Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:00:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686488
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Argonor's CHIVALRY thread.  (Read 17490 times)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
Re: Poorer Feudal Knights and other minis?
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2014, 03:04:05 PM »
Not much there, yet, that I haven't spilled here already, but there might be a few other things of interest to you.

The roaming brigands/mercenaries are a great foundation for scenarios, and the theme can be varied with a bear, a pack of very hungry wolves (not realistic, I know), and even monsters, when you allow the fantasy touch.

I'm pretty sure, there must be some medieval nobles in 'civilian gear' out there, not just kings and queens, it'll just take some time to track them down.

Right now I'm just waiting to receive the stuff from a couple of orders (one of them is War Rocket and a handful of small spacecraft that I need to get ready for Attic Attack), then I'll have my hands full (I intend to have some Crossed Lances gear ready for Attic Attack, too) for quite some time.

Just when writing this, I remembered the old Metal Magic range; I think I might be able to find something useful there, Turnkey Miniatures is selling the range now.

Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2014, 03:13:07 PM »
This one might be useable: http://www.turnkeyminiatures.com/Cup-Bearer_p_24.html

- if I don't find another, better solution...

Offline rampantlion

• Scientist
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2014, 04:44:05 PM »
They are chunky, no flash, clean castings.  They have a lot of character (interesting facial expressions, realistic poses, etc...).  I heard someone else say that they are somewhat of a throwback in sculpting style, but I am not sure.  Are you familiar with Scheltrum Miniatures?  If so, they look almost identical in sculpting style and size.  They are about the same size as Black Tree, but a bit thicker.  They mix really well with them though.  I mix them with Old Glory without problem also.   The horses are large, but not as large as Black Tree.  They only have a couple of poses of horses, but the unbarded ones are nice as well with a fair amount of decoration on the horse harness.  Hope that helps a little.

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
    • http://modhails-meanderings.blogspot.com/
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2014, 05:13:02 PM »
Thank you for the review, Rampantlion.

I've recently finished painting my knight's fighting retainers* (except his squire), and got to thinking about his possible civilliany retainers and serfs. So I was reading through this thread again for ideas and manufacturers;
Argonor, somewhere on the first page, Byblos linked to Mirliton's page.
Would those medieval lords work for your knight and lady? They're advertised as 13th century, so they should fit right up your (feudal) alley?

*: See my thread for them, don't want to clutter up/hijack this one...

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2014, 08:12:33 PM »

Argonor, somewhere on the first page, Byblos linked to Mirliton's page.
Would those medieval lords work for your knight and lady? They're advertised as 13th century, so they should fit right up your (feudal) alley?

I somehow missed the 'Accessories' section. Lots of useful stuff, there!

I'm still waiting for my Crossed Lances rules, and the boxes from Fireforge to reach me...  :?

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2014, 08:26:26 PM »
Hi !

Take a look at Mirliton !!!

http://www.mirliton.it/index.php?cName=historical-2528mm-diorama-kits

http://www.mirliton.it/index.php?cName=medieval-accessories

"Tu y trouveras à boire et à manger"  ;)

For the palisades , why not PVC bord , you could find sheets (1 , 2 or 3 mm ) at AntenocityGamesWorkshop or PlastCraftGames !

This was a really good lead! Thanks! As I wrote earlier, the second link eluded me at first.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
Re: Argonor's CHIVALRY thread.
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2014, 08:59:04 PM »
I received my Fireforge order Saturday, and I have begun constructing the first horse. I have other projects brewing, too, though, so it's a bit on and off.

The past week I have been trying to make sense of the Crossed Lances rules, but I must say, they are a HUGE disappointment. They are poorly written, full of contradictions, and contain some totally random mechanics that I simply cannot accept in a game that represents a competition in which skill and endurance meant everything. Thus, I'll have to rework/reinvent them for my own purposes. I'll probably reuse a few things/ideas, but the tourney game I'll play will be very different from the one some of you may have witnessed at salute.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2014, 06:13:07 PM »
I have begun writing my Chivalry rules - beginning with foot combat, and there'll be one mode for skirmishes, and one for single combat/tourney melée.

Each character in the game, typically knights and squires, but it will be up the players how many they want to flesh out, will have a characteristics profile, similar from what you may be familiar with from rpgs, containing both strengths and weaknesses (how to force a player to use weak characteristics is still eluding me, but I'll think of something).

As soon as I have the rules for a full turn sequence, I'll start playtesting.

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2014, 08:05:07 PM »
Hello Argonor

Check also Front Rank for peasants, archers and accessories.
Dont forget Wargames Foundry for some very nice packs of civilians and a pack of a knight arming with peasants/servants helping him.

Cheers

Rui

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2014, 09:40:51 PM »
Hello Argonor

Check also Front Rank for peasants, archers and accessories.
Dont forget Wargames Foundry for some very nice packs of civilians and a pack of a knight arming with peasants/servants helping him.

Cheers

Rui

Thank you, I shall keep those in mind - acquiring minis has been put on hold while I get my rules written - I simply need a fun system that will work for both tourneys and skirmishes, and I think I am on the right track - using some more detailed modifications of the rules for tourneys, where fewer combattants are usually involved, but all (or most) are Player Characters, reserving the simpler, faster version for dealing with lowly commoners.

It's been a while since i last fiddled with rules, and it's the first time I grit my teeth on writng a 28mm ruleset from scratch, but I enjoy the process.  :)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2014, 09:51:35 PM »
Haven't forgotten this, just haven't had time to work on my rules for a while. I'm going to bring my laptop when going away on camping - with no figs and paint in sight, I should be able to get some work done in the evenings!

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2014, 10:00:22 PM »
Haven't forgotten this, just haven't had time to work on my rules for a while. I'm going to bring my laptop when going away on camping - with no figs and paint in sight, I should be able to get some work done in the evenings!

Looking forward to see what you have come up with.
“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2015, 07:55:02 PM »
Damn, this has been lying idle for far too long! I really need to get something done about it  :?

Too many projects, too little time  ::)

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
    • http://modhails-meanderings.blogspot.com/
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2015, 08:14:29 AM »
Nice to see this thread pop up again in my notifications. :)
I hope the break has restored the mojo lost from the rule set mishap?
The approach you are planning, of linking retinue to village size and driving the story from there really intrigues me, I'd love to see more...

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2015, 04:32:17 PM »
To be honest, I don't plan to continune the project right now, I just stumbled on the thread by accident - I am doing a long lost Pulp project for the 'It's Alive! Painting Club' right now, and I am finishing some DreadBall minis and working on a fantasy viking project on the side, but I certainly am returning to this as soon as I can squeeze it in. Don't hold your breath, though, as it might not be until after the summer holidays  lol

The fantasy viking project, on the other hand, should provide some experience to be used for the Chivalry project, as it is centered around some rpg'ing with my daughters, and we shall be building the characters' settlement, and collecting and painting some of the inhabitants - much like planned for this, but with less coherency between models and scenery.