Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 10:18:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: New Renedra Desert building  (Read 9963 times)

Offline Carvel2

• Assistant
Re: New Renedra Desert building
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2014, 12:31:10 AM »
You get the awning too.
You can't get too much table ware on a spru
IMHO : )
My plan is to use the stairs as access to the ramparts to the fort I'm building and the remaining block house placed in the central courtyard.
The awning I will cut in half  for shaded areas in the courtyard ..
One side fixed to a  wall.
The kit has solved quite a few problems for me in 'dressing'
My self build.

Offline Carvel2

• Assistant
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2014, 12:33:26 AM »

Clearer picture of the dome/stairs
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 12:41:21 AM by Carvel2 »

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2014, 09:08:45 AM »
That makes it so much better.
Everyone's happy to pay for jugs :~}

lol lol lol
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2014, 06:07:01 PM »
I'm in two minds as to whether those are meant to be exposed mud bricks on those models or sandbags. From the photo, they look sod all like the former and much more like the latter but their placement suggests otherwise.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Carvel2

• Assistant
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2014, 11:25:15 PM »
They are bricks for sure Carlos

Apologies that my picture doesn't make that clear for you.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2014, 07:02:24 AM »
No probs. A bit rounded aren't they or is that just a trick of the light? I 've seen people making mud bricks, lots of them as it happens and they generally use a wood former, which is er.. brick shaped not pillow shaped. They are also (usually) a fair bit smaller than those appear to avoid overly long drying times, which invites cracking.

Offline mikeland

• Librarian
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2014, 07:13:42 AM »
Wow! I didn't realise in had posted a topic on TMP by mistake!

Oh wait, I haven't, this is actually the legendary LAF...

Way to make the new guy feel welcome!  :-[

I don't mind people disagreeing or not liking the posted item but there are ways of doing it, anyone would think that Renedra had caused the world banking crisis or something, not made a plastic model kit.

Yes, you personally could maybe make 3-4 foamcoare kits for the same price, but not everyone has the time, skills or inclination.

No, Renedra are really not the profiteering spawn of the perceived evil empire (GW). If you took 5 minutes to chat to them, at a show, on the phone or via email you would learn that they are anything but that.

Plastic kits cost a lot of money to tool. The average full Size sprue is pretty much at round the £5-7 mark, whosever is making it.

Just to clarify I personally have no stake in Renedra or any other miniatures company.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 07:36:14 AM by mikeland »

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2014, 07:19:12 AM »
Sorry. Welcome aboard. The criticism isn't aimed at you, rather the model itself, which seems to be a bit less than we have come to expect of Renendra.

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2014, 07:19:36 AM »
Carvel2, are you the modeller for these? Any chance of sharing other things that you have made, if so?  :D
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

former user

« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2014, 08:02:16 AM »
@mikeland

how can You take criticism on a model building company personally? You posted  pictures of a new model, forumites had seen that couple of months before and commented similarly sceptical. You did not even paint it and noone commented on the paint job, so how is this about a welcome to You?

the scepticism has a reason, and it is basically directed at the marketing choice of an otherwise well liked scale model company. It is not even mainly about the sculpt, but about the fact that obviously a lot of people think that it does not stand up against other "desert buildings"  available in the market, so there is actually no reason to spend a lot of money on those sprues (also because many here already made their desert buildings and can judge the effort making it). Look at the Italeri 1/72 desert house, it was a lot more interesting and still they took it of the market because it probably sold badly.

but how can You take that personally?
I am never shy of apologizing if I wrote something ambigious but in this case I don't see the point. nobody threw anything at You....

Every now and then, when one of us was too lazy when posting a new topic and someone has a bad day, we might get a snarky comment like: "hey dude, we had that topic grazed over two months ago, please do use the search engine". You didn't even get that one, so what are You complaining about?

« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 08:15:01 AM by bedwyr »

Offline mikeland

• Librarian
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2014, 08:41:33 AM »
Wasn't referring to myself as the new guy.

former user

« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2014, 08:46:08 AM »
same goes for @carvel2 too, since he did the nice painting and not the renedra building, if I get that right.

so, welcome to the forum

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2014, 09:27:39 AM »
Calm, calm, calm...  :)

It's hard to tell from a couple of small photos. I'll be interested to see it in the flesh at Salute.

I have a big pile of resin adobes from various makers, and I must say this doesn't look particularly brilliant by comparison. But we shall see.

I think perhaps the look of it is just a bit unexpected from Renedra. Their previous buildings have all been extremely finely detailed - indeed, too small and finely detailed for some people's tastes, including mine. Whereas this one looks a bit clunky. But maybe that's just the nature of the building. Adobes are kind of crude looking after all...

Offline mikeland

• Librarian
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2014, 10:18:51 AM »
@former user

How can I not take criticism of a plastic model making company and their product personally, it is personal, very personal!! Nah, I didn't take that stuff personally at all, I am happy to debate the pros and cons of such triviality till the cows come home.  lol

I have lurked on here for a long time, and only posted a few times in the 5 months since I actually signed up, and I confess I was surprised by the wave of negativity this thread generated. I had used the search function to see if there was a pervious topic about this I could just add to, but I couldn't find anything (my google fu must have been weak). And I was possibly a bit embarrassed In that I had bigged up the idea of posting Carvels pictures on here to him, and the response was not great.

So, apologies if I have been a bit over sensitive. Certainly not my intention to create a ruckus or anything.

former user

« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2014, 10:24:10 AM »
come on...  ;)
not my business to give advice on forum etiquette  lol
but a different title might have been less "plug implicating", like:
look how well a friend of mine polished this turd  :D