Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:12:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689614
  • Total Topics: 118287
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Denizens of Azor: Man-Apes and more Man-Apes!  (Read 114140 times)

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
Do all princess pairs have an Elsa and Anna type? Lovely sculpting.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Alxbates

• Mad Scientist
    • Forge of Ice on Faceboook!
My Missus took a look at these, and will be firing off a 'pre-order' to you via your FB page.

If I may ask a stupid question, will the ladies be cast seperate from their thrones, or all in one?

Yep, the ladies are separate from their thrones.

AND, I have plans to do standing versions of both of them in the future - Kev *might* be sculpting those, but, it depends on his schedule.  If he's not able to, I have permission from Kev to convert his sculpts.  I've already asked Patrick Keith about it (he's the guy who sculpted my snake priestesses), and he expressed some interest... no matter how it works out, the standing versions of them will be just as good as the seated ones.

And there will also be a footstool AND a harem boy as part of the set.

Still not quite sure if the timing will work out, but, I'm trying to get some resin master castings to Fenris in time to be previewed (and sold!) at Salute.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
Sure hope Kev can do the standing versions!

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
Sure hope Kev can do the standing versions!

Seconded.  Get the Master if you can.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
Yeah. Keith is a fine sculptor, but Kev is on another level. I think the difference would be noticeable.

Offline Alxbates

• Mad Scientist
Yeah. Keith is a fine sculptor, but Kev is on another level. I think the difference would be noticeable.

I'm a big fan of both of their work, they just have a different style.  Kev White and Patrick Keith are my two favorite sculptors of the female form, though.  

That's not to say that there aren't some others out there whose work I admire - John Winter's Barsoom stuff is exquisite, and David Soderquist's fantasy work is really great, too (although, again, their styles are very different).  I love Chris Fitzpatrick's women, too - his Basti for Wargods are some of my favorites from that line.

I was kinda looking forward to seeing Patrick Keith sculpt something in Kev's manner - I think it's fun to see artists do 'cover' pieces occasionally.  It can be interesting to see them try a different style.

Heck, maybe, if the Kickstarter goes well, I'll have them BOTH do a version.  As things stand at this moment, neither one of them has committed to it, it's too far away for me to plan out.

I'm focused on finishing up this first Kickstarter, then launching the Eye of the Cyclops one.

It's great to have the Queen and the Princess finished now, but there's a whole set that'll be going with them.  I'm a firm believer in having all (or at least the vast majority) of the miniatures for my Kickstarters sculpted *before* I launch them.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 09:04:09 AM by Alxbates »

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
I'm a firm believer in having all (or at least the vast majority) of the miniatures for my Kickstarters sculpted *before* I launch them.

This is simply sound policy for miniatures Kickstarters.

Offline Alxbates

• Mad Scientist
This is simply sound policy for miniatures Kickstarters.

I agree!

I think it takes some of the uncertainty out of things, and it also helps to pin down the timeline for fulfillment.

(...says the guy who is way late on fulfillment... ugh...)

I've got a full dance card for the rest of the year, I think.

My plans for 2017 go something like this, subject to the vicissitudes of fate:

- finish fulfillment for the Sleepy Sentry Kickstarter

- finish the second issue of my comic book.  We sold out of the first issue, so we're doing another print run of that - www.theclockworkqueen.com

- Finish transcribing "Swallowed by an Earthquake", a 120-year-old Lost World book that Forge of Ice will be reprinting

- finish prep for the Eye of the Cyclops KS

- get online store up and running

- Launch the Eye of the Cyclops KS

- work on terrain display board

- sort out some non-Kickstarter new releases (a second Man-Ape, some more large reptiles, Sword-Billed Cranes, more Pterro-men, treasure items, etc)

- finish my novel (and a sequel!  And some short stories!)

- Gen Con (maybe!)

- Prep for and launch the Occluded Court of Zor-Al Kickstarter (that's where the Queen and the Princess will be released)

In the longer term, probably next year, I have some thoughts on what I'd like to do, assuming that this year goes well:

- Figure out how to be able to release my tribe of Ape Men and also a tribe of Histath (Snake Men).  Probably Kickstarter, but, I'd prefer to have them come out as regular releases.

- Plan out and do my BIG Kickstarter for my campaign setting boxed set - AZOR, complete with sourcebook, campaign module, map, cardstock buildings, etc.  This will be the whole shebang - I loved the old D&D Campaign boxed sets (Dark Sun!  Planescape!!), and the old Warhammer sets (McDeath, Blood Bath at Orc's Drift, etc), this will be my version of that.  Then I'll finally have all the setting info in one place, rather than scattered across a dozen word documents and four sketchbooks in my house.

- After all that I have some more vague ideas, "Demon Servants of the Ape God", "Hidden City of the Leopard Men", an ice-age supplement (the frozen mountains around Azor), and an underground one (the caves & hot springs beneath Azor), too.  I have a fully-fleshed out and expansive setting in my head, it's just about getting it illustrated, sculpted, and into print.

But, that stuff is so far in the future I cant do a whole lot to prep for it except to continue to write and sketch.  Still, it's good to have at least a broad (and flexible!) outline for where I'd *like* to be in a year or two.  Trying to do this as a full-time job is scary and uncertain, but so far I'm glad I've taken the plunge.

I'm looking forward to making that display board, too.  It'll be good to have something to post here that's more traditionally forum-friendly:  progress pictures of a terrain project.  :D

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
That's quite a year :)

- Gen Con (maybe!)

Let me know if you do go- I'm planning on it. It's always fun to meet up with LAF members.
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Sir Barnaby Hammond-Rye

• Mastermind
    • The Tekumel Project
Re: Denizens of Azor: The Princess & the Queen, new sculpts by Kev White
« Reply #339 on: April 11, 2017, 11:32:17 PM »
Alex: Backing ALL of that!

Offline tjgreenway

• Bookworm
« Reply #340 on: April 12, 2017, 06:43:13 AM »
Having recently discovered your line of miniatures, it's great to see such big plans going forward - they really are gorgeous, can't wait to put an order in soon and take my Pulp gaming into a Lost World setting  :D

Offline Dante904

• Student
« Reply #341 on: April 14, 2017, 06:22:10 PM »
Awesome stuff. When and where will it be available?
Especially love the sisters. Kev always were my favorite sculptor :o

Offline Alxbates

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #342 on: April 14, 2017, 09:34:43 PM »
Awesome stuff. When and where will it be available?
Especially love the sisters. Kev always were my favorite sculptor :o

Dante - most of it is available right now!  Send me a message for more info.  I sell it directly in the US, and Fenris Games now carries my entire line for the UK and Europe.

The stuff that I described as "upcoming projects" should all be finished and available during the next year or year-and-a-half, depending on how things go.

As for the Queen and the Princess (mother and daughter, actually, not sisters), they are at the caster right now.  I'm having resin masters made, and I expect to sell some of those fairly soon to help defray the cost of the sculpts.  Kev is one of my favorite sculptors, too, and he does fantastic work - but commissioning him is a significant investment.

I'll probably have 10 or 12 of those resin masters available, but, the figures will see a wide release as part of a royal court set that I'll be releasing via Kickstarter this fall - those will be metal miniatures. The resin is a strictly super limited production thing.  Fenris might possibly have a few of the resin masters for sale at Salute, but, I'm not sure that the timing will work out for that.

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #343 on: April 14, 2017, 09:51:39 PM »
Going through the last few pages I see you mentioned that it was a queen and princess, but I'm probably not the only one that got distracted by the beautiful miniatures in this thread.

Offline Alxbates

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #344 on: April 15, 2017, 12:36:17 AM »
Going through the last few pages I see you mentioned that it was a queen and princess, but I'm probably not the only one that got distracted by the beautiful miniatures in this thread.

Perfectly reasonable, in my opinion lol