Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:40:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Pulp Alley/Inquisitor: The Ragna Rock Pts 1, 2 & 3  (Read 10136 times)

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
Pulp Alley/Inquisitor: The Ragna Rock Pts 1, 2 & 3
« on: April 08, 2014, 03:11:03 PM »
An old gaming buddy spent a big chunk of last weekend in the man-cave playing a three game Pulp Alley campaign with me.  It was exceptionally good fun.

We have been searching for a streamlined, non-fiddly skirmish scale tabletop ruleset that involves some decent decision making and remains fun to play for quite some time.  Based in part on accounts and reports by Maj Guiscard and Dentatus I decided to give Pulp Alley a go.  We were absolutely blown away by the PA ruleset.  All further tabletop skirmish rulesets will have to measure up against Pulp Alley as far as we are concerned.

The Ragna Rock campaign that we played was a linked series of three games, each game being one of the basic scenarios in the book.  Our games were set in our own slightly skewed version of the 40K universe, because despite what has happened to it over the years, we are still fond of it, especially with an old school angle.

The blog post on part one is HERE with a little more info on the game and a few more photos.  Parts 2 and 3 will be serialised over the next few days and I will post here if there is interest.  

If you have any questions or comments or criticisms then fire ahead :)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 09:50:05 PM by cheetor »

Offline Achilles

• Mad Scientist
  • Heal them, with fire from above.
    • Guerrilla Miniature Games
Re: Pulp Alley/Inquisitor: The Ragna Rock Pt 1
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 09:13:24 PM »
Love it! Makes me want to paint my lead pile of old RT figs every time I see yours all done up. :)

All life is an experiment.
The more experiments you make, the better.
To see more painted Toy Soldiers, check out my Blog!

Offline magokiron

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 12:35:26 AM »
Haven't clicked the link to your blog yet, but so far the minis and scenery looks TERRIFIC!

I really liked the orks, and the space bar, and...  :-*

Clicking the link right now, and waiting for the next installements.

Thanks for sharing.
I know you're too old to play with toy soldiers. So give them to me... NOW!

Offline blacksoilbill

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 12:56:07 AM »
A very fun looking game. I laughed at the plot point in the minefield.

Happy to see that Pulp Alley fits the bill for your Inq needs. I play it for Pulp all the time and am just thinking about returning to an Inquisitor project that's been on the backburner.

Offline Achilles

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 01:10:45 AM »
Got me to drop $20 on Pulp Alley and the Expansion. They should give you a commission! :D

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 01:13:55 AM »
Very cool, I'm designing a little 40K band with Pulp Alley in mind as well. You beat me to it :)
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Maj Guiscard

• Librarian
    • The Governor General of Sector Six
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2014, 02:10:34 AM »
Very nicely done.  I noticed your colorful jungle in the background on those pics.

I can't wait for part 2.

Offline Rhelyk

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2014, 04:52:33 AM »
Yeah, Pulp Alley is fantastic, my group just started playing it after I heard a few glowing recommendations on this forum as well.

Your stuff looks great, BTW. I really dig your painting style, its so nice to see good looking amries face off on top of a good looking table with good looking terrain!

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2014, 01:54:22 PM »
Love it! Makes me want to paint my lead pile of old RT figs every time I see yours all done up. :)

Thanks very much Achilles.  I will happily paint them if you want to give them to me ;)

Haven't clicked the link to your blog yet, but so far the minis and scenery looks TERRIFIC!

I really liked the orks, and the space bar, and...  :-*

Clicking the link right now, and waiting for the next installements.

Thanks.  The second installment should be ready over the next day or two, with the third and final scenario posted by early next week at a guess.

A very fun looking game. I laughed at the plot point in the minefield.

That was due to my opponent PB pushing the envelope a bit, checking exactly how difficult he could make it.  He isnt in a rush to do it again :)

Happy to see that Pulp Alley fits the bill for your Inq needs. I play it for Pulp all the time and am just thinking about returning to an Inquisitor project that's been on the backburner.

40K is a pulp setting.  Pulp Alley is ideal for representing those sort of stories and precisely generic enough to feel exactly like it should, while still playing fast and in an involving way.  Im probably in the honeymoon stage at the moment as I feel like gushing about it, but it really is the closest that I have found to the sort of game that my group and I want.

Is your Inquisitor project in 28mm or 54mm?

Got me to drop $20 on Pulp Alley and the Expansion. They should give you a commission! :D

Im just an enthusiastic fan rather than a shill or anything.  When the books are that cheap I wouldnt really expect a handout anyway.  I am pleased to see another purchase though as that makes the production of more PA material more likely.

Very cool, I'm designing a little 40K band with Pulp Alley in mind as well. You beat me to it :)

I am certain that whatever you come up with will be worth the wait Dr M.  Can you give a hint of the sort of types that might be included in it, or is it shrouded in LPL secrecy?

Very nicely done.  I noticed your colorful jungle in the background on those pics.

A simple but fun bit of foreshadowing on my part Maj.  One of the goals of that gaming session was to give my new jungle terrain set a run out, so it was shown encroaching on the shanty town in the first game.

Yeah, Pulp Alley is fantastic, my group just started playing it after I heard a few glowing recommendations on this forum as well.

Your stuff looks great, BTW. I really dig your painting style, its so nice to see good looking amries face off on top of a good looking table with good looking terrain!

Thank you Rhelyk.  My painting has a sort of gaudy, cartoony quality I think, which tends to suit this sort of subject matter better than something historical for example.  I dont paint anything other than pulpy sci-fi really: Im a card carrying member of the Star Wars generation in that respect ;)

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2014, 01:58:27 PM »
 :o :o

Stunning, mate, just stunning!
 :-* :-*

That bar is amazing.
Consider that idea well and truly nicked.
 8) :D 8)

Offline Achilles

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2014, 02:01:21 PM »
Thanks very much Achilles.  I will happily paint them if you want to give them to me ;)

Nah, but I may steal your checklist. ;)

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2014, 02:01:33 PM »
I am certain that whatever you come up with will be worth the wait Dr M.  Can you give a hint of the sort of types that might be included in it, or is it shrouded in LPL secrecy?

I'm not sure it will make it into an LPL entry (although I have only planned through round 4  :o), but I've done some conversions and acquired the figures for an 'Order Pronatus' group, basically an order of the Sororitas that re-acquire, collect and maintain relics. The leader is sort of a Sister of Battle Indiana Jones :)

I have to say all your RT goodness is helping prod me... I have a bunch of stuff for an alien forest now too ;)

Offline blacksoilbill

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2014, 03:07:43 PM »
Is your Inquisitor project in 28mm or 54mm?

28mm, so I've enjoyed the inspiration from your other threads on here.

Looking at your report again, I agree that one of the strengths of the rules is that you get to use all sorts of non-combatants.

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2014, 08:09:34 PM »
Stunning, mate, just stunning!

Thanks Mason.  The bar isnt much more than a box shape around a countersunk Grendel Cyber Bar set really.  Im not really one for reinventing the wheel if I can avoid it :)

I'm not sure it will make it into an LPL entry (although I have only planned through round 4  :o)

Although entering the LPL for a sense of camaraderie rather than any notion of victory has long appealed, even reading that sentence stresses me out. Im not cut out for that particular brand of pressure.  Good luck with the remaining six  :o  ;)

but I've done some conversions and acquired the figures for an 'Order Pronatus' group, basically an order of the Sororitas that re-acquire, collect and maintain relics. The leader is sort of a Sister of Battle Indiana Jones :)

I see, some sort of Relic Hunter you could say... *cough* ;)

That sounds like a great idea for a league.  I have the plans and models for a anti-daemon type of skirmish force, with nunjas, priests and Sororitas types.  I even have their acronym name worked out (G.U.I.L.T.), but they are bit far down the list at the moment.  More aliens to do first.

Are you using the old RT sisters for your league?  Or will you be adding other models too?

I have to say all your RT goodness is helping prod me... I have a bunch of stuff for an alien forest now too ;)

Having seen your tutorials on making Terran forests I will have to take solace in the fact that your alien forest will look more plausible than mine and therefore be a less accurate representation of the shabby Star Trek-esque source material ;) :D

I really cant wait to see what you come up with.

28mm, so I've enjoyed the inspiration from your other threads on here.

Cool. Its such an open ended yet rich vein for fun, bite-sized, heavily themed forces, we could all make them for years and never end up with a duplicate.  I hope that you have some to show soon :)

Looking at your report again, I agree that one of the strengths of the rules is that you get to use all sorts of non-combatants.

Thats a great point actually.  Pulp Alley-meets-Inquisitor gives purpose to all those weird cherubs, living dot matrix printer guys, and other weirdness that I have accumulated over the years.  It also give proper game purpose to news reporters, shoe shine boys and other civilian models in a wider sense. 

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
Re: Pulp Alley/Inquisitor: The Ragna Rock Pts 1 & 2
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2014, 09:04:34 PM »

Having identified the location of the stolen Imperial lander crash site in the first scenario, both sides have ended up in near the wreckage.  Both sides are looking for survivors or clues as to possible survivors whereabouts but most importantly, they are hoping to locate the Ragna Rock.

The blog post is HERE.  Part three to follow over the next couple of days.