Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:12:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686489
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: A Song of Ice and Fire (A Game of Thrones Blog) (Update: Serry and Wights)  (Read 12148 times)

Offline nickelkers

• Assistant
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2014, 10:29:26 AM »
That dothraki is fantastic :o just like HBO's. Given they made such a strange design that's very impressive.

I've just got a small unpdate for you today, I should be posting up the last of my painted pictures, but look what I got on eBay:

Just the ticket for some Ghiscari around Slavers Bay I reckon.
Nick

Offline LordOdo

• Mastermind
    • StormToren (my wargame blog)
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2014, 12:59:42 PM »
Thanks for liking my dothraki effort!  :D

I'm personally not really in to the Slavers etc. but those guys will look awesome when you've finished them, I guess!
''Its so much easier to build something new than work up the courage to actually paint some.'' -Wyrmalla (2015)

Offline nickelkers

• Assistant
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2014, 07:05:43 PM »
No problem. I guess in that case I'll have to convince you with some well done miniatures.

Offline LordOdo

• Mastermind
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2014, 08:08:22 PM »
I'm sure you will!  ;)

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2014, 08:47:30 PM »
Those are pretty good kits...maybe mix some of the new Gripping Beast Arabs and some of the new FireForge Mongols?  You could kit-bash them all together and probably get a very cool looking unit.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline nickelkers

• Assistant
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire (Game of Thrones miniatures)
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2014, 05:08:57 PM »
I wanted to get the last of my photos posted up here before I move onto the new stuff that's gonna be coming through here.
Although this is actually a WIP, I've only the banner left to do. This will be my Stark bannerbearer, Dacey Mormont.

Now I need to get that Stark sigil painted on.
CC welcome as usual.
Nick

Offline LordOdo

• Mastermind
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2014, 07:42:24 PM »
Looks good!!

Good luck with the banner, I did a Stark banner too, (as I thought it was the most easiest :D )

Offline nickelkers

• Assistant
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2014, 05:43:49 PM »
Hi all, I haven't updated in a while, but I've got some new stuff to show off.
First of all I haven't actually painted any of those Ghiscari yet :? but that doesn't matter if I am at least still painting stuff right?
So they inspired me to convert and paint up a few of the Golden Company, I love the background to these guys, and am definitely not finished with them yet. Anyway here they are:

I have built a fair few of the Ghiscari though. I was pleasantly surprised with the quality of the Wargames Factory stuff. Here are just a few of those that I've made so far.

And Finally a WIP of an great character in my opinion, Strong Belwas (I'm still sad he didn't make it into the TV series), this is purely a GW Harad miniature with only a plastic buckler added, but I thought that he fit pretty well already.

Thanks for looking, leave any thoughts or advice!
Nick

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire (A Game of Thrones Blog)
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2014, 06:12:00 PM »
Strong Belwas is a great character from the books!  He needs a few scars on his belly so we can count how many people he has killed!
Paint log - leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=36840.0

Blog - My life in Millimetres

Offline nickelkers

• Assistant
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2014, 08:46:18 PM »
Those'll definitely be put on during painting don't you worry!

Offline nickelkers

• Assistant
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2014, 05:41:37 PM »
Strong Belwas is done, sadly the photo from his front came out blurry.

I'm quit happy with him, the skin on his back is pretty starkly highlighted though, I may dull that down at some stage.
CC welcome
Nick

Offline nickelkers

• Assistant
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2014, 02:54:07 PM »
Its been a while due to exams, sport and general other things getting in the way. I've found more time to build figures than paint them, but I've got some painted ones to show.
Firstly is Ser Talbet Serry (or any southron knight) and his household. I tried to make Talbet's armour look very shiny as that's not the normal look I go for but I thought it would fit his character. It hasn't come out perfectly, and I will work on it more before he is completely finished.

I tried to put his house sigil on his shield, so that it would look similar to the one on the wiki (http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/House_Serry), but it hasn't come out particularly well, and I am still working on it, and probably will until I am happy with it. Here it is anyway

I have also been working on some wights to fight wildlings and the Nights Watch beyond the wall. These were my first attempts, I may have overdone the blood and various protruding weapons, but I am quite happy with them. I tried to wash the armour with blues to give them a subtle, cold look, without it being to obvious, and I'm not certain how effective it has been, but as i said I am quite happy with the outcomes.

Well that's all for now, advice welcome of course.
Nick

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
Nice job on the wights, I like the eye effects. I might try to pick out a bit of pallid flesh on the face, but that's just preference.

Belwas turned out nicely, the scars on his belly look good (despite the blurry picture).  The stark highlights can be dulled easily enough with a fleshtone wash.  What kind of camera are you using?  Does it have a macro mode?

Offline nickelkers

• Assistant
Thanks fro the advice, I'm sure it'll come in handy. I use my dad's Canon EOS 1100 (I think), which does have a macro mode which works quite well even with a normal lens, though all my photos are cropped to focus in on the models, what also works well, strangely, is the portrait mode, I have no idea why, but it is good for small models