Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:41:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686487
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Denizens of Azor: Man-Apes and more Man-Apes!  (Read 113729 times)

Offline Alxbates

• Mad Scientist
    • Forge of Ice on Faceboook!
Re: Denizens of Azor: Eye of the Cyclops Kickstarter preview
« Reply #450 on: June 11, 2018, 11:08:06 PM »
Eesh, it's been a little while since I've checked in.  I've been working on getting more stuff finished for the game booklet - I *think* I'm going to be able to launch the Kickstarter this week... or maybe next week.  I'm probably overthinking things again!

This is very nearly the final cover for the book - there may be some small tweaks here and there, but this is pretty much it.  Painting by Didier Normand, graphic design and logos by Brian Roe:

Looks like it's going to come in at about 30 pages, it's a guide on the history and practices of the Cyclops Cult, along with a bit of an overview of Azor, and a short multi-encounter campaign with the Cult as the opponent.

This is the sort of game book that I always wanted - light on rules, heavy on backstory.  It's system agnostic (I'm serious when I say light on rules - when I play RPG's I truly believe that the system doesn't matter very much), with only a few charts and tables explicitly spelled out. 

I'm trying to get as many illustrations together as I can - mostly by Jesse Switters, but a few by me (and maybe one or two by other people), I like my game books to have lots of pictures, and I've got a few things lined up as stretch goals - shields, a pet lizard, a little pile of sacrificial skulls, a female guard captain.  Maybe even a big map if things go crazy!

These are just previews, these pieces of art are finished.  I'll be posting the finished art as the campaign progresses.  Gotta have fodder for regular updates!

I think I've already shown photos of the minis, but all the main minis in the campaign have already been sculpted, most of them have been molded and cast, too.

That's the current high priest of the cult, and the cult's most sacred treasure - the Eye of the Cyclops, a huge gem reputed to have hypnotic powers, socketed into the skull of an ancient cyclops..
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 01:17:53 AM by Alxbates »

Offline orc

• Scientist
« Reply #451 on: June 12, 2018, 05:33:41 AM »
 :-* :-* :-* I can't wait... >:(very promising !!!

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #452 on: June 12, 2018, 06:36:35 AM »
Very cool, I particularly like the illustrations of the guards.
My current project...Classic Wargame - An experiment in 24" of wargaming!

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=140633.new#new

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #453 on: June 12, 2018, 12:24:11 PM »
Fantastic!  :-*

Offline Alxbates

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #454 on: June 17, 2018, 05:27:28 AM »
And the Kickstarter is live!  About 70% funded on day one!

Check it out, share the link, tell your friends :)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/966071466/the-eye-of-the-cyclops-from-forge-of-ice

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
Re: (Kickstarter) Denizens of Azor: Eye of the Cyclops
« Reply #455 on: June 17, 2018, 06:55:23 AM »
I hope you don't mind but I amended your title to show the kickstarter was live as it stated it was a preview. I thought you might get more attention! Good luck with this, it's a cracking idea.

Offline Alxbates

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #456 on: June 17, 2018, 10:34:23 PM »
I hope you don't mind but I amended your title to show the kickstarter was live as it stated it was a preview. I thought you might get more attention! Good luck with this, it's a cracking idea.

It's all good - and I think you're right, the changed title is better.

I'm a little fried after that last push to get this thing launched!  Happy to accept help wherever it's offered!

I have some concerns that my pushing this as solely a 'pulp' project may be cutting into my potential audience - I know that this will appeal to fantasy players, too, but I don't want to do a duplicate thread.

And, in my head, the setting is a Lost World, of the type that Tarzan or Doc Savage would discover.  Also, despite weird drugs and lotus flowers and hypnotic smokes, there's nothing explicitly magical in Azor... so, I think that leaves me squarely in the pulp realm. 

Ah, well.  I probably need to do a set of 'stranded 1930's explorers' or something to make it more explicitly set in the Pulp heyday.

It's been off to a great start so far, looks like it might be funded later today.  I've already gotten in touch with the sculptors (Patrick Keith and David Soderquist) about working on stretch goals - the armored cyclops should be finished before the campaign ends, and some extra cult guards shortly afterwards.

I think at this point the big thing is to get the word out, so if anyone has a blog or a podcast, or if you're active on Twitter or Tumblr or Reddit or Google+ or any of the various social media networks, sharing a link to the campaign is a big help.  The more pledges it gets, the more free stuff will come with the main set, and the more options will be available as purchasable add-ons, too!

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #457 on: June 18, 2018, 12:27:24 AM »
And funded! Wishing you all the best - keeping my eye on this.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Muzfish4

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #458 on: June 18, 2018, 12:40:41 AM »
Several of the folk I 'follow' on KS have pledged already which speaks volume for its appeal.

I am pretty close to backing and was wondering about:

1. Postage to Australia - happy to go with a cheaper surface mail option; and

2. Ability to include add-ons.

Best of luck with the venture.

Offline Johnno

• Mastermind
« Reply #459 on: June 18, 2018, 12:49:36 AM »
I'm watching this.
I just want to know what the add ons are.
Yearly painting challenges only show me how useless I am at painting...

Offline Alxbates

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #460 on: June 18, 2018, 10:09:38 AM »
Several of the folk I 'follow' on KS have pledged already which speaks volume for its appeal.

I am pretty close to backing and was wondering about:

1. Postage to Australia - happy to go with a cheaper surface mail option; and

2. Ability to include add-ons.

Best of luck with the venture.

Thank you!  We just hit $4000, the first stretch goal, so I'm optimistic that we'll hit another (or two!) before this campaign is over.

1 - Postage to Australia will be via the cheapest option possible, I've shipped numerous orders to Australia in the past, this shouldn't be a problem.  I'm headed to the post office tomorrow to determine shipping to South Africa;  I can ask about shipping to Oz while I'm there.  Obviously, if you add extras on or if a bunch of things get added as freebies, that will increase the weight and shipping cost, but I can give you an estimate for the basic set at least.

1 - Add-ons will include a bunch of things from my regular range of miniatures (basically anything where I can afford to take the 10% hit that Kickstarter & the card processors take), as well as duplicates of most of the things available in the Kickstarter.  I suspect that people will want to buy extras of the cult guards and shields, and maybe an extra cyclops or two, too.

I'm happy to answer any other questions that come up.

-Alex

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
« Reply #461 on: June 18, 2018, 03:50:54 PM »
Well done on funding. I think the Lost World vibe is a good one and it does set it apart from most of the stuff on the fantasy board. Some 30s adventurers would be good too.

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #462 on: June 19, 2018, 06:54:37 AM »
Just watched this video and it made me think of this project.

https://www.facebook.com/TEDEducation/videos/2046756712004191/UzpfSTM3MzM0OTY2OTY5NjE0MDo2MDk1NDczMDI3NDMwNDE/

...cyclopean sheep...
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 06:42:44 AM by Lost Egg »

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #463 on: June 20, 2018, 12:43:02 AM »
Fantastic! I've been waiting for this one. Looks awesome!  :-*

Offline Alxbates

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #464 on: June 22, 2018, 10:24:25 AM »
Just watched this video and it made me think of this project.

https://www.facebook.com/TEDEducation/videos/2046756712004191/UzpfSTM3MzM0OTY2OTY5NjE0MDo2MDk1NDczMDI3NDMwNDE/

...cyclopean sheep...

Not too far off of the actual inspiration for this campaign, actually.  I'll put up a post about it at some point.