Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 04:21:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690991
  • Total Topics: 118362
  • Online Today: 742
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: SCW 1:72 Militiawomen sneak peek  (Read 3452 times)

Offline Lluís of Minairons

• Scientist
    • Minairons miniatures
SCW 1:72 Militiawomen sneak peek
« on: March 27, 2014, 07:05:29 PM »
When talking about Milicianas, those of you fond of Spanish Civil War gaming are most likely familiar to images like these below:

Such is certainly the most widespread look in our minds of those Spanish women having volunteered for fighting the military uprising against the Republic. Despite such appearance does respond partly to truth, for there actually arose a “revolutionary dress fashion” in Republican Spain following the uprising, it is not less true that these images also responded to the kind of look war reporters of the time were seeking. So becoming quite of a sketchy, mystified image.

In the end, one can reasonably understand such kind of overalls dressing in the first weeks of street fighting and turmoil... But, can any believe that such costume would be that widespread once the conflict had stabilized along regular front lines? Or after the hot, sunny Summer had given way to a less comfortable climate?

I'd bet not that many of you are so familiar to this other kind of images:

At the time of projecting a series of Republican Militiawomen, sure that we at Minairons Miniatures shouldn't neglect those first captions above –in the end, this is precisely what many are actually expecting us to make. But it is our bid not to restrict ourselves to merely sketchy figures, but to reveal some of the real, quite more assorted thing behind too.

Unlike the whole of our 1/72 SCW figures range, whose sculpting has been entrusted to Juan G. Bautista of Xan Miniatures, this particular series has been commissioned to a different sculptor; one Angel Terol of Madrid town, who is ill-known in wargaming circles still, but holds a wide experience at sculpting larger scale miniatures --mainly for collecting purposes--, besides of being an expert at sculpting female body.

Thus Angel and I agreed short time ago a first, testing figure to be sculpted, with the aim to meet size, style and proportions according to the male figures sculpted by Xan. The selected figure would be one of the 2 NCOs that should lead a female fighters set, accordingly to our sets composition settled schema.

Well, this below is the result.

As said above, one of our main concerns regarding this series is to get ensured they will match fully with the whole range Xan is creating. General look is conceived as to show a relative fragility of body if compared to their male mates. Body proportions have been faithfully adapted in correspondance, as well as size. I'd say we've fully achieved the goal, IMHO.

So, may I know your opinion?

Regards,
Lluís
www.minairons.eu
"Nations that went down fighting rose again, but those who surrendered tamely were finished" - W. Churchill

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Wargame News and Terrain
Re: SCW 1:72 Militiawomen sneak peek
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 07:14:05 PM »
The miniature looks splendid! Amazing work in such a small scale  :o Reposted the preview on my blog I hope you don't mind.
Wargame News and Terrain Blog, daily updated with the latest wargame news

Interested click https://wargameterrain.blogspot.com/

Offline Joe Fish

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 08:11:08 PM »
Wow!  Just really nicely done.  There are few 28mm figures that nice.  Looking forward to more.

Offline Mousethatroared

• Student
  • Game Warden
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 10:17:22 PM »
Lluis. That is one of the best proportioned female miniatures I have seen.  :o Well done! No gargoyle head on a man's or glamour model body here. The pose looks feminine without being patronising or garish. If I were to fault find, and I am not, the uniform looks too form fitted. Based on the photos in this posting, the inevitable weight loss experienced during a campaign and gender unsympathetic quatermaster supply the uniform would perhaps be baggier? At this scale however I would leave as is. Well done again!
"His men would follow him anywhere, but only out of curiosity"

former user

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 12:43:03 AM »
a pity I am not wargaming 1/72 any more...
very well done!

Offline marcusluis

• Scientist
    • marcos painting blog
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 12:55:44 AM »
Im tempted to buy these!!

Offline marcusluis

• Scientist
    • marcos painting blog
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2014, 12:56:59 AM »
Do you sell these in Oviedo any where ?? ???

Offline Slayer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2014, 05:20:37 AM »
looks great, looks like you'll be taking my money when u have a full unit for sale :D
the early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese

• Scientist
    • Minairons miniatures
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2014, 07:28:55 PM »
Do you sell these in Oviedo any where ?? ???

Hi Marcusluis,

As far as I currently know, the closest place where you'd be able to purchase our stuff is Xan Miniatures website (http://www.xanminiatures.com/). They're located in Ponferrada town.

Best regards,
Lluís

Offline earthdog

• Bookworm
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2014, 02:21:42 PM »
Good to see that she is not a supermodel, a whole set like this should be very useful. Keep up the good work!
Tank? Vot kind of dumbkopf name is that for a Schutzengrabenvernichtungspanzer?

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2014, 11:22:20 PM »
Wow, wish these were in 28mm. I guess she could be a small woman in 28mm, depending on height. How tall will these figures be in mm?

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

• Scientist
    • Minairons miniatures
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2014, 04:14:23 PM »
They're going to be about 19-20mm to the eyebrows --around 1mm shorter than our male figures.