Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 11:06:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Nick at the Back of Beyond - Update 23/05/14, more Bosheviks  (Read 6319 times)

Offline Warboss Nick

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
Nick at the Back of Beyond - Update 23/05/14, more Bosheviks
« on: April 26, 2014, 02:58:20 PM »
Thanks again for everyone who helped me with my questions before starting this projekt back in December. I got myself a couple of Copplestone bolsheviks for Christmas to serve as a small side project. Lenin would certainly not approve of the occasion, but since he gets more forces to fight capitalism I guess the end justifies the means.

The idea is a skirmish project with only a couple of miniatures, but they are really nice. So who knows. In any event I plan to get some adventurers and bandits as opponents and build some terrain. I've got a Perry farmhouse that has been sitting on the shelve for way too long, that should work well from the AWI all the way to the RCW. I also couldn't resist a Warlord ruined farmhouse in the local shop a couple of weeks ago, and you can never have enough woods... So much for a little project that's meant to be painted "in between" for a change inbetween loads of ancient egyptians.

The first five infantry were painted back in January/February and still have unfinished bases. However a Maxim, some officers/commissars and more boots on the ground are currently in the works. The green of the uniforms might not be historically correct, but who's gonna know in a far of unknown newly founded soviet republic somewhere between Moscow and the Pacific? These Copplestone miniatures are a treat to paint. I hope it shows that I take my time with them unlike my speedpainted egyptians.

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 05:43:11 PM by Warboss Nick »

Offline marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
Re: Nick at the Back of Beyond - Bosheviks and more
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 01:32:00 AM »
Enjoyed, nice start!
LB
Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.

Offline Warboss Nick

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
Re: Nick at the Back of Beyond - Bosheviks and more
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 06:11:46 PM »
First update, unfortunately with WIP-shots only. I guess I spent too much time on the interior of the Perry farmhouse. As compensation the first pictures gives a clue as to the next reinforcements waiting to get painted.

First four more soldiers, a Maxim machine gun with three crew, a lewis gunner, a standard bearer and a comrade commissar who will provide much needed political guidance. They are waiting for the final highlight on the uniforms, basing and of course a proper revolutionary flag:

I first put the Perry farmhouse except for the roof. The pieces fitted much better than I had expected from some of the reviews. I had no problems what so ever with construction. There is only a small gap between roof and walls which should not be recognizable on the tabletop. And even that would not be there had I glued the roof to the walls. But since I wanted the house to be "playable" I decided against that. Instead I glued a barr from the casting frame right under the gable. As you can see on the picture below I also used a bit of the frame to fix the poles on the veranda to the house to keep them from breaking off (that shouldn't be necessary if you glue the roof to the house).

Unfortunately I realised too late that I should have modelled the fireplace inside. That would probably have been a lot easier than doing it after the house was completed. I also would have been able to work with putty in order to achieve a brickwork look. That way I got lazy and decided, that the fireplace had been plastered. The table and the shelf are from plastic (left overs from cutting a Renedra chariot base to size and more casting frame). Balsa would of course looked better, but wouldn't have been as solid without a base under the house. Maybe next time...

Comrade commissar is taking a tour of the farmhouse, probably already thinking about ways to commandeer it for the revolutionary cause:

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
Love 'em! These fellows look great!

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
Looking really good!

Offline Hitman

• Scatterbrained Genius
Absolutely stunning!!! Amazing and very cool looking figures and terrain!!! They look like they would be really awesome on the game table. Thanks for sharing!!!!
Regards,
Hitman
 8)
Victory is guaranteed to the last man standing, but always remember those whom you stepped on to get there!!

Offline Warboss Nick

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
Time for the next update, this time with fully painted, based and flocked figures. The flag gave me particular pains. I did not use my first try, and while I'm not completely satisfied with the second I'll keep it. I'm still unsure how to name the commissar and the standard bearer. So far I haven't come up with anything better than Popov Gandovsk...

The maxim is one of my favourites even though it might never see the field in T&T:

And the whole bunch painted so far:

The next troopers and command figures are already under way as well as the first vehicle. Since I'm running out of figures I now have to plan my next order, too. I was thinking about more standard bearers, officers, three cavalry with lances as scouts, artillery and 10 infantry with great coats. I'm also very tempted by the Lancaster 6x4 even though the RCW would probably be a bit too early for it. Any comments and advice on this as well as the painting are welcome as always!

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Nick at the Back of Beyond - Update 23/05/14, more Bosheviks
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2014, 09:50:28 PM »
Nice figures.

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2014, 06:53:28 AM »
Very nice, I especially like the hand-painted flag, that turned out beautifully.

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2014, 07:15:31 AM »
Looking good chap
"Ho, ho, ho! Well, if it isn't fat stinking billy goat Billy Boy in poison! How art thou, thou globby bottle of cheap, stinking chip oil? Come and get one in the yarbles, if ya have any yarbles, you eunuch jelly thou!"

Offline Phil Robinson

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://newsfromthefront-phil.blogspot.com/
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2014, 10:16:33 AM »
Excellent start, nice work on the flag.

Offline marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2014, 10:32:32 PM »
I agree that the painting on the Maxim gun team is particularly good.
LB

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2014, 10:35:00 PM »
Very nice brushwork, sir.
 :-* :-*

And hats off to work that is going into the farmhouse interior.
 8)