Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:44:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Master Thread for Things Found in Poundland, etc  (Read 82034 times)

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
Re: Master Thread for Things Found in Poundland, etc
« Reply #195 on: April 18, 2018, 10:31:16 AM »
I have two of those Aldi grass mats, which I use to protect the dining room table from my wargame table sections.
They are nice - very dark green and uniform, but the main issue with using them as a covering for a board is the little green domes all over the back side.
Doesn't matter for the purpose I used them for, but would make it hard to stick them to a board.

Offline Rob_bresnen

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #196 on: April 18, 2018, 04:42:37 PM »
I have some too. I know what you mean about the little domes but with the right glue- no nails or similar- i am sure it would stick fine. I haven't tried it though.
Theres more 28mm Superhero Madness at my blog, http://fourcoloursupers.blogspot.com/
And for Ultra-modern Wargaming check out Hotel Zugando at http://ultramoderngaming.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #197 on: April 18, 2018, 06:53:01 PM »
I've had one of the carpets for a couple of years. Originally with the intention of using for gaming. It's a tough piece of kit. I've used it for camping(two seasons) and a couple garden parties,and along side the paddling pool.Its been folded stuffed in the boot.
My son spent time lazing in the sun picking the grips off the back.(he was four at the time). In short the come off really easily. I reckon you could take them off with a paint scraper. So its definitely up the task of gaming mat.

Mark.

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #198 on: April 19, 2018, 11:08:14 AM »
I was in The Works today and they had a range of 1/2000 WW2 battleships and carriers.
Attached is a piccie of what they had in our local store.

I didn't buy any because I had no use for them, but thought others here may have a use.

Even if you don't game at that particular scale, I've found naval ships at smaller scales excellent sources for gubbinz for scifi projects. Usually those kits are too expensive for the purpose, but at GBP3,- a piece, I'd be all over them... ;)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline redrevuk

• Assistant
« Reply #199 on: May 30, 2018, 02:07:05 PM »
This may have been mentioned before, but...

The Works (UK) have a pack of 16 'wooden mini plaques' for 1 pound: lasercut plywood, 25 x 70 x 2mm, with rounded ends. Ideal cavalry bases for 28mm figs.

They also have a pack of 110 wooden discs for 2 pounds: roughly equal numbers of 20mm, 30mm and 40mm discs, 1.5mm thick.

Look in the 'craft' section.

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #200 on: May 30, 2018, 08:25:22 PM »
This may have been mentioned before, but...

The Works (UK) have a pack of 16 'wooden mini plaques' for 1 pound: lasercut plywood, 25 x 70 x 2mm, with rounded ends. Ideal cavalry bases for 28mm figs.

They also have a pack of 110 wooden discs for 2 pounds: roughly equal numbers of 20mm, 30mm and 40mm discs, 1.5mm thick.

Look in the 'craft' section.

Oddly enough, some of the packs of discs are actually hexagons.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #201 on: May 30, 2018, 08:26:54 PM »
I was in The Works today and they had a range of 1/2000 WW2 battleships and carriers.
Attached is a piccie of what they had in our local store.

I didn't buy any because I had no use for them, but thought others here may have a use.

Would they proxy in as cruisers for 1/1200 scale?

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #202 on: June 27, 2018, 07:46:05 AM »
B & M (UK Retail chain) are selling a variety of Batman diecast metal cars. I would estimate that they would work with 1/56 scale or 30mm figures.

I have seen them in a number of stores for around £5.00 each.

Tony

Offline Rivera

• Scientist
  • "Left hand down a bit ...."
« Reply #203 on: August 10, 2018, 04:07:59 PM »

I was having a browse through the Lowestoft branch of Poundland and came across some of these:-

It's a 7.5W (40W) Glue Gun and I thought that I'd give one a try even though I'm not sure what it'll be good for.  They cost all of £2.00 each and come with a U.K. plug, 2 x glue sticks, rest and what looks like an instruction sheet.  Also in stock are some packs of spare glue sticks (approx. x 35) at £2.00 per pack.

"My God, it's full of stars".  Dave Bowman.

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Wargame News and Terrain
« Reply #204 on: August 10, 2018, 05:14:15 PM »
Very nice find, I have a professional hotglue gun and very pleased with the usage ideal for glueing plastic plants, foam (note may melt with extreme heat) and other materials quickly and great ease. Should imagine that the piece as shown above is sufficient enough for hobby use and the price of the extra hotglue sticks is also very good. Should I have found it, I would probably also grabbed one.
Wargame News and Terrain Blog, daily updated with the latest wargame news

Interested click https://wargameterrain.blogspot.com/

Offline DonVoss

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #205 on: October 13, 2018, 07:54:04 PM »
Winter is coming....:)

Found these in the 1 Euro-shop complete with base....not too shabby....;)

6 15mm trees right out of the bag...

Or you can cut yourself a pine tree.
Thats what I will do for my 15mm DBA woods....;)

Cheers,
Don

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #206 on: October 14, 2018, 11:30:25 AM »
I told 'Flatpack' about similar 'Christmas trees' from 'The Works' about this time last year,
only to find that (& I quote from a manager of a branch of The Works) 'The last restock
of Christmas items is the first delivery in November'. !!!?????
Sure enough this September they (Christmas trees) appeared again on the shelves.
My advice is, if you want them get them quick. What I did manage to get (before the 2017
embargo) got a quick thinned dark green wash & were suitable for 'summer' use.
Maybe Flatpack might post a picture or two of his trees, along side his 10mm cold war
gone hot tanks.

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #207 on: October 15, 2018, 10:14:45 AM »
I was having a browse through the Lowestoft branch of Poundland and came across some of these:-

It's a 7.5W (40W) Glue Gun and I thought that I'd give one a try even though I'm not sure what it'll be good for.  They cost all of £2.00 each and come with a U.K. plug, 2 x glue sticks, rest and what looks like an instruction sheet.  Also in stock are some packs of spare glue sticks (approx. x 35) at £2.00 per pack.

They're OK, but not made to last. I've gone through several over the years building terrain, but considering the times I had need for one so far, buying an expendable one when I do is still more economical than investing in a rugged (semi)professional one (I was eventually given one  of those by my wife though, for the reasons below lol ).

The mechanism in these is flimsy, and the first thing to go (and the only moving part, really) is the feeding mechanism; the trigger will either break or misalign or even break some internals, and you're stuck pushing the glue stick through the gun with your thumb.

This works, but I've had two of them shorting out on me because glue started to flow into the gun, as well as through the nozzle. Loud bang, lights out, etc.

Not fun, even in the best of times, but when this happens at night, when the wife and kids are already asleep in the adjacent rooms, some excitement will ensue... ::)

So yeah; expect them to break sooner rather than later, but they will usually last a project or two. Then again; for the money, they're hard to beat... ;)

Offline flatpack

• Mastermind
  • Hiding in the shed
« Reply #208 on: October 21, 2018, 12:23:34 PM »
Has.been was talking about Christmas trees from “the works”.
Find attached a couple of photos of those trees that he did a great job on, and we got to the table.
Hiding in them....my 10mm Cold War Russians.

Flatpack

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #209 on: October 21, 2018, 02:43:32 PM »
Don't listen to Flatpack. That is just a small scouting party of his Russians.
He is trying to make you think that that is all the Warsaw Pact have hidden
in the woods. On the positive side, he does have lots of NATO stuff as well.