Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 10:32:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Heart of Spain: Thälmann Battalion  (Read 14004 times)

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
Heart of Spain: Thälmann Battalion
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2006, 06:49:38 AM »
Can't help with German books on the SCW, but here are three in English that are in front of me:

1. "The Spanish Revolution" by Stanley G. Payne, WWNorton & Co., NY 1970. This book gets deep into the social and political tensions that culminated in the SCW, and the first half of its 374 pages of text are spent explaining the factions and movements prior to the start of the war.

2. "The Spanish Civil War" by Hugh Thomas, Harper Brothers, NY 1961. It's been a while since I read this one, but I remember it as a well written general history. It also starts off with explanations of the political factions, and it's only on page 124 (out of 624 of text) that one reaches the critical event of July 13, 1936 (the murder of Calvo Sotelo).

3. "The Passionate War: the Narrative History of the Spanish Civil War" by Peter Wyden, Simon and Schuster, NY 1983. This author gets right to it, reaching the July 13 event on page 32 (out of 523 of text).  I'm starting on this one, and it reads well and seems to be very straightforward.

Powell's books in Portland, the USA's largest single bookstore, which also sells books online, has some of these in its Spain section.

Warren B.
Sailors have more fun!

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2006, 09:21:51 AM »
Wow, check out the big brain on Chris!

Harhar, just two semesters of linguistics seven years ago, but such things stick to my mind - and the books are still around, too. This could be a nice discussion topic for "pulp german" - "Umlaut - sounds of vile or ridicule?". ;) :mrgreen:

Quote from: "Neldoreth"

Secondly, Anarchists are not against organization and order, they are just against authority. That is, anarchism is against government-imposed order! Anarchism opposes order at the edge of a blade, the side of a club, or the end of a gun, or by majority tyranny like in representative 'democracies'. Order is good, organization is great, authority is bad. That is the idea. The anarchistists in the SCW were also syndicalists (which means unionists). Unions are totally about organization![/b]

Yes, the anarchosyndicalists! :lol: You gotta love it. Must be the most oxymoronic movement ever.

Offline Poliorketes

• King of the Congo
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Never look back
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2006, 12:18:38 PM »
It's been a long time since I read some books about the spanish civil war, but they've been definitely in german.
If you come for the king, you better not miss (Omar)

Offline Maichus

• Scientist
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2007, 06:09:49 PM »
It's been some time since someone's posted in this thread but I recently stumbled on these links, that might be of some use to anyone, whose interested in the Spanish civil war (particularly in the tanks, that saw action during it):

http://mailer.fsu.edu/~akirk/tanks/spain/Spain-1.html
http://mailer.fsu.edu/~akirk/tanks/spain/Spain-2.html

Offline Doctor Merkury

• Librarian
  • A better world through Alchemy, Science, and Lead
    • Doctor Merkury's Lab
Spansih Civil War
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2007, 01:24:05 PM »
Hey guys,

Here are some of my Spanish Civil War stuff:

http://www.displacedminiatures.com/doctor%20merkury/galleries.html

I'm in the process of writing a supplement for Iron Ivan Games' Disposable Heroes Coffin for Seven Brothers rule system covering the Spansih Civil War.

Doc
"They called me mad at the University..."

Offline Grimm

• Two-time LPL Champion (Season 2 and 3) Supporting Adventurer
  • The Colonial Tales Winner
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Grimms-Hangar on Facebook
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2007, 04:39:19 PM »
Oh when will it be ready and it is posible to use it for BOB ?
ttps://www.facebook.com/pages/Grimms-Hangar/196455560521708

Offline Doctor Merkury

• Librarian
  • A better world through Alchemy, Science, and Lead
    • Doctor Merkury's Lab
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2007, 06:59:27 PM »
Couple months for the SCW Supplement as for BoB, they do have a Chinese Warlord List and Chinese Guerilla list in their Pacific Theater Supplement "Red Sun, Red Death".  They do have a free pdf supplement for the Rif War 1921-27 Morocco which could be tweaked for Central Asian forces.

Check it out:

http://www.ironivangames.com/rifwar.pdf

Doc