Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:50:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Master Thread for Things Found in Poundland, etc  (Read 82037 times)

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
Re: Master Thread for Things Found in Poundland, etc
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2014, 03:21:40 AM »
Awesome!
The toy stores around here sell those busses as well as trams. I've been in doubt wether I should get one to serve as a zombie spawnpoint.
One remark : If it burned out completely, the rubber accordion would have gone too. (I know I'm nitpicking  o_o)
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Photobucket: http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd388/zizi666/
BGG: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/zizi666

Offline Centaur_Seducer

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Gubbspel
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2014, 04:11:48 AM »
Awesome!
The toy stores around here sell those busses as well as trams. I've been in doubt wether I should get one to serve as a zombie spawnpoint.
One remark : If it burned out completely, the rubber accordion would have gone too. (I know I'm nitpicking  o_o)
It looks more effectful though!

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
    • The Shed Wars Experience
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2014, 05:17:51 AM »
Excellent work! How did you get the burned out effect? I was thinking about taking the wife's cook's blowtorch to my bus before I realised this might not - would not - end well......  :D

The blog tells it all with a strep by step...but its black , then drybrushed, then inked

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2014, 05:51:16 AM »
Awesome!

Ah, but on a real articulated bus there's plenty of metal bracketing and linkage under the accordion, so it wouldn't just be separate bits anyway!  ;)

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Sardoo

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2014, 06:43:12 AM »
The blog tells it all with a strep by step...but its black , then drybrushed, then inked

Checked the blog - cheers!

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2014, 05:21:02 PM »
I picked up 2 rolls oof willow lawn edger, the twigs will be ideal to build a maori Pa (palisade fence) 1 metre length for £1

http://www.poundland.co.uk/willow-roll-edging-1m

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2014, 07:04:33 PM »
I picked up 2 rolls oof willow lawn edger, the twigs will be ideal to build a maori Pa (palisade fence) 1 metre length for £1

http://www.poundland.co.uk/willow-roll-edging-1m

Yes! That would be useful indeed!! To Poundland I go!!  :)

Darrell.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2014, 07:09:21 PM »
Yes! That would be useful indeed!! To Poundland I go!!  :)

Darrell.

They are tall, so a chop across the centre would give you 2m length and with cross beams some good gunfighter without too much hassle ;D

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2014, 07:13:53 PM »
They are tall, so a chop across the centre would give you 2m length and with cross beams some good gunfighter without too much hassle ;D

Pa!  ;) :D

Darrell.

Offline Connectamabob

• Mastermind
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2014, 11:05:24 PM »
Found this little bit of used lizard furniture at a garage sale (dunnae worry: I've washed it already):

Has cracked/chipped areas in places (as well as air bubbles in the casting), and the "leaves" on top are IMO too large, but with a little putty and repainting, it should make a good barrow entrance for fantasy or horror games.
History viewed from the inside is always a dark, digestive mess, far different from the easily recognizable cow viewed from afar by historians.

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
    • The Shed Wars Experience
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2014, 05:13:05 AM »
Is that Lizard thing from Poundland?

What you can buy is rolls of mesh called gutter guard - you can use them to make nice chain link fences

Offline Rob_bresnen

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2014, 12:39:59 PM »
Not poundland but Aldi

Green (with black mottled effect) Grass Effect carpet

£6.99 for 1mx2m

It has rubber dimples on the back for none slip, and was tightly wrapped up, so the dimples have left indentations in the pile, but I am sure this will pop out. The photo makes it look a bit monotone green, but actually their is a subtle dark mottled pattern that makes it look right for grass.

I bought it today.
Theres more 28mm Superhero Madness at my blog, http://fourcoloursupers.blogspot.com/
And for Ultra-modern Wargaming check out Hotel Zugando at http://ultramoderngaming.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2014, 10:55:31 PM »
I'm kicking myself that I didn't post in this thread first. (Mods, sorry for the bother, but if you want to delete the topic in the VSF board...)

I was in Home Bargains in Belfast and it looks like they've got their hands on a whole bunch of toys from the Walking With Dinosaurs 3D movie. Of particular interest to the wargamer: packs of the three main pachyrhinosaur characters for 99p, and 'collectible', blind-bagged, glow-in-the-dark models for 19p each.

Packaging:

Size comparison with Empire of the Dead Sherlock, Red Box elf, and old placcy bretonnian:

(Full size)

The movie was ruined at the last moment by committee suits shoving in voiceovers and bookends, but before that the dinosaurs were overseen by a group that included David Krentz, so you know the quality is going to be good and as accurate as 2013 knowledge allowed. What with some visible but faint horizontal lines on the models, I'd guess they were printed from the original (or modified) animation models, albeit at a low res for cheap plastic toys. That is one caveat - the shallow, slightly blobby detail - but it is there, looks improvable with a judicious paintjob, and it is on cheap placcy toys! A fiver will get you a herd of fifteen and that'll hide most of the very few drawbacks. :D

They're 80-85mm, which at 1:56 makes them between 4.5-5m. A bit wee for Pachyrhinosaurus, but then with the lack of frill spikes (also in the film stills on the accompanying cards) I guess these are meant to be young versions of the characters, which helps. ;D Anyway, anyone who remembers how to roll plasticene snakes should be able to easily whip up a variety of putty horns to attach to turn them into proper Pachyrhinosaurs, or reasonable approximations of smaller ceratopsians like Centrosaurus, Styracosaurus, Einiosaurus, Achelousaurus, Diabloceratops, etc. etc. etc...
I don't know if I'll stick any extra horns on them, but I wouldn't mind getting a few more for my revamped Kroot mercenary ideas. At the least. Chop 'n' swap a few heads.

The blind-bagging of the luminous models is annoying, but I was able to feel the frills of the pachyrhinosaurs through the bag and avoid duplicates of those. (Though if you don't mind standing in a middle of a shop and fondling the merchandise for a while, you'd get them for even cheaper) I ended up with the Troodon, which - despite the up-to-date-feathering - isn't very inspiring for any kind of wargaming use, as far as I can see.

Still, detail isn't too bad on close inspection, aside from slightly miscast feet. Though looking at the range in non-glowing form, I think I'd much rather get me hands on a couple of those Gorgosaurs or Quetzalcoatlus instead. Maybe Hesperonychus...
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 11:02:22 PM by Vermis »

Offline Constable Bertrand

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2014, 11:52:55 PM »
a great way to game "Dinotopia" on the cheap ;D

Offline DELTADOG

• Mad Scientist
  • The two-handed G.E.C.K
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2014, 07:55:38 AM »
Have it already posted in the Fallout Forum not know about this thread here (Sry Mods)  :?

At T€di Stores. This little Beauties are available atm. 3€ whole stuff you see there.