Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 12:31:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689750
  • Total Topics: 118293
  • Online Today: 707
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: A question about Foundry Musketeer and Gripping beast Ranges  (Read 2443 times)

Offline Nevyen

• Scientist
    • 5th Column Wargaming
So the Viking project is about to come to a close and I am very very happy with the progress - the lads are performing well on the table and I have just put in my last (hopefully) order to complete the army and bring it up to HC strength.

So this evening I sat down to look through the Saxon's from foundry that my wife bought me last year and I have to say im not overly happy with them.... there are a good number  poses i can use but i find now that im looking for options to augment and fill in the gaps.

The Musketeer miniatures (MM) range is for early saxon - gripping beast make saxons for the mid period (what I want my vikings to face off against anyway) and then I have the foundry range. I also have some the crusader miniatures range that im mixing in.

Question is the MM unit of Gedriht I think can work for mid saxons - I really like the sculpts and think give them large shields to fit in with the mid period and using the existing foundry and some more gripping beast then I think there really should be no issue.

Thoughts?  I know its early medieval so just about anything goes but it is a chunk of cash to put down and hence opinions would be great.

Thanks in advance

JP

Offline Ragnar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Re: A question about Foundry Musketeer and Gripping beast Ranges
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 10:02:55 PM »
As you probably realise, I have thought long and hard about this subject.  The two most distinctive things on a 28mm miniature are going to be the helmet and the size of the shield, until the later period when the length of the hauberk becomes obvious.

So when you are talking about unarmoured warriors (and IMO they should be the majority) most or all figures from MM, GB, Foundry and OG (yes I went there!) will suit, although like you say, the size of the shield stands out between early and mid period.

For armoured warriors, MM, GB (Mid/Late) and most of the Foundry will suit your purposes.

Or another way to look at it is avoid long hauberks, kite shields and conical helmets.
Gods, monsters and men,
Will die together in the end.

Offline Nevyen

• Scientist
    • 5th Column Wargaming
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 02:29:18 AM »
Hi Ragnar- should of asked you about this yesterday ! :)

OK good so I can split out stuf with a long Hauberk and that ends up being most of  the Conical helms - keep them for  Anglo Danish units for later armies and focus on the others and then .... order more models :)

Awesome :)

Offline Ragnar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 03:21:23 AM »

Offline Nevyen

• Scientist
    • 5th Column Wargaming
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2014, 04:22:07 AM »
:) another 12 months and I have two armies :)  the dream is on its way!!!!!!

Offline Ragnar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2014, 05:12:23 AM »
Show off.