Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:31:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686622
  • Total Topics: 118114
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Napoleonic science fiction?  (Read 7094 times)

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
Re: Napoleonic science fiction?
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2014, 12:14:12 PM »
This blog unfortunately never took off: Napoleon on Mars.

The last picture of the Little Corporal is worth the stop alone!  lol

Doug

Offline 3 fingers

• Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2014, 09:39:11 AM »
Beginning to wonder if I should used Sudan era troops ? But might use them as veterans or scouts.
Will try an squeeze some camel corps in ,it certainly won't be historically accurate that's for sure  lol

Offline abdul666lw

• Scientist
    • Lacepulp & High Adventure (board)
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2014, 08:15:04 PM »
Bonaparte's French troops in Egypt would look 'exotic' enough for a Martian setting:

And they included a camel corps...

As for Martian Sepoys Alternative Armies have some pleasant Napoleonic Elves:

Offline 3 fingers

• Mastermind
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2014, 08:19:55 PM »
Oh wow thanks thats inspiration, I have some flintloque elves in loft so they will be my tame natives :).

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2014, 08:48:04 PM »
... I have some flintloque elves in loft so they will be my tame natives :).

Now THAT'S worth a facepalm! Brill!

Doug

Offline 3 fingers

• Mastermind
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2014, 09:46:43 PM »
Eh i didnt mean it to come across that way , i was thinking of getting some elf ladies to use as civilian camp followers that have adopted human dress.

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2014, 04:03:11 PM »
Eh i didnt mean it to come across that way , i was thinking of getting some elf ladies to use as civilian camp followers that have adopted human dress.

Sorry, 'facepalm' as in 'why didn't I think of that?!?'

I thought you might be using some of the Flintloque French as 'native auxiliaries'. Either way, 'Brill!' stands!

Doug

Offline abdul666lw

• Scientist
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2014, 04:27:42 PM »
'Native female camp followers'? Soooo French! Soon after landing in Algeria the French army created its first official Bordels Militaires de Campagne (Field Military Brothels) there -for hygiene sake, and because soldiers on leave roaming isolate dor in small groups in 'hot' alleys tend to be slaughtered. The HQ of the Foreign Legion contracted the elders of the Ouled Naïl, a tribal group still practicing sacred prostitution of Punic origin. Later BMC were alloted to all French oversea troops. They were officially disbanded when the Legion left Algeria, though the Legion regiment in Djibouti no doubt stilll has its own; when the 2 REP jump on Kolwezi it was rumored to still have its BMC in Corsica under the name of 'sociocultural home'! The girls' days of (unsung) glory came in Indochina, where they travelled together with the chaplain, the paychest and the mail in the most protected truck of the monthly convoy provisioning isolated posts. Their steadfastness during ambushes did as much as the chaplains' own to support the morale of the troops -but only chaplains were presented with medals for their attitude during ambushes. In Dien Bien Phu they turned to devoted auxiliary nurses, but official accounts mention only Geneviève de Galard, the French Air Force in-flight nurse standed in the fortified camp. Lot of potential scenarios.

Historically BMC were created several decades after the Napoleonic times, but in a SF context... Science Fiction was initially known in French as Anticipation Scientifique ;)

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2014, 12:45:48 PM »
... Science Fiction was initially known in French as Anticipation Scientifique ;)

Whereas, one of it's first names in English was 'scientific romance', somehow apropos of your description as well...  ;)

I love English being viewed as a language "... about as pure as a cribhouse whore" which "...has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."  When I heard the academy decide that French must be preserved from the word 'software' by creating 'logiciel', I could only think 'We must have it!'

My campaign fell on deaf ears.  :'(

Camp followers were hardly unique to the French, but I do admire the realization of importance and the systematic approach! Of course, I'm also reminded of the MASH episode where, surreptitiously, Yank doctors treated limey foot blisters while Brit doctors treated 'merican diseases of passion. Very different taboos...

First to invent 'canning', and now this. Obviously, the French commanders understood an army lives on its stomach, AND some other parts as well.  lol

3 fingers, do keep this thread going! Now, where did I put that old box of Flintloque...

Doug

Offline 3 fingers

• Mastermind
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2014, 07:20:07 PM »
Im easily distracted  lol , and  with kids and car mot repairs ,we had all better keep it going, ;)

Offline Stepman3

• Scientist
    • http://stepman3.blogspot.com/
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2014, 02:44:51 AM »
The Ethen Cage novels, while not really "Sci Fi" are a good read and can provide some good inspiration...

Offline 3 fingers

• Mastermind
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 08:32:10 PM by 3 fingers »

Offline abdul666lw

• Scientist
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2014, 09:01:08 AM »
I just remembered the (dead or at least on standing, seemingly) AB One Games 'Napoleon and the Armies of Mars' project

discussed here and on TMP almost 2 years ago.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 09:08:49 AM by abdul666lw »