you!

Shalom,
Maksim-Smelchak.
I'm just a happy-go-lucky guy who isn't always so happy or lucky, BUT I try!

Please check out my blog:
http://6mm-minis.blogspot.com/

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 04:20:08 PM »
Very nice figure  :).  Which manufacturer are they from?
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008, 10:53:08 PM »
Thanks for all for the nice comments.  :)

Your pirates are a little hard to see at the moment Maksim. Can we get a few individual shots of them - they look like they are a mixed bunch - very appropriate for a Barbary crew. I assume most of your figures are now unavailable to buy?

*** Do you have a ship picked out for them yet? ***

I am scratch building, what I call a "tartane", a small lanteen sailed Mediterranean vessel. I have almost finished my "guinea pig" sloop, so the tartane will follow very shortly. Hopefully pictures of the sloop will be up in the next couple of days.

I am thinking of going with a Flagship Games Rowed Galley since I have a spare one or two...

I would love to do a galley and that was my original plan, but we are playing in a later era and I don't think a galley would suit at the moment. One day I might try and build one and field a Maltese corsair crew to oppose them - that would be cool!

Very nice figure.  Which manufacturer are they from?

They are Eureka Miniatures Turkish Pirates. http://eurekamin.com.au/index.php?cPath=87_126_170&sort=3a

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2008, 04:27:15 AM »
Nice figs and a good paintjob on them. Hopefully there are more to come.
Already thought myself about some Eureka Turks to complement my 16th century swashbucklers - too many projects at a time. o_o