Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:15:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Captain Blood's Twilight of Britannia... More Arthurians! (P.26)  (Read 80668 times)

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
They are nice, I had the original range but sold all my dark ages armies a while ago but these coupled with your eye candy and a fellow gamer bringing out Sword and Spear at the club had me trawling the web again. I have even dug out my copy of the winter king to get in the mood  ;D

I will likely get some footsore to fill out units but have around 100+ to paint on their way :o trying to suss out which LBM transfers to go for as the shields are a real mix of oval, and large and small round shields, most without steel rims so could be trial and error think I may wait until the minis are in my hand. :D

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Karl, there are basically three shield types - the large, oval, Late Roman scuta; the large, round early Saxon shield; and a small, round Saxon 'buckler'.
The round shield is the same exact item supplied for both Arthurians and Saxons (or at least it is with Gripping Beast and Footsore. I'd be surprised if it wasn't for Saxon Miniatures too).

LBMS does glorious transfers for all three types, and these are scaled to exact size across all the main manufacturers - including Saxon Miniatures (e.g. http://www.littlebigmenstudios.com/product-category/28mm-transfers/saxon-miniatures/arthurian-saxon-miniatures/)
The transfers come with a hole for the shield boss pre-punched, so you don't need to worry about that.

I just bought a selection of Footsore-sized transfer packs for the three different shield sizes, and intermixed them. They're all extremely well done.

(Edit: In fact, rather annoyingly, I notice he makes an additional pack of very nice mixed oval and round Arthurian shield decals which are available scaled for Saxon Miniatures, but not for Footsore for some reason...  >:()

The main issue I've found is that occasionally it's tricky to actually separate the transfer from the plastic film sheet once you've cut out the individual transfer. I have ruined several trying to get the sticky plastic film off the transfer and its backing paper.
My advice is to peel the plastic film right off the ENTIRE sheet of transfers once you're ready to start applying a few. Then LIGHTLY replace the plastic film before cutting out individual decals for application.
The other very definite problem is that the decals do actually shrink slightly within a few weeks of application. So if you've used paint to cunningly blend in the edges of the transfer with the shield rim, you will find a tiny white line appears right around the transfer a few weeks later. Which then needs to be retouched. After that, it seems to stabilise. Annoying, but not the end of the world...
The artwork on the transfers really is wonderful and brings these figures to life.

As you can see, on my figures I have not gone for steel shield rims. I've assumed that the shields are covered in stretched, painted fabric, and therefore extended the colours / patterns in each transfer, right over the shield rim. Weathering also covers up a multitude of sins  ;)

Cheers.

Richard
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 09:26:28 AM by Captain Blood »

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
Fantastic feedback Richard, I missed the size reference first read through. Off for a shifty and having taken n board the fiddly nature of the transfer will take care  :D

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
A goodly mix has been ordered  :D

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
A goodly mix has been ordered  :D

Hurray!  :D

Offline Axebreaker

• Mastermind
If this thread doesn't inspire people to collect the Arthurian period then nothing will! :o

Christopher

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
Footsore order arrived this morning itching to get started but must go out  ;D cracking minis too

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Good luck Karl. They are lovely figures to paint.
Speaking of which...

Here's the round up of my Arthurian/Romano-British from the LPL...

My round 9 entry was 'Ad Coit Celidon' - 'In Celidon Forest' (being one of the legendary 12 Battles of Arthur)

The figure of Arthur himself has been shown before, earlier in this thread...

The other six figures to the foreground were all newly painted for the LPL however. Here in a bit more detail...
The shield decals are LBMS as before, but with a considerable amount of overpainting and weathering to blend in the shield rims with the transfer on the shield face...

The foot figures painted for the LPL all together...

This also brings to 12, my 'Equites Britanniarum' - and I have 3 more on the painting table right now.
I am just trying to resist buying a few of the spectacular looking new Saxon Miniatures Arthurian Knights... That would probably give me way too many cavalry for Saga...  ::)

Anyway, here are the horse-boys so far...

And the whole Arthurian-Romano-British-Celtic collective so far...

Think I'm nearly there in terms of assembling the requisite force for Saga.
Just need to decide on some suitable skirmishers / bowmen. I'm not greatly taken with the bow-armed options from Footsore.
Wondering whether I can get away with conscripting some Pictish skirmish types...

Offline Phil Robinson

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://newsfromthefront-phil.blogspot.com/
Super duper stuff, splendid photography too I may add.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
Stunning Richard, just finishing off my first 10 Romans, workman like skill compared to yours, but you give me inspiration :D :-*

Offline Romark

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
The ensemble looks great Richard,shields look terrific too,been enjoying the drip feed of these minis In the current Lpl.
Cheers
Keith.

Offline rumacara

• Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!

Offline Axebreaker

• Mastermind
Epic!!!! :o

Christopher

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
Epic!!!! :o

Yep...or ''Kin Epic!'
Love 'em all, they look bloody amazing.
 :-* :-*

Offline Overlord

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Top Geezer
    • The Sweeney
Brilliant stuff Richard. 8) :-*

Beautifully painted miniatures shown off to maximum effect by great photography.
2024 Lead Tally: Acq: 013 Ptd: 055  Total: +042
2023 Lead Tally: Acq: 560 Ptd: 056  Total: -504
2009-22 Tally:  Acq: 3293 Ptd: 905  Total: -2388