Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 10:24:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Argonor's previously limited LotR project(s)  (Read 48113 times)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
Argonor's previously limited LotR project(s)
« on: April 29, 2014, 11:32:13 PM »
So, I've embarked on yet another journey into the dark, another goal to pursue.

And why not? Wargamers cannot die as long as they have projects to finish, and miniatures to paint  ;)

jscottbowman's AARs and blog made me want to pick up on painting some of my abundant collection of LotR minis, and going through my cardboard boxes in the garage attic, I came across my Mines of Moria box set.

With this little book in hand

I decided to get some stuff done for the 4 small scenarios therein.

Scenarios 1-3 require a board of 28 cm x 42 cm, and scenario 4 one of 42 cm x 56 cm. As I can see no practical reason for the odd numbers whatsoever, I rounded them off to 30x40, and 40x60.

I had some chipboard leftovers from other boards, and decided to make 2 30x40 pieces, as they combine into the larger board needed for scenario 4, and allow for more versatile uses.

After cutting the boards, they were covered in unthinned PVA glue and sand:

The day after, I sealed the sand with thinned down PVA to which I added a tiny bit of dishwashing liquid:

And today I basecoated the sealed boards with a colour mixed to resemble Vallejo Model Colour German Grey:

If everything goes to plan I'll drybrush the boards with a grey resembling Codex grey tomorrow afternoon.

I shall also need a painted full Fellowship, one painted Cave troll (already have that one, check!), and 24 painted Moria Goblins (8 shield, 8 bow, 8 spear), which I'll probably just about have when I receive the rather big lot (containing painted groups of Goblins, Rohan, and Uruk-Hai) I bought at the bazaar the other day...  ::)

The plastic terrain from the boxed set has been sitting untouched in assembled and primed state for a couple of years, but now I'll have to get it done, step by step, starting with the big door and the 4 pillars.

Whereas I have a prepped and primed metal Fellowship, I'll use the plastic models from the Minies of Moria set.

Two reasons:
1: I'll do the bases on these to match the Moria boards (my painted Moria Goblins already have such bases), and I want to do outdoor bases on the 'main' Fellowship set.
2: I'll need to practise my natural pallettes, and what better way to do it other than on some slightly lower quality minis?

I shall post some pics and comments here along the way, but detailed descriptions like the above will be confined to my blog from now on.

I do expect to have some progress every day, but real life may intervene...
« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 04:50:01 PM by Argonor »
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Argonor's limited (for now) LotR project.
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 12:09:45 AM »
Good luck my friend. Re enforcements are on the way :D

Offline Michka

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 07:03:30 AM »
This looks like a great project. I think I used the columns out of that box set only once. You have inspired me to dig into it again. I look forward to seeing your progress.

Offline affun

• Mad Scientist
    • North of Nowhere [Under construction]
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 10:39:47 AM »
This looks interesting. The LoTR SBG is a pretty great rulessystem. I'll be watching this space.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 08:12:27 PM »
Good luck my friend. Re enforcements are on the way :D

They'll swell the ranks of my Moria Goblins (which I'll post here later)!

This looks like a great project. I think I used the columns out of that box set only once. You have inspired me to dig into it again. I look forward to seeing your progress.

It's a domino effect!  lol

This looks interesting. The LoTR SBG is a pretty great rulessystem. I'll be watching this space.

By all means, do! When the boards are completed, I'll turn my attention to the terrain pieces.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 08:38:40 PM »
Today's progress:

Overdid the drybrush here and there, and had a small accident with a W&N bottle of white acrylic, so I repainted the base colour in a few spots. Tomorrow I'll go over them with the drybrush colour once more...

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 10:06:11 PM »
Looking good!

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2014, 08:50:10 PM »
Actually I think the areas without the dry-brush give a good effect - it breaks up the ground area and looks, to me, more realistic.
Little Odo's Grand Days Out
http://littleodo.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2014, 09:32:55 PM »
Actually I think the areas without the dry-brush give a good effect - it breaks up the ground area and looks, to me, more realistic.

They'll probably look a bit different than the surrounding area even when drybrushed, that's the nature of painting darker colours on top of lighter ones.

No progress today, as I received a ruleset (War Rocket) in the mail that had to be read (and doing that, I collapsed from fatigue on the couch, sleeping just about 2 hs away).

With the rules came some models that I have to move forward in the queue, as I want them ready for my Attic Attack at the end of the month, but I intend to finish the boards before pausing.

I have to work until noon tomorrow, then I have 9 days off, and I expect to get the little spaceships done rather quickly, so I can return to this, and get some terrain ready.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2014, 10:53:11 PM »
Not really for this project, but I'll post it here, for now.

There was a sale on at the almost local games shop so...  ::)

Some of the reasons behind this purchase will be revealed later!

Offline Quendil

• Mastermind
    • Quendil's World
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2014, 11:37:30 PM »
Looking good so far.
New minis for a new project?

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2014, 11:48:06 PM »
Looking good so far.
New minis for a new project?

Actually, both yes and no.

New project in so far that I'm using LotR minis for SAGA proxies (played my first game past Monday, AAR to follow on my blog with teaser here), and I need some more x-bows to exploit the Norman army list (I think I have 6 or so metal models, so one pack would have done the trick, but the deal was 3 for the price of 2, so...).

Old project in that I saw some AotD in the LPL painted up as corporeal undeads, and I liked that concept so much that I think I'll do the same and multi-purpose use them for, among other things. my Pike & Shot and Zombies project.

Multi-purpose really being the key word in most of my gaming related activities these days  ;)

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2014, 06:29:55 PM »
More LotR! Yeah, go for it. I'm watching and am happy.  :)
Things look good so far. Maybe a close-up or two of the miniatures? That troll looks especially impressive.
Roky Erickson flies my spaceship!

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2014, 06:35:11 PM »
Uhm dee dum...

Let's see where you get!  lol

I have to warn you - there's nothing limited about LOTR:
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 06:41:41 PM by Dr. The Viking »
My Empire - where everything I ever did is collected:

http://www.c0wabunga.com

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2014, 06:56:46 PM »
More LotR! Yeah, go for it. I'm watching and am happy.  :)
Things look good so far. Maybe a close-up or two of the miniatures? That troll looks especially impressive.

OK, will do tomorrow (or later today).  :)

Uhm dee dum...

Let's see where you get!  lol

I have, by now, a lot of projects nearing completion, or at least reaching a playable stage. I am yet to post a full 6 (actually 6 vs 7, miscalculated one warband) pts SAGA AAR with fully painted LotR minis, I am a finger's width from starting speed painting zeds for PSZ, I just finished some evil saucers for War Rocket, thus getting ready for play-testing/demo-ing, and today I received my fireforge Templars, and Templar Infantry (and Foot Sergeants), so I can start assembling some Feudal Knights for my Chivalry project.

For this project I only have to paint the already assembled terrain pieces, and then paint the assembled and based plastic MoM Fellowship I got from Gibby with these:

plus half a ton unpainted metal and plastic (and Saruman and Grima in resin).

So I'm not expanding on this right now, but my plan is to slowly work my way through the Journey Books, painting the needed minis, and building the need terrain as I go, for which I bought this yesterday:

I also may end up going in a COMPLETELY different direction...  ::)