Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:06:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Important poll on IHMN  (Read 9738 times)

Online YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
Re: Important poll on IHMN
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2014, 08:38:03 PM »
Personally I'm kind of done with cthulhu influences. Still if its only one or two forces I could live with it.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2014, 08:40:24 PM »
Isn't there a 20s gangster version of Pulp Alley also coming out soon? That's not to say there isn't room for two well written rules sets!

Offline stonedzep

• Assistant
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2014, 08:42:53 PM »
If IHMN is heading into Cthullu territory, I'd be even more enthusiastic.  :-*

ok, we're now cross-overing a bit too far, but who knows? Might be an interesting point the mixing of an overwhelming dark pantheon of evil god/s with human-very very mortal "working class heroes" in the dieselpunk era...

ok I'm deliriuming... sanity check rolling...

Offline EndTransmission

• Scientist
  • Little horror
    • EndTransmission's random gaming things
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2014, 08:43:43 PM »
Sounds like a fun idea. As others have mentioned, some horror twist as well would be great, as would some ties to a few remaining companies from IHMN

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2014, 02:12:06 AM »
If IHMN is heading into Cthullu territory, I'd be even more enthusiastic.  :-*

That would be a "-1" for me.  Horses for courses,...

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline vsfguthroth

• Librarian
  • Literature ends in 1100 after that it's just books
    • My IHMN East Africa Blog
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2014, 08:18:46 AM »
To be clear, I think IHMN is excellent in it's current setting, but I would find a re-boot post 1919 using the current rules engine very interesting.

Under such a development the world of IHMN probably never happens, instead the post WW1 world is where the changes take place. (Maybe Hitler succeeds in his coup in 1923).

However, the apalling loss of life during the Great War has awakened the dark forces of the Old Ones and their ssociates. By about 1930 cults capable of making real these demonic forces are threatening the world order.

Yup, it appeals to me.
“You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.”
W.S. Churchill

Offline Joe Fish

• Librarian
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2014, 09:32:02 AM »
I can readily see the extension of the period covered with the mechanics of IHMN.  I think the 1920's to 1930's a great era for real life with a twist. Everything is not mapped, technology still very primitive, people can come and go over vast reaches but disappear quite easily. King Kong and Mao and biplanes and state troopers and Cord coupes and bathtub gin and bush and desert wars.  Best of all, I have some figures painted already. I'm in.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2014, 12:52:07 PM »
I can't say that Cthulhu appeals to me overly, but nevertheless it's part of the time... as are all sorts of cults and societies involved in the supernatural or otherworldly things. If you don't like it, there's no reason you have to include it though. Certainly you can take the view that what a cult believes in and which motivates them, and what actually exists in 'your' world, are two entirely different things. You can have a 'Cult of Dagon' without actually introducing deep ones into your games.

Horses for courses indeed, but baby and bathwater also springs to mind.  ;)

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2014, 02:20:09 PM »
To be clear, I think IHMN is excellent in it's current setting, but I would find a re-boot post 1919 using the current rules engine very interesting.

Under such a development the world of IHMN probably never happens, instead the post WW1 world is where the changes take place. (Maybe Hitler succeeds in his coup in 1923).

However, the apalling loss of life during the Great War has awakened the dark forces of the Old Ones and their ssociates. By about 1930 cults capable of making real these demonic forces are threatening the world order.

Yup, it appeals to me.

I can see where that would be interesting to people but a reboot means all the previous work is lost/teams can't cross over.  At least not easily.

Two options:

1) Reboot as a parallel set of rules where the IHMN world never happened (stand alone)

2) Extrapolate a world that developed from IHMN.  Hmm, that might be hard and could be full of paradoxes...

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2014, 02:21:42 PM »
I can't say that Cthulhu appeals to me overly, but nevertheless it's part of the time... as are all sorts of cults and societies involved in the supernatural or otherworldly things. If you don't like it, there's no reason you have to include it though. Certainly you can take the view that what a cult believes in and which motivates them, and what actually exists in 'your' world, are two entirely different things. You can have a 'Cult of Dagon' without actually introducing deep ones into your games.

Horses for courses indeed, but baby and bathwater also springs to mind.  ;)

Valid points.

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2014, 03:04:12 PM »
I can see where that would be interesting to people but a reboot means all the previous work is lost/teams can't cross over.  At least not easily.

Two options:

1) Reboot as a parallel set of rules where the IHMN world never happened (stand alone)

2) Extrapolate a world that developed from IHMN.  Hmm, that might be hard and could be full of paradoxes...

Gracias,

Glenn

Personally I'd say standalone... as you say, the possible futures that develop from the original IHMN setting are infinite and would be hard to take in or even develop. To function in an alternate world players need to still have some form of anchor in the real one.

I can conceive of a world where the Depression didn't happen, or where Germany did not go Nazi, or any other possible alternate realities to the real one... after the Great War, but what world would grow out of the IHMN world of 1895 and how very different would it be?     

Certainly the character of the era would be lost, which for many is the whole point... for '20s America to exist in the form it did, requires a Great War, not only for the development of the need for the joie de vivre that created flappers and jazz, but also the development of the technology of that time. If we take a follow on from IHMN, then we potentially have an 'Atompunk' '30s which is far more like the '50s but far less liberal in its mores, politically at least. While that could be kinda cool in and of itself, it isn't the '20s/'30s.

A game set in the '20s-'30s still has to convey the idea of them in other words and I can't see how that could be convincingly done by following on from IHMN. I've been surprised before though!

Smith for President in '29!  ;)

Offline vsfguthroth

• Librarian
  • Literature ends in 1100 after that it's just books
    • My IHMN East Africa Blog
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2014, 03:15:20 PM »
Surely a 1920/30's IHNM has to a standalone. As has been said, WW1 (or one that we would recognise as such) simply cannot happen taking the existing 1895 IHMN as a starting point.

Some companies (Ra and the Tongs) would move seamlessly between the two alternates, but given that a 'Company' only needs 10-12 figures at the most, I don't think the lack of crossover as much of an issue.

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Youth & Talent are no match for Age and Treachery.
    • The Ministry of Gentlemanly Warfare
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2014, 04:37:22 PM »
Nearly 200 votes in now. We’ll leave it up a couple of more days to let everyone who want to vote have a chance.

Thank you to all of you who have voted already, this sort of information is really important for the future of the IHMN project.
My sincerest contrafibularities
General Lord Craig Arthur Wellesey Cartmell (ret'd)
https://theministryofgentlemanlywarfare.wordpress.com/

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2014, 07:57:07 PM »
Craig,

It's been a while since this old grognard has enjoyed a set of rules as much as I have these (And I have yet to find a opponent/game!) if nothing else than the companies people have designed.  Whatever route you go, keep the same spirit of the game!

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2014, 08:17:16 PM »
Doesn't have to be another 'Cthulhupalooza' entry for me. Just good old fashioned pulpy fun.

I do like the Diesel aspect, so the potential for more machinery and vehicles is always welcome.
Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here!