Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:59:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Traveller S Scout  (Read 11329 times)

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
Re: Traveller S Scout
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2014, 01:10:23 PM »
Marvellous! This WIP has probably doubled my interest in traveller.  :D Seeing a floor plan worked out like this is just inspiring. And I like the multi path layout you have made.

Sorry, mostly stuck with 'me too'-itis!  :o

Will say word on the tankage; takes a heck of a lot of space in the old designs, and old Go players know how deceptive in size the outer band can be.  ;)

Uncomfortably thin walls twixt thee and liquid H2...  lol

More, more, more!

Doug

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2014, 01:31:04 PM »
I'm not at all familiar with traveller, although I've heard mention of it many times. But that ship is pretty awesome!

What it reminds me of though, is the original Elite PC game, for which I designed my own ship back in the eighties (only pen and paper though; I never was a codemonkey :D ) and that ship had the same basic shape as your S Class Scout.

But then again; most ships in the Elite universe were wedge-shaped, with a diamond cross-section anyways. Must have had something to do with the cinematic succes of that other wedge-shaped spaceship back when... ;)

Great project at any rate; I'm sure many of us would like to do something similar, but you're doing it! 8)

I'll be watching with interest...
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Online Wachaza

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2014, 02:30:40 PM »
Superb nostalgia trip. Would have loved that when we played traveller every week.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2014, 04:06:49 PM »
elite was trav on the computer
No kidding? Well go figure...  ::)

Offline Damas

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • Re-enactor, modeller, stooge
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2014, 04:24:59 PM »
I am sooo waiting for the next update.  I hope all those little spaces and gaps are filled with appropriately shaped greeblies and there are wires and conduit used. (Never enough conduit and wires in anything, these days.)
"Old gamers don't die, they just smell like that."

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2014, 07:31:36 PM »
Ship from Salute mate. I hope it helps!

Offline Braz

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2014, 01:53:58 PM »
Great Scott! That's going to be an insanely nice model once complete - noticed it was still a WIP and looks great already. Thanks Andy for posting the eye candy. "Helps" he asks, Cripes, am I going to have to retrofit led lighting inside now? :D

@Damas Yes there will lots of little detail greebies and conduits.

Camera battery dead and can't find the charger so no pics now. :(

Offline Archie

• Mad Scientist
    • The Grinning Frog
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2014, 02:07:58 PM »
Braz love the scout. Very tidy model. Would be great to game over I am sure.

Offline gary42

• Mastermind
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2014, 04:57:05 PM »
Totally reminds me of the ship from the original Planet of the Apes!  Awesome!
"They seek him here, they seek him... There he is!"

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2014, 05:21:23 PM »
I'm not at all familiar with traveller, although I've heard mention of it many times. But that ship is pretty awesome!

I've no doubt that others will cry foul, but the scout was always THE Traveller ship to me. Certains, it was the beginner's, and the fluff made it doubly so. It was about the most common Imperial ship design, used for exploration, and older ones were cycled into the private sector both to recoup Imperial expenses AND encourage entrepreneurship. It was the ship the player, after having a dice-generated career, most likely in the Imperial Navy, to buy (on credit) and go forth and adventure.

Of course, cramped, lacking amenities, and terribly shy on useful space, the model you should be desperate to trade up from.  lol

Doug

Offline maxxon

• Mad Scientist
    • Small Cuts
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2014, 05:22:20 AM »
But then again; most ships in the Elite universe were wedge-shaped, with a diamond cross-section anyways. Must have had something to do with the cinematic succes of that other wedge-shaped spaceship back when... ;)

Possibly, but the extremely limited computing power of the home machines of that era was also a factor. That was also why that early flight sim on the speccy had very vulcanesque planes as enemies...

...a triangle has only three lines to draw.

Hmmm... looks like someone has put a 3-D printer to good use:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/aegidian/5248706077/
Small Cuts - a miniatures webzine - www.smallcuts.net

Offline Archie

• Mad Scientist
    • The Grinning Frog
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2014, 09:07:46 PM »
I've no doubt that others will cry foul, but the scout was always THE Traveller ship to me. Certains, it was the beginner's, and the fluff made it doubly so. It was about the most common Imperial ship design, used for exploration, and older ones were cycled into the private sector both to recoup Imperial expenses AND encourage entrepreneurship. It was the ship the player, after having a dice-generated career, most likely in the Imperial Navy, to buy (on credit) and go forth and adventure.

Of course, cramped, lacking amenities, and terribly shy on useful space, the model you should be desperate to trade up from.  lol

Doug

Doug I agree totally. The scout was THE ship. So much fun. Traveller was fun :)

Offline Michka

• Mastermind
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2014, 05:49:48 AM »
Gee Braz, it looks like you have people's attention. In one post with seven photos you've generated three pages of interest. Just wait till you show that ship parked at the landing deck of LV-428.  :D

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2014, 04:07:46 PM »
just for the record the new mongoose trav is really really great. I think its the only version that works perfectly. (I have played every version too except the new t5 which from all accounts is a mess.)
Turns out I got my hands on the base book in a bundle some time ago, the PDF's normaly are pretty expansive. Looking trough it now, it looks simple ish but in a good way. In a hey, I can run this from the get go way.

Which brings me to the next idea. How do people feel about doing a play by post traveller 4th game?
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2014, 09:14:01 PM »
Did a double check, what I have is the mongoose one. I'm a bit new to traveller.  :D lol

Well, good to know the version I happen to have is considered the best one?  :D Actually now that I think about it is there a hammers slammers book for this version? Now that I am getting more into traveller I'm curious about that setting as well.