Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:42:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686583
  • Total Topics: 118108
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Argonor's CHIVALRY thread.  (Read 17491 times)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Re: Poorer Feudal Knights and other minis?
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2014, 01:37:11 PM »
Ah, thanks, they are quite lovely.

Note made!

No probs  :)

Darrell.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2014, 03:03:16 PM »
Any suggestions for lower grade noble civilians?

The young knight
The young lady
Couple of ladies-in-waiting
Perhaps an older couple (the knight's parents)
Couple of young kids

I am going to center some gaming around the knight's family/keep/village/area of influence, with hunting scenarios, rounding up brigands, going to the tournament (Crossed Lances), participation in the feudal lord's border skirmishes with neighbouring lords, etc.

I am thinking of a 'tax/upkeep system' where, for instance, peasant families and fields add to the number of armed retainers that can be kept by the knight - thus, I have to build up the hamlet and the surroundings of the keep in order to paint retainers, so I won't bog myself down with plans of painting scores of minis.

I'll try to get other players to adhere to a similar system, so that the richer knights/nobles (those with more assets) will be the ones with the most retainers. Ambitious? Who, me?  lol
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2014, 03:48:10 PM »
Hello Argonor

This is not sugestions for your civilians but for small warbands.
Knight, Man-at-arms, sergeants, crossbowmen, etc.
Its worthy to spend some time on this web site. :)
It gives some good ideas.

http://perrysheroes.free.fr/

Cheers

Rumacara

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2014, 04:07:20 PM »
Irregular miniatures do all of these, cheaply too, but I would be wary of buying things from them "sight unseen" - the quality of the castings seems to vary hugely.

Would you say their quality seems to be... irregular?

Okay, I'm just leaving now  lol

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2014, 04:11:47 PM »
Hello Argonor

This is not sugestions for your civilians but for small warbands.
Knight, Man-at-arms, sergeants, crossbowmen, etc.
Its worthy to spend some time on this web site. :)
It gives some good ideas.

http://perrysheroes.free.fr/

Cheers

Rumacara

Thanks, I think I've come across the site before, but it's a useful resource!

I think I'll add it to my links list...

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2014, 04:25:05 PM »
On that site you can also find a free set of rules for small bands.
They are very nice and based on the Legends of The Old West.

Cheers

Rumacara

Offline Mitch K

• Mastermind
  • The Horror! The Horror!
    • Mitch's Wargaming and Modelmaking
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2014, 05:39:26 PM »
Would you say their quality seems to be... irregular?

Okay, I'm just leaving now  lol

I saw that awful pun myself, and deliberately avoided it.

But yeah, you might have a point  lol
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe, hammer to fit, paint to match!

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
    • http://modhails-meanderings.blogspot.com/
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2014, 07:06:52 PM »
First off, I like the scope and approach to your project! It sounds similar, but more thought out and ambitious, to what I'm planning to do with some form of chivalrous fantasy project. I'll be keeping tabs on this, for inspiration....

Any suggestions for lower grade noble civilians?

The young knight
The young lady
Couple of ladies-in-waiting
Perhaps an older couple (the knight's parents)
Couple of young kids
As far as the mini's you are seeking, they're not exactly low-budget (but absolutely worth it!) but have you looked at hasslefree? They seem to have a fair bit of that list...
The kids: http://www.hfminis.co.uk/shop?product=medieval-kids~hfh044&category=miniatures~juveniles and http://www.hfminis.co.uk/shop?product=village-kiddies~hfv008&category=miniatures~juveniles
The young lady (a bit on the feisty side, perhaps): http://www.hfminis.co.uk/shop?product=alicia~hfh060&category=miniatures~fantasy-humans
Lady-in-waiting/damsel in distress: http://www.hfminis.co.uk/shop?product=miranda~hfh030&category=miniatures~fantasy-humans
And the Fantasy villagers should provide you with an elderly couple(though she is a bit on the modern side...) as well as the always vital minstrel and village idiot: http://www.hfminis.co.uk/shop?category=miniatures~fantasy-villagers

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2014, 07:59:23 PM »
 :-*

Those Hasslefree kids will be an absolute MUST ("Gwendolyne! In Heaven's Name, Stop shooting arrows at your brothers!!"). I can feel the inspiration for scenarios build around those kids coming on....

I'm not sure about Alicia, but Miranda I can see as the young wife of the knight, and some of the villagers should be useful - also as spectators for Crossed Lances!

Really nice pointer!

And if my feverish rantings can be an inspiration, by all means, don't hesitate sharing thoughts, ideas, and questions for discussion, for mutual benefit!

Now I need to find some unarmoured models for the knight.

• Standing
  • Riding
  • Hunting (foot and mounted) - The boar hunt could make for a great gaming scenario with the right planning....

I THINK I've seen some models of a Norman hunting party at some point, but at the time I did not see any use for it...  ::)

Oh, and I've labelled the project 'Chivalry' and have begun recording my plans on my blog, too.

If this keeps unfolding at this pace, I'll have a lot planned, when my rulebooks and plastics arrive! And my fingers itch to start assembling some minis! And it's actually the first time since very long that I've felt like scratchbuilding some stuff - and probably being able to involve the kids in the building process, may have something to do with that...  :)

This is what I think I'll be able to do this year (I have plenty of other projects to see to, you see  ;) ):

Phase 1:
Goal 1: Acquire rules and minis. Almost check!
Goal 2: Read rules, and construct the necessary equipment/terrain for tournaments.
Goal 3: Construct and paint at least 2 mtd knights with lances to try out jousting rules.
Goal 4: Construct and paint at least 2 mtd knights with hand weapons to try out the mtd close combat rules
Goal 5: Construct and paint at least 2 foot knights with hand weapons to try out the foot close combat rules
Goal 6: Try out archery rules (I already have some painted archers)

Phase 2:
Goal 1: Construct the 'castle'
Goal 2: Acquire minis for the household. Paint them along the way.
Goal 3: Acquire or construct the first peasant hut.
Goal 4: Acquire and paint the first peasant family.
Goal 5: Make pigsti
Goal 6: Acquire and paint livestock

If I complete the list faster than expected, I'll add to it, but let's see about that...

Offline rampantlion

• Scientist
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2014, 11:03:04 PM »
Barony Miniatures also makes several knights with a fair amount of variety available.  They also make a war dog and handler pack, a herald mounted and on foot and a warrior bishop.  The service from Max is always top notch as well. 

Allen

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2014, 08:20:34 AM »
Barony Miniatures also makes several knights with a fair amount of variety available.  They also make a war dog and handler pack, a herald mounted and on foot and a warrior bishop.  The service from Max is always top notch as well. 

Allen

Cool, I'll go check right away. thanks!  :)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2014, 08:33:35 AM »
Are the Barony Miniature 28 or 25 mm? Especially the peasant rabble and the levies could be interesting if they are 28 mm.

And does anyone have experience with Baron Wars: http://www.baronyminiatures.com/Baron-Wars.html ?

Offline rampantlion

• Scientist
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2014, 10:01:32 AM »
They are 28mm.  I have a fair number of them. 

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2014, 10:12:25 AM »
They are 28mm.  I have a fair number of them. 

Check!  :)

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
    • http://modhails-meanderings.blogspot.com/
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2014, 10:40:53 AM »
How would you rate their looks "in the metal", rampantlion? They're a bit early for me, but matching foot and mounted figures are too rare to ignore...

Unarmoured knights are quite hard to find, I've found. Apparently knights tend to spoil quickly unless they're canned.
I know I'll be having some really odd domestic scenes, seeing how I only have my knight in full armour and great helm on. ;D

For hunting parties, you could also look for the old late '90s GW Bretonnian squires. The mounted ones have boar spears (backed up with bows) and the foot ones are all archers, but they're decidedly civilian in look. May a bit late era for your tastes though.
(And they seem to be somewhat subject to that odd form of Ebay Tourettes, where the seller needs to compulsively shout "Vintage OOP RARE" all the time.)

Oh, I'll share.  :D Though it's all just in the collecting and painting cool stuff stage for me at the moment. And like I said, I've got a more fantasy bent on it, so I'll be adding "weird stuff" as I go along as well as intermixing it with my Dungeoneering ideas. Like you I am planning to have adventures revolve around a knight and his associates and holdings.
I have to say,  I really like your idea of linking retinue size to the size of the size and prosperity of the knight's village/demesne! It's a good extra reason to add civilians to your games. I like civilians...
It also gives you the option of having a scenario where the knight is away on some quest or duty, and his wife has to lead the peasants (and maybe a few left behind retainers) in the defense of the village against a mob of roaming bandits.
I'll go check out your blog now, I think.