Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:38:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686502
  • Total Topics: 118105
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 28mm REH style Bran mak Morn, Picts, Worms of the Earth, Romans & Fomorians ?  (Read 2125 times)

Offline bobblezbob

• Scientist
As the title suggests, I'm thinking of starting a long put off project and looking for input on manufacturers of 28mm figures useable for Robert E. Howards characters from his few stories set in Roman Britain.
For those not familiar with the stories......the Picts, I'm looking for stunted fur covered, shield and spear wielding - almost Neolithic - figures, Worms of the Earth degenerate, naked, malformed humanesque type figures - almost zombie looking - and Bran mak Morn I could probably use any un-helmeted, mail clad barbarian but I'm after something with real character.
The second project is based around Alternative Armies 'Romans in the Mist' Erin supplement rules and scenarios idea of a 'what if' premise that Rome had attempted to land in Ireland and encountered the Irish mythological beings that inhabited the Isle......so I'm looking for suitable 28mm Fomorians (not true giants) and 'weird' figures that could be used.
I'll be running a thread on the Ancients Board for suitable Roman figures, including soldiers that look slightly degenerate from years of inbreeding with the Worm people and battle damaged soldiers to fight the Fomorians.
Looking for about 12-20 figures of each, preferably different poses and available in the UK.

A bit of a long shot and any help would be appreciated.

Regards 

Offline The Gray Ghost

• Mastermind
  • Beware The Gray Ghost
what about GW The Hobbit goblins.
if you check out Crusader and Gripping Beast they have some very nice characters in their lines.
for Neolithic maybe some fur clad germans
AD&D made a few Fomorians also their figures for the underdark, I would also suggest Four A miniatures sea demons, Baueda troggs, primitive orcs.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 12:07:37 PM by The Gray Ghost »
I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it anymore and what is it seems weird and scary.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
Well I think there are a number of options

Celtos will have ideal celt/hero types, also undead in their firbolg range

Alternative armies also have celtic beasts in their range too and their  Formorions are good for other beasties too

North star have some old fantasy forge formorions whihc would be good to use.

Offline northtroll

• Librarian
Try Sgt. Major miniatures for the old Vendel lines. The fur clad barbarians might work nicely. Pulp figures by bob Murch has some Lost World types that might be useful as well.

Offline Skrapwelder

• Mastermind
  • Pluviophile
    • What Ho, Cythereans!
Copplestone's Cavemen might be good for your Picts.

Offline area23

• Mastermind
    • area23
Some savage orcs could work see this thread:
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=46426.0

otherwise most fantasy ranges have some ghouls that might work.

I see Howards picts, Lovecrafts ghouls and tolkiens orcs as the same basic concept worked out in a differnt way and context.
If you don't believe in lead, you're already dead.
+++AREA23 BLOG+++

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
How about Baueda Trogs

Offline bobblezbob

• Scientist
Thanks for the prompt replies and leads guys, looks like I've got plenty to choose from - its always difficult trying to track down figures that match or come close to how you imagine characters to be when from a book.

Regards

Offline area23

• Mastermind
    • area23
Strangely, the Azande picture disappeared from the Orc thread, so i repost it here again. I think this pack has a lot of potential for conversions:

Offline area23

• Mastermind
    • area23
North Star just released these in the new Lucid Eye range by Steve Saleh: