Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:31:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Master Thread for Things Found in Poundland, etc  (Read 82057 times)

Offline Diplomatist

• Scientist
Master Thread for Things Found in Poundland, etc
« on: March 06, 2014, 12:07:58 PM »
MODs - I hope this is the right part of the Forum.  If you think it better elsewhere, then please move it with my apologies.

Every so often someone suggests that we have a thread for handy things spotted in the discount stores.

I'll start the ball rolling by pointing out that Poundland have again got 1/43rd diecast vehicles in stock (the ones in blisters with Russian writing).  These have proved useful in the past - pics at http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=54916.0.

I had hoped to get some Easter decorations for making dino-nests out of, but nothing yet  ;D

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
Re: Master Thread for Things Found in Poundland, etc
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 01:34:45 PM »
I have seen packs of polystyrene/plastic easter eggs in The Works - another good source of cheap stuff

My latest Poundland purchase was a pack of insects. They're fairly rubbery and I don't think they'll take paint, but will be useful for giant bugs and scorpions in dungeon (and possibly pulp) settings

Offline Connectamabob

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 02:34:12 PM »
Over here we have 99 cent stores, which I'd guess are pretty much the same concept as Poundland.

I found a plastic toy speedboat, which if you cut off the cockpit and engine bit and flip it upside-down makes a perfect hull for a 28mm late movie or mid-TNG era Star Trek Shuttle. A couple highlighter pens for nacelles and it should be gold.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 02:37:09 PM by Connectamabob »
History viewed from the inside is always a dark, digestive mess, far different from the easily recognizable cow viewed from afar by historians.

Offline Diplomatist

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 03:20:11 PM »
My latest Poundland purchase was a pack of insects. They're fairly rubbery and I don't think they'll take paint, but will be useful for giant bugs and scorpions in dungeon (and possibly pulp) settings

Yeah, I got some handy insects from Poundland and Wilkos at Halloween along with some decent skulls - http://diplomatist2.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/pulp-loves-halloween.html

Quote from: Connectamabob
I found a plastic toy speedboat, which if you cut off the cockpit and engine bit and flip it upside-down makes a perfect hull for a 28mm late movie or mid-TNG era Star Trek Shuttle. A couple highlighter pens for nacelles and it should be gold.

That sounds great - I'd like to see photos sometime  :)

Offline Constable Bertrand

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 07:59:28 PM »
Christmas and normal, train sets!

Wish Australia had those diecast cars, we have the 1/35 pullback variety :( nice combie, viper, cobra, Aston, etc but too big.

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 10:09:11 PM »
You should all check out ashens on YouTube.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 04:33:23 PM by nic-e »
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Diplomatist

• Scientist

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2014, 10:02:20 PM »
The Works currently has some "joke shop" ants at 25p a packet in their clearance section.
Also (Revell?) snap-together Star Wars kits - Millenium Falcon, Jedi fighter, X wing, Republic gunship, all scaled to fit the box but prepainted and only £4.99 so might be of use to some.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2014, 02:32:29 PM »
The Works currently has some "joke ants at 25p a packet in their clearance section.
Also (Revell?) snap-together Star Wars kits - Millenium Falcon, Jedi fighter, X wing, Republic gunship, all scaled to fit the box but prepainted and only £4.99 so might be of use to some.

Got one of the snap fix ships. Currently converting the falcon to a yt1300 varient.  Moved the cockpit to the centre and working on the panelling. Little smaller than the xwing miniatures one. If u didn't have one it would work well as a proxy.
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline Sardoo

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2014, 06:19:42 PM »
Saw an article on Zabadak's Zombie World blog about Wilkinsons selling a couple of interesting vehicles in the right scale for 28mm figs. Went in today and got a modern single decker bus and an american four wheel drive with a trailer on which there is a mini cooper (go figure!) The whole lot cost about £8. Bargain!

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
    • The Shed Wars Experience
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2014, 09:57:30 PM »
I have the single deckr bus it is brill

It's somewhere on my blog google shedwars and bus

Good night

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
    • The Shed Wars Experience
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2014, 05:49:27 AM »

hers the picture of before and after

Offline Centaur_Seducer

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Gubbspel
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2014, 08:59:56 AM »
That bus is brilliant! I really want one. Pity that shipping will be a zillion pounds though :(

Offline gary42

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2014, 06:24:13 PM »
I assume that Poundland is the equivalent to our Dollar store.  I found sets of Batman and Spiderman Heroclix!.  The Joker is now a Tommygun wielding David Niven (Crooked Dice head) and commissioner Gordon is Michael Caine. Took the Doc Octopus arms off for the Hydra minis repair bot!
"They seek him here, they seek him... There he is!"

Offline Sardoo

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2014, 10:27:48 PM »

hers the picture of before and after

Excellent work! How did you get the burned out effect? I was thinking about taking the wife's cook's blowtorch to my bus before I realised this might not - would not - end well......  :D