Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:54:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Follow Freeman! - Dragging together resources for a Half Life project  (Read 4318 times)

Offline Achilles

• Mad Scientist
  • Heal them, with fire from above.
    • Guerrilla Miniature Games
Did a quick search here and couldn't find if this had been done before (please link if I'm wrong).

Working on my lovely BV Fallout figs I've been musing on my favourite Post Apocalyptic video game settings... one of my all-time favourites is Half Life.

Half Life 2 really pushed the story of what happened when the portals opened and the world was taken over during the 7 hour war. The Combine and their forces, the Xen aliens (headcrabs of various types, giant Ant Lions, etc). There's so much that could be done to make a great skirmish game. Obvious factions would be the Resistance versus the Combine. Obviously the Xen aliens could be NPCs, Objectives or simply Battlefield Hazards (Headcrabs!).

So as I kill time this week moving house I find myself scrounging the internet brainstorming for bits. Here's what I've come up wiht so far.

Combine Soldiers / Civil Protection Troopers

For Civil Protection troops (The main 'evil police' of City 17) I'm thinking Foundry Street Violence SWAT Team II could provide the bodies...

With these Secret Weapon Gasmask heads...

For the Combine Soldiers I'm thinking the Copplestone Hostage Rescue Squad for bodies...

But I'm stuck on the heads. I can always sculpt them but I'm sure I've seen something with the mono-lens helm. The lefthand ones I can likely do with old Viridian Power Armour plastics.

Also need some inspiration for the Combine Assassin in her sexy white leggings.

Human Resistance

Lots of options here... Copplestone comes to mind first of all...

Or maybe more Street Violence...

Hasslefree will of course work great too...

Now interestingly I can likely make HEV Suits (like Gordon's) no problem. I just need to dig up old VOID Viridian Power Armour which I have a raft of somewhere. It's damn near perfect.

Now to keep looking for other bits!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 01:29:47 AM by Achilles »

All life is an experiment.
The more experiments you make, the better.
To see more painted Toy Soldiers, check out my Blog!

Offline Messyart

• Scientist
  • Repopulating the Wasteland, one corpse at a time.
Re: Follow Freeman! - Dragging together resources for a Half Life project
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 02:02:13 AM »
I'd have suggested the bugs from Defiance Games for conversions into antlions but ... Unsurprisingly their store is down.
The 30-bugs to a box set might also not be too convenient.
Looks like I have 21 still unbuilt..  :`
If you'd like an apocalyptic monster in 28mm, throw me a PM and I'll think it over.

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 02:39:24 AM »
I gave "Half Life 28mm" a search on Google and came up with this blog. Khurasan Miniatures apparently make Headcrab models, but there site is down right now. This is just me giving similar phrases a search, not actually trawling miniatures sites for models which in my own opinion would suit (...its late). I would say give the Fallout miniatures list thread a scour though, as there's plenty of suitable models in there, and to a lesser extent, similar threads in the Post War and Modern tales and Future wars boards.

That blog also threw up this image from Khursan:

Dog also cropped up on Shapeways.

CP Models make a head sprue including Head Crabs according to Beasts of War. This is one attached to another model.

Another from Shapeways a Combine security guard (don't know the scale though).

I lied about offering my own suggestions. Here's one. Offensive Miniatures do a modern police forces/hostage rescue line. The police riot armour may be suitable for Combine forces with some head swaps. The gas masks they wear could work too with a bit of resculpting (though I don't know how exact you want to be about recreating the outfits from the game, so I just went for what I know to be closest here).

* Edit. Though the Copplestone Hostage rescue guys (or any of their other soldiers. They use the same bodies on a load of other models, only with headswaps, differing weapons and occasionally gear) are probably more suitable in terms of the style of armour. Modern police don't wear the futuristic armour that the Combine wear, so going for a fictional model is probably more likely to give you the right look. That said there's a lot of wacky gear in use by riot police around the world, so you never know. The American suits look close to the ones that are worn by the regular police in half life, the soldier gear you'd have to look at military models for I think.

Insert random image of the Peruvian riot gear. ...Wtf are those guys wearing?

Threads on this topic:
http://www.matakishi.com/apps/forums/topics/show/1402418
http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?265023-Need-Minis-for-a-Half-Life-Con-Game
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 02:47:13 AM by Wyrmalla »

Offline Achilles

• Mad Scientist
  • Heal them, with fire from above.
    • Guerrilla Miniature Games
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 02:50:00 AM »
Unbelievably those Khurasan figs are 15mm :(

http://fallout15mm.wordpress.com/2012/05/18/khurasan-arrived/

Dog is 110mm  and made from Sandstone (?!) which puts him in the Way way way too big range. I think that Civil Defense fig is as well.

That SWAT fig and those CP Alines are a find though; great stuff! Thanks!

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 02:54:45 AM »
Ah right, I was just chucking up links of models that seemed related. Actually checking the scale I leave up to the guy buying the things. ^^

CP Models make this lady under the Special Ops line. With a bit of work she could be an assassin (though really any slim female model in a cat suit with thigh high boots would work if you want to sculpt on the armour).

The Head Crabs are listed under Aliens on their site btw.

The Night Terrors range under 28mm on that site or the Creature Swarms may also provide some decent Xen aliens.

Trawling through the 122 pages of the future wars board may turn something up. Admittedly I looked through every page of this board when I first joined this site (though I really should give it all another look again some time).
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 03:01:57 AM by Wyrmalla »

Offline Brummie Thug

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Brummies Wargaming Blog
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 08:24:48 AM »
Crooked Dice do great minions with pistols and batons. Heads are already separate so its just a case of finding one that suits.