Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:04:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690831
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: (KICKSTARTER) TTCombat - Wild West Scenics  (Read 4256 times)

Offline dberna67

• Bookworm
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 09:01:57 AM by Prof.Witchheimer »

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Re: New Kickstart
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 11:14:56 PM »
Looks shockingly mediocre compared to all the other Old West offerings - but looks like it's aimed for a real budget-conscious gamer, so in that respect, okay.  Would I hate playing on a table with that stuff?  No, of course not, but the designs are quite questionable compared to the other major companies.  They look very cartoony and don't appear to have had any research done into the buildings themselves.

So...meh.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Black Burt

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 11:19:36 PM »
I agree with Elbows, what could have been a good idea is rather disappointing in its finished appearance.

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 11:24:23 PM »
Some disappointing details - the roof slates look too big, some of the layouts are not convincing (screens in the surgery, tiny lean-to outhouse jail cell for the sheriff), and although I'm a terrain addict, even I resisted.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 12:15:32 AM »
They look like the Sylvanian Families stuff to me... o_o

Still, someone (quite a few 'someone's) have pledged, so it must appeal to some, I guess.
 ::)

Offline Cory

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 02:43:47 AM »
What do I think - I would be embarrassed to have these on a table, they are just too far off from the subject matter.

Offline Doomsdave

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2014, 06:21:14 AM »
Swing and a miss. 

I was open-minded until I saw the "XXX" engraved on the Burlesque House.   :o
This is my boomstick!

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2014, 11:06:51 AM »
They look like the Sylvanian Families stuff to me... o_o

Yep, or just plain awful.  ::)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2014, 11:29:37 AM »
Yep, or just plain awful.  ::)

Go get 'em Tex!  :D

Actually, some of them remind me of the Plasticville buildings - which peculiarly, lots of people seem to rave about...  ::)
Same kind of vibe as far as I'm concerned.

Offline styx

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2014, 11:59:07 AM »
Swing and a miss. 

I was open-minded until I saw the "XXX" engraved on the Burlesque House.   :o

Yea, but you could make your own sign to fix that......at least they don't look like Barbie Houses or made by Fisher Price. Not bad for the price and for the gamer on a budget this isn't a bad investment on some of the select buildings.
Check out my blogs!

Warhammer 40k, Fantasy and more!: http://armyoftheweek.blogspot.com

Warhammer Historicals: Legends of the High Seas and Old West, Gladiator: http://diceoflegends.blogspot.com/

Strange Aeons: http://strangeraeonsadventures.blogspot.com

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2014, 12:34:06 PM »
They look to be the scale of the past for me so it is not like I have a dog in the fight but if it lets someone run games that might not otherwise be run... then it is good for those people.

Part of the problem is that we have a hobby community that is beyond diverse to the point of fractured pieces only united by the concept of "miniatures" and frequently hyper-critical (me too on occasion) of those who don't meet our 'standards' for how people should play our games.

If it was my scale/size would I buy them?  No, because they don't fit my setting (Adobes might tempt me, especially if 15 mm or 6 mm,) not so much because of their appearance as less than museum quality.  Hawleg/Gutshot lost my business when I found acceptable - but not as "nice" looking - structures available long before they had their adobe buildings available.  [Do they even sell them any more?]  These appear to be available and affordable for those who want/need inexpensive structures. 

YMMV and probably should.

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Quendil

• Mastermind
    • Quendil's World
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2014, 02:01:06 PM »
My daughter would love them but she is 4  o_o

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2014, 02:18:56 PM »
I actually bought the bank and store from eBay months ago. They aren't anywhere near as detailed as a lot of the mdf stuff on offer, but I got them for about £6-7 each. I intend to use them as a basis for development rather than off the shelf solutions. Looking at the kickstarter I don't think I will bother with any more.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2014, 02:24:19 PM »
I actually bought the bank and store from eBay months ago. They aren't anywhere near as detailed as a lot of the mdf stuff on offer, but I got them for about £6-7 each. I intend to use them as a basis for development rather than off the shelf solutions. Looking at the kickstarter I don't think I will bother with any more.

Me too, I have the 4 buildings, Bank, store, office and cant think of 4th plus gallows for £30 form Trolltrader. Later got Burlesque house.

They are fairlyu basic, nice and easy to put together, lack of a roof means I will be scratch building my own. I dont mind them to be honest as only playing amongst mates so not overly worried. I had scratch built a good 8-10 many moons ago and these add to it. Havent tried painting yet but of note most are brick design will see how they take paint. Not bad for the money and the troll trader deal would get you 4 and the gallows for the price of 2-3 normal ones so suit me ;D as only ever a side project.

Offline richarDISNEY

• Mad Scientist
  • Rescue Drinkin' and Gamin' Club
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2014, 02:26:07 PM »
Yep, or just plain awful.
I agree, but I think that of all of the laser cut stuff.
I'm more of a resin fan.
"What exactly is a 'Headpiece to the Staff of Ra'?"

RicharDISNEY

Rescue Drinkin' and Gamin' Club