Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:06:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Hard Times on Mangapore... Part 1 of the Downlode Chronicles  (Read 4566 times)

Offline V

• Mastermind
"Mangapore - Situated on the west coast of Afrikana it has enjoyed a reputation as luxury holiday destination for the rich and wealthy. Where better to escape the rigours of Downlode than a tropical paradise? Sip cool cocktails and watch the pretty girls go by without fear of any Downlode scum ruining your day. Best of all Mangapore runs a select set of entry requirements so you will only rub shoulders (and maybe more) with those of your own social status, so no need to worry about who you meet. Mangapore - The island of Dreams."  From the Mangapore Tourist Bureau

"That was then... Mangapore now is an over grown theme park full of drug gangs and run away crims. All manner of freaks hide out on Mangapore among the ruins of the rich hotels and the fabulous resorts. Its no longer a place for the elite of Downlode to reast... Its now a haven for those who even Downlode shuns... In twenty years Mangapore went from pleasure island to Hell Island..." - Harry Trasker, owner of Trasker's - "We hunt you shoot" - Manhunt Holidays

"Some say Mangapore fell from grace due to de excesses of de rich n famous brudder... Me... I knows different. Me knows de old ways... Me knows what secrets de island holds... Me knows you have to be careful even here in paradise..." - Old George Akinwymbo, Mangapore native

On a hot balmy evening on the island of Mangapore, Bubba Fatass and his gang are preparing to harvest their latest crop of high strength cannabis grown in the fields around the derelict base, that Bubba's gang now call home. Its been a lucrative business and this high quality weed is selling for big bucks in Downlode. Who cares if a few people are getting angry... after this batch you are done as your son Ace has got the old refinery working and you now have a source of oil ready to pump... Things look good for Bubba and his boys...

...Well they did till about three minutes ago...

...Right now, two different corporate dropships just buzzed overhead and you got a garbled message from one of your guys on patrol that the Slicks were here before his radio went dead. Two corporations and Downlode's biggest drug gang all turning up beside your little operation at the same time... Somehow Bubba knew they werent here for the sightseeing...

Bubba Fatass and his boys

"If those guys are here for the sun and the surf... Then Im the next drag queen for Downlode..." - Bubba Fatass

Bubba and his son Ace, and the rest of the gang must try and stop all comers from stealing their crop... Though Bubba aint adverse to making a deal to survive...

...But then again... Bubba has a few secrets of his own...

The evil clone of Laurence Llewelyn-Bowen & his Slicks

"You really need to re-decorate... Let me help you with this pistol and your brains!" - The Llewelyn-Bowen Clone

The Laurence Llewelyn-Bowen Clone & his Slicks have decided its time to stop Bubba and his gang producing such high quality drugs and cutting into their market. So Laurence hired a dropship and a clone assasin and his boys are now onto Mangapore to teach the Fatass a lesson...

Arasaka Combat Research Team 'Hirohito'

"We go in hard and fast... Drop the combat droids and watch them do the business" - Sgt. Goomy, Arasaka Combat Wing

Arasaka need some samples of Bubba's crop for their new designer combat drugs. However it dont look too good to deal with drug gangs so maybe the new combat droid can also get a bit of a test...

IBM Combat and Requisition Team 'Babel'

"Business is business... and its worse than war" - Karl Wulf, IBM Head of Combat R&D

IBM have heard of a new up and running oil refinery operating in the area. Could be a new untapped oil field so its time to 'cut and burn' the area and test the well for purity. Best to make sure there are no locals with a claim to the oil...

So the scene was set for a four way battle royale! However from the start threats and offers of alliances went back and forth... after a few minutes it settled down to Arasaka and Bubba's gang on one side and the Slicks and IBM on the other...

It stayed that way for a while... But like all good action movies, it turned out the Slicks and Arasaka were working together all the time and their plan worked well for them. Well... It worked to a certain extent... Most people were dead or wounded by the end so it was pretty subjective for most of the grunts!

The action started with IBM rushing the town and leap-frogging fire teams along the road covering each other and utilising the drone gun to cover their advance. Very soon they began to cause losses to Bubba's gang, while the Slicks and Arasaka made their way into the town from other directions.

As IBM got caught in a gun battle Arasaka turned on Bubba's gang and close combat broke out in the oil refinery... Within seconds the combat droid handler went down with a pistol shot to the head and as the droids went into combat mode and started shooting anyone near them Ace launched himself into the Arasaka troops in a nailbiting fight along the refineries gantry. He would despatch half of all the Arasaka soldiers before being shot down from behind by two female Arasaka troopers.

Meanwhile IBM fought a hard fight to clear the town of Bubba's gang with some help from the Slicks... However as Bubba went down in a hail of fire, he called upon the spirits of Mangapore and very soon shambling zombies began to emerge from the fields led by two huge werewolves as the sun began to set.

Things kinda got messy from there on in...

As poor old IBM troops tried to deal with the remains of Bubba's gang, a horde of undead and long range fire from Arasaka they soon found themselves under fire from their former Slick allies. Things were made worse by the fact that Bubba's sniper had killed all their special weapon troopers. However they fought on, pushing towards their refinery objective now the scene of much fighting between Slicks and the undead, while the remains of Bubba's gang fled for their lives! As the clone assasin fought the werewolf leader one Arasaka combat droid got too close and was permently shutdown by the clone assasin. Around this time Ace's duel against hordes of Arasaka soldiers came to an end as two of them got behind him and shot him in the back.

By now with casualties mounting (even the camera man filming for Channel 7 news got killed!) things looked bleak for IBM. As the last Arasaka soldier went down the Droids went back to their stated mission objectives, grabbed several crop samples and bugged out... Effectively securing a victory for Arasaka. At the same time the last two members of Bubba's gang dies in a hail of fire from IBM troopers (after killing the IBM leader as they tried to escape) and this fulfilled the Slicks victory conditions.

Sadly Bubba's gang were wiped out and IBM, no matter how hard they tried couldnt get to the oil refinery so both were declared losers...

It was a very bloody and very silly game... But great fun! It also looked pretty too!

Pics in the nest post...

Offline V

• Mastermind
Re: Hard Times on Mangapore... Part 1 of the Downlode Chronicles
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2008, 04:40:17 PM »
Your cameraman for the day... Jonny Noir

Badasses head for Bubba's town...

Bubba and his boys make a stand in the town as IBM troops start the gun battle...

The slicks head into town as Jonny films the gun battle...

The battle rages as Big Zed goes down...

The Slicks and IBM enter the town from opposite ends...

Bubba's sniper takes out an IBM smart gunner... Forgetting the adage "If I can see them... They can see me..."

Bubba takes the fight to IBM only to be felled by fire from Slicks on the rooftop and IBM soldiers, while the Arasaka troops double cross the rest of Bubba's gang at the oil refinery...

More to follow...

Offline V

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2008, 05:03:33 PM »
Ace Fatass holds off the Arasaka troops single handedly while the IBM drone gun accidently looks onto the Slicks leader and their ally...

The Clone Assasin starts killing, while Ace lobs the first soldier over the side and moves onto the next Arasaka grunt...

All hell breaks loose as the undead emerge from the drug fields...

The undead claw at the Slicks and the cameraman wonders why he went for the close up...

The Bowen-Clone gets his suit dirty as he kills one of the werewolves, Ace confronts the Arasaka leader, only to be shot in the back and IBM start dealing with the zombie threat...

The Slicks/IBM alliance breaksdown as they get into a close range gun battle... The Slicks SMGs making a real mess at close range, meanwhile the IBM leader tells a few zombies to "F off before I fookin do ya!"...

Arasaka troopers bring down fire on the drone gun operator only to be shot down by the drone gun when they missed him...

The last few people alive fight it out, Slicks and Arasaka versus IBM...

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2008, 05:35:00 PM »
 :o :o :o

Wow! 

That is one great table!   :-*

Super mini's and story... truly inspiring.

Offline Ironworker

• Mastermind
    • http://ironworkersminiatures.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2008, 05:46:39 PM »
Nice game!  The Cameraman getting killed by the Zombies was classic!  Love the layout of the table.  I really like your white buildings.  How were they made?  Also what rules were you using?

Offline V

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2008, 06:39:17 PM »
The houses are made from MDF... Tough and strong, ideal for gaming!

For rules I used my own version of Necromunda that I have been converting for use in 'Downlode' as a skirmish campaign system and as a mass skirmish system.

Offline marko.oja

• Scientist
    • My Photobucket
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2008, 10:06:27 AM »
Looks damn nice - makes me wish I was there gaming away too. I especially like the camo on the arasaka troopers.

Marko
Currently painting: Black Hat Three Musketeers range.

Offline ace67

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 04:30:32 PM »
brilliant stuff cant wait for the next adventure
ace67
dont fire till ya can see the whites of there eyes

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 06:16:59 PM »
Enjoyed reading and looking at that. Great table and minis. 8)
He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://anevilgiraffe.blogspot.com/
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2008, 09:07:44 PM »
those white buildings are so versatile....

do have templates or a how to for those.... maybe something for Matakashi's site (you still posting Downlode on there?)

Offline Braxandur

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2008, 09:41:03 PM »
Brilliant, I Love it!

Great looking table and a very good read. I guess there will be more coming? (didn't see the police bikes yet  ;))
Why aim for gold if you can get lead?

Offline V

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2008, 08:34:41 PM »
I think we may have templates for the houses... Will speak to the designer!

Its up to Matakishi if it goes on his site... But I hope so!  :D

Much more to come soon...

"Escape from Mangapore - Part 2 of the Downlode Chronicles"

After which it will be back to Downlode proper for the continuing saga...  8)

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2008, 04:38:21 PM »
Great stuff, very effectrive looking table.
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline flytime

• Librarian
    • http://soul-drinker.myblog.de/
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2008, 04:43:54 PM »
WOW thats impressive!

Offline MadMö

• Librarian
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2008, 09:31:35 AM »
Wow! :o
Great table and a wonderful story.