Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 11:45:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690455
  • Total Topics: 118332
  • Online Today: 688
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Good rules for Frankenstein  (Read 9565 times)

Offline vikotnik

• Moonman
  • Mad Scientist
  • Jack Radient Sky
Good rules for Frankenstein
« on: November 21, 2006, 07:52:15 PM »
I am a huge Frankenstein Fan and was just wondering if anybody knew some appropiate rules for this kind of setting.

Any ideas?
Zafarelli at 01:00 am:
\"...everything is strange in a way. ... Always."

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2006, 08:38:19 AM »
Try Westwind Games Gothic Horror Vampire Wars rules. They have stats for Frankenstein, his creations, igor, failed experiments etc. You will find Werewolves, Vampires, the village mob, the Vatican, warrior monks, gypsies. Pretty much everything you need for Horror in C19th and the do a whole range of figures as well.

The only problem is the rule book is fullof errors, but the rules play well and capture the spirit of it. :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2006, 08:39:41 AM »
Here's my dispaced gallery showing my Gothic Horror Collection:

http://www.displacedminiatures.com/Malamute/galleries.html   :)

Offline WitchfinderGeneral

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2006, 09:36:58 AM »
Malamute, can you tell me a bit more about the mechanics of the game (how does the character profile looks like? what dice are used? is it designed more naturally or based on tables and lists?)? Seems like Westwind is cagey about that (except for the 5 pages errata).

Myself tends to buy Rippers - the horror wars from Great White Games. Any opinions about it? Are the rules similar to "Savage Worlds"?
"I'd like to send this letter to the Prussian consulate in Siam by aeromail. Am I too late for the 4:30 autogyro?"
"Uh, I better look in the manual... This book must be out of date. I don't see "Prussia", "Siam" or "autogyro"...

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2006, 10:03:14 AM »
Vikotnik,

I have the Rules Malamute wrote about. I ( surprise ) also have the figures for the game... Hey and we both are in the same town. How great is that ?

Björn
, ,

Offline Mike D. Mc Brice

• Mad Scientist
  • Lead Painters League Winner
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2006, 10:06:00 AM »
Quote from: "WitchfinderGeneral"
Malamute, can you tell me a bit more about the mechanics of the game (how does the character profile looks like? what dice are used? is it designed more naturally or based on tables and lists?)? Seems like Westwind is cagey about that (except for the 5 pages errata).

Myself tends to buy Rippers - the horror wars from Great White Games. Any opinions about it? Are the rules similar to "Savage Worlds"?

Westwind's Gothic Horror is horribly edited. You need a lot of enthusiasm to get through all the rules and AFAIK lots of rules are a bit unclear or simply not printed in the book. If you are after clearly written rules like Warhammer you won't have much fun with it. The books are still worth the money for the background which is fantastic. So you can buy them anyways.

I don't like Savageworlds Rippers. The rules are fine and yes, it's the showdown rules with some fluffy additions. They have very nice idea for scenarios. The background is very uninspired. The army lists are rubbish. They are incomplete, don't make much sense, and they don't offer a troop building system. (Well there is one on the web but it's rather complicated and I'm not sure if it realy works. Not recommended except for the scenario ideas.

Alternative are:
45 Adventure and Chaos in Cairo. I'm not very familiar with the first one but iit should be easy to convert it into a system that works.
CiC also needs someadjustments, especially since all the needed devices like crosses and such are not available. With some tweaks it works well for the topic since you can build characters to your liking.

That's all I know about it.

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2006, 10:48:06 AM »
Its true what Mike wrote. The Westwind Rules are a bit difficult to read...
But God wants it...:I have Chaos in Cairo too and with a little Imagination those rules can easily adopted into Frankenstein !

Offline Mike D. Mc Brice

• Mad Scientist
  • Lead Painters League Winner
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2006, 10:55:22 AM »
Back on the frankenstein topic, what scenarios would work with the background? An amok running monster come to mind but maybe there are other, more interesting ideas?

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2006, 11:59:35 AM »
Quote from: "Mike D. Mc Brice"
Back on the frankenstein topic, what scenarios would work with the background? An amok running monster come to mind but maybe there are other, more interesting ideas?

Some cultists/mad scientists kidanpped the bride of the Monster. He's going to rescue her, maybe some his mates (the failed experiments) too.

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2006, 12:34:07 PM »
One of the supplements planned for Gloire is "Hexenjaeger*," which will be somewhere between Solomon Kane and Gothic Horror. It'll be out after Pirates. There will be construct monsters in that.

*I forget how to make umlauts on my American keyboard...

Offline W.B.Kurgan

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2006, 12:44:57 PM »
A grave-robbing game (before the monster is finished) with Igor trying to get body parts and the town watch trying to catch him.

Don't forget the mob of torch-bearing enraged villagers, chasing the monster through town towards the old windmill.

:)
Mein Flugzeug ist kaputt!

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2006, 01:22:36 PM »
I agree with all the comments about the rules being horribly edited. Yes you do need to persevere with them.We have found them great fun to play and have adapted the system to include wild west shootouts, colonial adventures etc.

They ae based on a quality dice system where each character has different dice for their attributes. Strength, dexterity, willpower etc. The dice range from D6, D8,D10,D12,D20. So it is possible for a vampire lord to have D20 strength and a villager maybe D6 strength etc.

So the emphasis is on individual figures in combat situations each rolling their respective Qdie and matching results.
 Morale is worked out by measuring against the leader or the best figure in a group having the highest willpower rolling against their individua Qdice which might be a D6, D10 etc. The larger the dice the better the chance.

There is only one quick ref sheet with very few tables to go through.

I like it, but I know lots of people who have not bothered due to the mistakes in the rulebook. The background info is well written and captures the spirit of gothic horror well.

There are about 20 scenarios in the book as well to chose from. These include Vampire clans against Vampire hunters, of which there are different groups, werewolves verses vamoires, werewolf hunters, the church, vatican hit squads, warrior monks.

The scenarios specific to Frankensteins monster include the mob attacking the castle, the church sending a hit squad to take out the mad doctor. All good fun. :)

If anyone of you find yourselves in London I am always willing to lay on a game. I have terrain for Castle Dracula/castle Frankenstein, a Translyvanian village and Victorian London. I also have loads of figures! :)

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2006, 01:45:09 PM »
I forgot to add this link which is a fan site for Vampire Wars:

http://home.iprimus.com.au/voyager10/

There is also a Yahoo Group:

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/gothic_horrors_vampire_wars/

As you can probably gather I am a fan of Victorian era Horror!  :lol:

Offline WitchfinderGeneral

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2006, 02:36:57 PM »
I love Victorian Horror, too! So much ideas for terrain and stuff and so little time (and room at my home)...

Thanks to all for your reviews!
I think I'll stay away from those rule books, at least for now.

There are so many books available about the Victorian Era, about eerie tales and legends, about Jack the Ripper... I don't need this in a rule book, I just need good rules I can use without much work, improvisation and testing.

Malamute, I think I'll be in London somewhen in April. Maybe even for Salute, not sure yet. I'll let you know in time... :-]

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2006, 04:22:19 PM »
Witchfinder General,

I have just been reading the novel Sherlock Holmes verses Dracula. A perfect scenario. :)

Look me up when you come to London, I'll be going to Salute. :)