Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:02:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686663
  • Total Topics: 118120
  • Online Today: 815
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Captain Blood's Twilight of Britannia... More Arthurians! (P.26)  (Read 80667 times)

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
Very nice. I'm impressed at how crisp and contrasty you manage to keep the chain mail. :)
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
Very nice. I'm impressed at how crisp and contrasty you manage to keep the chain mail. :)

Me too!
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
You have really got your painting hat on this weather. Some more cracking figures. Have you tried the game yet?
What's it like?

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Saga?
Yes, had a couple of games courtesy of Eric the Shed.
I really like it.
The basic game mechanics are simple, but there's a lot of flavour, intrigue and tactical variety provided by the special abilities customised to the various Dark Age nations. Plus the fact that you can only do so many things in one turn - not everything at once. Which introduces a great degree of tension into the game. Working out how to get the best out of these two factors is quite a learning curve, but I'm sure after a few more games I'll have mastered it to a reasonable level... Possibly  :)

Offline Jeff965

• Scatterbrained Genius
Beautiful work Richard, are we likely to see photographs of these in action?

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
You will once I've got 37 of them done - which is the required minimum force size for a medium scale Saga game  :)

Give me a few more weeks...  :)

Offline Jeff965

• Scatterbrained Genius
Excellent I look forward to it.

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
I'd missed this thread until now as like Plynkes I misunderstood ' Captain Blood's Twilight' for something else, though unlike Plynkes I thought it was some sort of retirement thing. He's far too young for that, I thought!  ;)

Lovely colours aside, do you wet blend to get that lovely smoothness? I struggle to get the sort of depth your painting does, though that may be because you are very, very good and I am not!

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
:) don't do yourself down Steve. It's just technique and practice.

Yes, I do tend to wet blend within the highlight layers, although not always. The real secret to smooth transitions is building up the highlights using several thin layers of paint rather than a couple of layers straight from the pot.

The other secret is patience. It takes a long time to apply several layers of paint! So you need to be resigned to the fact that you're only going to turn out a few figures at a time, not 20-strong units finished after a couple of painting sessions.

Offline Mithridates1

• Librarian
Superb job on these guys.  I do like the work you have done on these Musketeers.  And the advice is very good as well - patience!   I keep thinking the same and doing the opposite.......

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
Thanks Richard! Practice and actually building up a bit of momentum with painting is my issue as it is very stop-start (partly work, mainly small children). It's good to have something to aim for though!

Cheers

Offline nikko

• Scientist
    • les figurines du Nikko
Hello,
impressive painting on excellent Musketeer miniatures !!
Nikko

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
Lovely additions, Richard, I especially like the geoguth , very dynamic figure and kind of dynamic painting, looks just great. And I noticed you are finally painting eyes  ;)  Great performance, can't wait to see all the 37 guys.

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Excellent as always.  I am thinking of investing in these models myself to replace the rather lack lustre Gripping Beast Saxons that form my current SAGA warband.

Hadn't noticed the eyes until the Prof pointed it out.  But only one figure or is my eyesight failing me?

Offline Bugsda

• Scatterbrained Genius
:-*

Some of those colour choices will have Chris calling them camp, though, I reckon.
 ;)

They're only camp if they beat me in a comp, otherwise they're theatrical excellence.  lol

:-* Theatrically excellent work Richard.  :D
Well I've lead an evil life, so they say, but I'll outrun the Devil on judgement day.