Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:28:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 1987 Rogue Trader Guard Command in blister - Worth anything?  (Read 2599 times)

Offline smiler

• Schoolboy
Hi guys, I hope this is the right place to post, I couldn't see any where else that seemed more suitable. I asked this question on another forum and someone suggested asking here and I'm glad they did! I've spent ages looking at thread with RT pictures and battle reports :)

Anyway, I recently bought a big bunch of minis, mostly RT orks and got a sealed blister of Guard Command. It has 5 minis plus the arms and bases. From what I can see it looks to be the 4 on the top row in the first picture here:

http://www.solegends.com/citrt/rtimpguard109.htm

plus a medic who is hidden.

Is this worth anything? And by anything I mean more than about £10. The urge to open it is killing me, even though they'd only end up in my pile of random guard I haven't any plan for!

:) thanks for all help

Offline smokezombie

• Mad Scientist
Re: 1987 Rogue Trader Guard Command in blister - Worth anything?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 08:45:44 AM »
I should coco.  They are easily worth more than 10. I wouldn't be suppressed to see any of those on ebay selling for £5+each.

I am NOT an expert. Just going on what I feel. As an interesting point does selling an old mini that is still in its blister increase the value? When buying I'm not willing to pay extra for minis still in their packaging.

Haven't the foggiest on what they are ACTUALLY worth. I'd love to have then in my mountain tho  :D
"The sword sung on the barren heath,
The sickle in the fruitful field;
The sword he sung a song of death,
But could not make the sickle yield."
William Blake

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 09:08:24 AM »
Leave it blistered mate. It'll just sit in the leadpile gathering valuing while weaker collectors prise theirs open. ;)
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline smiler

• Schoolboy
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 09:19:26 AM »
£5 each? Wow! I prob should hang on to them, if I sold them it'd just go towards more lead anyway :) and like everyone I've too much to paint as it is! I've got a pile of RT/2nd ed orks to paint plus the planned scratch built and looted vehicles, enough work for the next few years probably.

Does anyone who collects worry about packaging? I'd be interested to know if the blister really adds much value. I don't think I've seen much on eBay in blisters tbh.

Offline smokezombie

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 09:50:02 AM »
Haha. Nothing I buy stays in its packaging long. I like to get my grubby mist on them whilst I do my mind modeling.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2014, 10:03:25 AM »
The packaging itself not as much, but most people will pay a bit more of they are the ones to open the original blister.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2014, 10:08:42 AM »
£5 each? Wow! I prob should hang on to them, if I sold them it'd just go towards more lead anyway :) and like everyone I've too much to paint as it is! I've got a pile of RT/2nd ed orks to paint plus the planned scratch built and looted vehicles, enough work for the next few years probably.

Does anyone who collects worry about packaging? I'd be interested to know if the blister really adds much value. I don't think I've seen much on eBay in blisters tbh.

Generally this is the wrong place to seek advice on citadel minis tbh, advice around packaging value will be better elsewhere. Best head to the Oldhammer forum and collecting citadel miniatures google forum. Also blister cards do sell and I've seen favourable ebay sales in the past.

Offline smiler

• Schoolboy
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2014, 11:16:08 AM »
I didn't realise CCM had a forum, I'll have to check that out.

I found the minis on CCM:

http://www.collecting-citadel-miniatures.com/wiki/index.php/Imperial_Guard_-_1988_to_1994#1989_Catalogue_Page_4010_Imperial_Guard

Looks like the Commander, Sergeant, Captain, Standard Bearer and Medic from there. They're from later than I expected.

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2014, 07:13:54 PM »
Ebay is full of these IG models with £5 price tags and the models are quite common. Having trawled Ebay in the past for these models I'd say their real value is more like £3 a piece, although the plastic arms and weapons might bump the price up a little as they're usually absent. Those arm sprues are quite sought after and can get good prices alone (not quite as much as the Squat arms sprues though).

There are some collectors of unopened blisters (there's one guy on Frothers whose name escapes me) and that can add value to the models to those buyers. Worth keeping them blistered for now then. A lot of buyers though just want the models so I reckon you could get around £15 for the pack on a good day. I'm not sure how much they'd be worth to a 'blistered' collector though. I've seen packs with £30-£40 price tags on Ebay but they might be a little over inflated for all I know.

Try asking on the Oldhammer forum as there are a couple of more knowledgeable collectors/traders there.

Offline Baconfat

• Librarian
    • baconfatblog.blogspot.com
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2014, 02:07:17 AM »
They're worthless, I run a shelter for Rogue Trader Guard.  I'll pay pal you the shipping and handling necessary to find them a suitable home.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2014, 11:03:26 AM »
As somebody who buys faaar too much on ebay:

Leave them in the blister unless you're going to paint them imminently yourself.

As to why... Well, these are reasons I will pay a little more for sealed blisters:

1) I can be fairly certain the figure is original and not a recast.

2) I can see that the figure is old, and not a re-release. The moulds of old figures wear out, and whilst some figures were sold by GW for a *long* time, the original releases were much crisper because the moulds were new back then, and made with original master models in good condition.

3) Old models were much softer than the newer pewter ones, and if they have been rolling around in a box with other figures for twenty years, the detail loses crispness. For organic fantasy figures, this might not matter much. But, for very small figures like Epic, or for figures where crisp, sharp edges are required (sci-fi or armoured models perhaps), the original packaging will have helped ensure that they've survived in good condition.

4) Certain models are notorious for having bits break off them, and it can be nearly impossible to tell if it's been repaired or not from an ebay pic. Odds of getting an unbroken model are higher if in original packaging.

5) Some models came with parts that were originally separate, or in a different material. Subsequent official models may have been all in one material/part.
Good example are Epic 40k Hydra flame tanks; the models (like most Epic Armageddon tanks that were re-cast in fewer parts than the original Epic 40k  ones) had their tracks cast on to the hull... Backwards. And there's just about nothing you can do to fix the model without ruining it!

6) I can be fairly certain the model(s) is(are) complete. Some models come in a lot of parts, or come with a variety of options which you only use a selection of on the final model. It's therefore hard to get a "complete" models of this type if you are buying one that's already assembled on ebay.

So there you go; six good practical reasons to leave the models in blister, and why people like me feel that original sealed packaging is worth a couple of extra quid.

Of course, that's also without other considerations like the feel of opening a blister of old lead figures, or the nostalgia of poring over the old model pictures on the blister packaging... ;)

Offline smiler

• Schoolboy
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2014, 03:18:18 PM »
Thanks :) all good points which will help me stave off the urge to open them.

I'm painting up some random Void models as mercenaries for RT and some orks, providing a good distraction every time I get itchy fingers. Maybe one day I or someone else will have a really good use for them and they'll get treated right!