Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:13:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Indy founds a Spiritu ( Pulp Alley AAR - many pics)  (Read 5554 times)

Offline magokiron

• Mastermind
Indy founds a Spiritu ( Pulp Alley AAR - many pics)
« on: March 01, 2014, 06:43:27 PM »
This is a simple Smash & Grab scenario, where Indy and his archeological team face masked vigilantes, who try to get all the glory.

The Teams:

Indy Archeologists (played by me):
Indy (Leader)
Cara Loft (Sidekick)
Professor Theo (Ally)
Dr. Whatson (Ally)
Perk: Daredevil Adventurers

The Spiritu Vigilantes (played by my friend Juanito who sculpted all the miniatures of his gang himself):
The Spiritu (Sidekick)
The Green Butterfly (Sidekick)
Inspector Noland (Ally)
Elena Noland (Ally)
Ivory Black (Ally)
Perks: Mastermind, Company of Heroes, Intrepid Explorers

And now the action:

It was a quiet dawn in the City, still dark as the sun was really low on the horizon, when suddenly an alarm sounds coming from the museum, and two rival investigator teams appears to try and solve the case. Who will recover most artifacts and claim the glory?

As part of the museum staff, as soon as the alarm is triggered, Indy runs toward the sound, as there were some very rare and valuable artifacts he himself have loaned to an exhibition.

His team, consisting in his partner Cara Loft, Professor Theo, and Whatson, quickly runs towards the public building.

Meanwhile, the Vigilante “El Spiritu” illegally aided by the Inspector Noland himself, is already at the museum and sees a strange object lying near a bench in front of the museum. May it be a clue?

The Spiritu gang decides to try other route, and the Green Butterfly catches the reflection of light in a barrel. Maybe the burglars dropped an artifact there?
Just across the street, Noland’s daughter Elena (The Spiritu girlfriend) and Ivory Black, a very smart kid, try to help, but… Are two untrained civilians a help or a drawback? Read on.

Cara spots in the distance the Green Butterfly, a known vigilante, and taking cover at the factory corner, opens fire and hits! Instinctively, the Green Butterfly fires back but to no avail.

While Indy was walking past the alley, the phone suddenly starts ringing! Coincidence? Maybe not, because just as he approaches, he discovers a jar lying against the booth, and recognizing it as an artifact from the museum, he quickly grabs it!

After checking that the bullet only caused a minor flesh wound (passed recovery check) the Green Butterfly runs toward the barrel but some extremely friendly and drunken customers coming out of the restaurant hinder his advance (Trip-up card).

Professor Theo, hears something at the gas station roof and decides to investigate, while Whatson keeps an eye on the Spiritu.

The Spiritu reaches the bench and is surprised to find some bones. No doubt this is part of the museum’s stolen goods that the burglars throw away when they realized their mistake (no gold and only valuable for scholars). He reluctantly grabs the skull, as the inspector Noland see something suspicious going on at the gas station…

Ivory Black tries frantically to keep Elena out of danger, but she insists in running the streets yelling “Spiritu! Spiritu! Where are you?”

Trying to slow down the vigilantes, Whatson runs for cover behind the plants, but The Spiritu, hearing the warning from Noland that something odd is going on at the gas station in front of them, is totally aware and with a well thrown rock, cracks open the head of poor Whatson! (The wound was very painful, and Whatson didn’t recover).

Professor Theo has no better luck; he wants to investigate the conspicuous packages, but due to his short sight, and the darkness of dawn, decides to light a match, forgetting he was at a gas station! (Juanito played a VERY hard peril card) The resulting explosion knocks him down. Things start to look hard for Indy’s team, as half of its members are lying on the floor. (With severe burnings on him, Professor Theo crawled his way out to the nearest hospital and left the fight).

Ivory Black runs toward Cara, trying to explain that they represent no danger, but Cara, misinterpreting that as insults, shots him down! Then, she runs toward the idol and is rammed by a racing car! (In our city, roads are considered Perilous Areas, except at crosswalks, so Juan played a fortune card.). With a graceful acrobatic jump (team’s Perk saved the day), Cara dodges the car, and in a fluid motion land on her feet just in front of the Idol and grabs it.

Indy has a dilemma: Does he needs to help Cara? Or is better to go against the Green Butterfly? (He just saw him laying his dirty hands on another valuable museum artifact). When in doubt, SHOOT! But all that hesitation does him no good, and fails. The Green Butterfly returns fire and Indy is wounded!

Meanwhile, Inspector Nolan decides to investigate the explosion at the gas station.

And the Spiritu goes right behind him (actually, The Spiritu spent most of the battle using his Deductive ability to gain more fortune cards).

Ivory’s wounds were really serious and don’t get up. Elena is frozen in awe, and the Green Butterfly runs toward her, firing at Cara. Wounded Indy runs behind the Green Butterfly, but he proves to be faster (Damn Intrepid Explorers Perk, after every attack, he moved away, making him very hard to catch).

With a burst of stamina, Indy recovers his strength in time to pursue the slippery vigilante, but the Green Butterfly is a rare species indeed! Even the combined efforts of Cara and Indy only caused a wound.

Elena, frightened by all that shooting around her, runs toward the Spiritu.

The Spiritu tells Noland to take care of his daughter while he investigates the explosion. Noland advances and tries to calm down Elena, but disobeying him, she runs back towards the Green Butterfly!

The Spiritu reaches the boxes, and with the growing light of the morning has no trouble to get the last stolen artifact. Now, the Vigilantes team has 3 artifacts! Victory seems pretty close…

Finally, after a really hard fight, the Green Butterfly is knocked down by Indy. The precious relic slips from the Green Butterfly’s pocket, and Elena attacks Cara to prevent her from grabbing it. Cara easily wins the fight and with her last activation she´s very confident about getting this last plot point, but somehow the damn thing refuses to be lifted! (Can you believe that die roll?)

So the game ends, with each group in possession of two artifacts, and with only two characters standing. BUT Cara is holding the Major Plot Point, so this was a minor win for Indy’s team.

As always, this was a really fun game, where a lot of unexpected things happened, and Elena and Ivory Black discovered that untrained civilians don’t help much in a firefight.

I wish Juanito finds someone that casts his models, so I can have a Spiritu Team myself! (I´ll ask him permission to show you close ups of his models).

And I need to paint the remaining buildings and furniture of my little city.

Thanks for reading, any comments are welcome.

Best wishes.
I know you're too old to play with toy soldiers. So give them to me... NOW!

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
Re: Indy founds a Spiritu ( Pulp Alley AAR - many pics)
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2014, 07:20:29 PM »
Wow, nice urban table! Looks like a ton of fun.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 01:05:56 AM »
Very cool!  :-* :-*

Great job on your buildings. I really like that roof-top cafe.

From what I could see it looked like Juanito's minis are really nice. Some more pics would be welcome.

THANKS for posting. Did you send Mila an email, so she can add it to the Phantom Agent list?

Offline magokiron

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 04:13:09 AM »
Thanks for the kind comments pals.

Did you send Mila an email, so she can add it to the Phantom Agent list?

Mail sent to Mila.

Waiting for my coded message.  ;)

I see I need to improve my camera skills, but this was my very first AAR, and hopefully I learned a trick or two for the next battle.

And most of the buildings and urban furniture are painted now.  :D

Best wishes.

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 12:40:21 PM »
A really great report, must have been a lot of fun!

Offline Sterling Moose

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2014, 01:02:31 PM »
Nice looking game.  Everyone was very law abiding, they only seem to cross the road at an official crossing point (crosswalk/Zebra Crossing)   :D
'I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.'

Offline magokiron

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2014, 04:43:24 PM »
Nice looking game.  Everyone was very law abiding, they only seem to cross the road at an official crossing point (crosswalk/Zebra Crossing)   :D

Hehehe.

In our urban games, roads are considered PERILOUS AREAS (There are a lot of traffic in the streets, even if the car models are static), EXCEPT at crosswalks, they are supposed to be there to cross safely.

Besides, Juanito ussually gives AT LEAST one of his characters the "Deductive" skill, so he has plenty of fortune cards to throw at your characters when needed.

Now you can start to figure that only Sidekicks and Leaders take the risk to land a foot on the road.   lol

Thanks for your comments, they are a great motivation to post more AARs.

Best wishes.

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2014, 07:56:58 PM »
Loved it! Great terrain, too...

Mike Demana

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2014, 09:55:56 PM »
Oh, I just noticed that you've translated the Fortune cards as well. Nicely done!

Offline Wolf Girl

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2014, 03:50:31 PM »

In our urban games, roads are considered PERILOUS AREAS (There are a lot of traffic in the streets, even if the car models are static), EXCEPT at crosswalks, they are supposed to be there to cross safely.

I like that rule. Cool idea!  :-*

Mila Phipps, Pulp Girl
mila@pulpalley.com

Offline magokiron

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2014, 03:50:12 AM »
Thank you Dave an Mila for your kind words.

Yup, the Fortune Cards are my spanish version.

The crosswalks idea has proven really interesting, and that's the reason there are a crosswalk at every corner.

Note the streets are simple perils not EXTREME perils, so only if your opponent plays a card they turn up dangerous.

And now, with Juan's permission (El Vengador Atómico in this forum), I give you pics of his original sculpts:

More pics of his work (and even more original miniatures) at his page:

http://elvengadoratomico.daportfolio.com/

Best wishes.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2014, 04:10:51 AM »
Wow, nice! I love O'Hara!

Also, I just realized that the residents of this town seem to eat a LOT of chips!

Offline Wolf Girl

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2014, 05:40:38 AM »

And now, with Juan's permission (El Vengador Atómico in this forum), I give you pics of his original sculpts:

Those are some good looking figures!  :-*

Offline blacksoilbill

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2014, 06:48:24 AM »
Those figure are awesome! Loads of character.

Offline magokiron

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2014, 06:15:27 PM »
Also, I just realized that the residents of this town seem to eat a LOT of chips!

???

Please elaborate.

Best wishes.