Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:56:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686617
  • Total Topics: 118114
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: How about a topic for pulp boats too?  (Read 35068 times)

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
Re: How about a topic for pulp boats too?
« Reply #105 on: February 02, 2016, 04:33:19 AM »
Very cool!

Offline PortCharmers

• Assistant
« Reply #107 on: February 06, 2016, 11:22:27 PM »
As I have insinuated recently, I've been up to something as well. She's a more like a Victorian era passenger steamer, but would feel at home in the 1930s as well, like the aging, decommissioned liner that is chartered by a pulp adventurer-party.

She's inspired by turn-of-the-centuries tin-toys which i saw in a museum, the proportions a compromise between larger scale details and smaller scale ship, like I metioned in a thread about scale in the "workbench" section. 28mm figures should fit and i am sure I can find some seamen, ladies, gentlemen and adventurers I can disarm and let walk the decks.

Jigsaw Puzzle

With a bit of imagination, you can see a ship

The other end

I hope it's not too far off-topic, after all, she's an RC model populated with 28mm minis, not a gaming model.

Keep a weather eye on the horizon
Peter

Offline Valerik

• Mad Scientist
  • "...promiscuously brandishing a revolver..."
« Reply #108 on: February 07, 2016, 04:58:19 AM »
I hate, loath, despise, abominate and abhor talent...

Valerik

"...As someone with no personal intrinsic originality (a simple thief of my betters)..."
-Lysander 2/7/14
BGR

"Fart in the devil's face"
Martin Luther

Offline PortCharmers

• Assistant
« Reply #109 on: September 30, 2018, 09:08:06 PM »
Long time no sea...

where are all the shipmates?

Meanwhile, on this fair side of the world:

I tried my hand in weathering. Rust in acrylics, wooden bumper strips are dyed in grey, painted in clear varnish, then in black, then chipped away with sand paper and scalpel. Hull No.2 (passenger liner Countess of Lovelace) can be seen taking shape in the background.

The lettering was done with a nib-pen. a bit lop-sided, but I've seen worse paint jobs on real ships (I know that's a lame excuse).

Time that I check where I saw these nice 28mm pulp sailors.

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #110 on: October 01, 2018, 02:42:26 AM »
Oh wow.  :o :o :o  Well worth the wait!  :-*  She is a real beauty.

Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here!

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #111 on: October 01, 2018, 05:16:02 AM »
Wow... That's a real beauty. How did I miss this?

I like your conservative use of weathering. I (and I am not alone) tend to overdo it.

I have an old Billing Boats freight ship (kit from the 60s) which I plan to make into a waterline model for gaming. It uses mahogany strips for the hull. What did you use for the hull?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 05:25:44 AM by Hammers »

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #112 on: October 01, 2018, 07:32:28 AM »
Now THAT is a Tramp freighter.

You going to waterline it? If not, what's your plan for gameplay?

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline PortCharmers

• Assistant
« Reply #113 on: October 01, 2018, 07:35:52 PM »
Thanks for the flowers...

sorry, I'll have to disappoint you. I'm not doing any wargaming, I'm just lurking around here for inspiration because i like the way you build models from scratch (or not even that), paint (& weather) stuff and value creativity more than extreme scale-realism. On the other hand, I'd like to show off some of my work that lives in the space where wargaming and scale-modelling overlap.

So the gameplay for this sort of model is to take it to a beautiful lake, let it sail its rounds, relax and enjoy the scenery.

The construction is classic plank on frame made from plywood. 4mm for the frames, the tricky bits around the bow and stern are filled with balsa-blocks and sanded to shape. Planking is in 2mm ply. Since the midship-section is rather box-shaped, the planks there are wide (about 50-70mm) and stand over the top of the frames to form the bulwarks. where they approach the complicated curves of bow and stern, they are cut to strips of about 8-10mm.

A baby-photo: frames are attached to chip-board to hold them together before the planks do, and the bow and stern blocks are not shaped yet (I misused my car as a workbench to be able to make this mess in the garden). The slots in the sides show the deck levels, where the frames are later cut off.

From the inside you still see the broad planks in front of the motor, the strips around the curves and the stern block, which has been hollowed out to make room for the rudder mechanism.

@Hammers:  which Billings kit is it?

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #114 on: October 01, 2018, 08:10:21 PM »

@Hammers:  which Billings kit is it?

I can't really tell, but it must be a very early one, perhaps one of the first, sie it has no release nr on it. I am guessing it is from the 50s or earl 60s. It was 1/4 completed when I found it in a vintage shop. Very Tintin, the whole experience.

Offline PortCharmers

• Assistant
« Reply #115 on: October 01, 2018, 09:15:06 PM »
Interesting. Can you post some pictures? Of course only if it's sufficiently pulpy to fit this thread. Have you found any treasure maps or other leads for the true Tintinny experience? 

Offline roadskare63

• Scientist
« Reply #116 on: October 02, 2018, 03:36:39 AM »
Beautiful build PortCharmers!!....I
love the shot of the S.S Kauru cruising the lake!.....Just watch out for the natives in their war skiffs!! ;)
Cheers,
Carl
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 03:53:17 AM by roadskare63 »

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
« Reply #117 on: October 02, 2018, 05:52:50 AM »
Very impressive modelling. You are, of course, welcome to simply display your models. Modelling and painting has always been a big part of the LAF.

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #118 on: October 02, 2018, 03:49:58 PM »
Excellent work!  :-*

Online tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #119 on: October 03, 2018, 08:31:02 PM »
I absolutely adore handcrafted models that have form and function. I think there's something quite sad about fully hulled ships in display cases(a bit of hypocrite since museum displays are bread and butter.)oddly enough sailing ships look right. ::)
I absolutely agree its the right place to show scale builds. It provides inspiration ,and If nothing else it can point gamers to new sources of bits to kit bash.
I don't have the spare time to build such things for myself.More to the point there's no Mrs TSG would let me spend hours and hours of what little spare time we have building one.
I can normally justify an hour here or there.( thank the gods for the Soaps!)
So I cane out quite bits like these (just cereal packet nonsense that's disappeared  with photo rot and thread age.) that can be hidden in the workshop or given to number three son for his pulp games.Plus an airboat that fits the pulp bill.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 09:08:20 PM by tin shed gamer »