Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:27:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 15mm old west painting  (Read 3434 times)

Offline The_Wisecrack

• Mad Scientist
    • Easy Painter
15mm old west painting
« on: April 30, 2014, 07:58:53 PM »
Having recently sold my entire old west collection (bar a few minis that are also on the way out of the door) i have moved my western focus to the set of 15mm miniatures i have in my lead mountain. i have put these off due to their scale for so long but i see now that you can get some really charming results from this scale.

i began with the mexicans because in my mind i could work through them with a mixture of browns and beiges alternating from shirt to trouser and vice versa to get enough of a mix.

check out the results from that below.

NExt up is the undertaker and Blondie from the spaghetti westerns. I hope you guys like these. they are perfect for me to have a little game of black west with and i found a very easy blacklining technique, simply using a fineliner. i think that even though it makes them a little cartoony it is nicer than having no eyes or mouths, especially on such small miniatures.

TW
EZPAINTER.CO.UK/BLOG

Online FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Re: 15mm old west painting
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 03:28:38 AM »
Might I recommend that in the future, instead of trying to paint eyes in this scale just use a darker wash and let the color settled into the eye sockets.  I think it looks better - though the real challenge is having the figures exploded so large here.

Also, can you tell us where the girl in red comes from?  I can use a figure or two like that for my Soiled Dove section of town.

Always like seeing 15 mm figures!

Offline The_Wisecrack

• Mad Scientist
    • Easy Painter
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 01:28:54 PM »
hey there

the soiled dove is from this line i believe

http://www.miniaturefigurines.co.uk/Catalogue.aspx?ScaleID=2&CategoryID=13&SubCategoryID=87

i am certain most of the miniatures shown here are.
the pictures are indeed very large but as is always worth saying "to the eye" they look pretty nifty. I do intend to give some light washes to some of the lighter miniatures but for now i will stick with the fineliner as i like how sharp it is on these little sculpts. when you have such little detail to work with i like the outcome of finer black lines and dots than trusting ink to fall in the right places on these tiny minis.

Here is the next miniature. He is the undertaker.

Feedback always welcome.

ALSO - HAS ANYONE BUILT TERRAIN FOR THIS SCALE OF OLD WEST?

Online FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2014, 05:28:04 PM »
Undertaker looks grand.  I'm pretty sure the soiled dove is not from minifigs.  On the terrain front, since it looks like you are going for the desert southwest, check out both Peter Pig (great range of old west 15s) and Stone Mountain Miniatures here in the states, both have packs of cacti plus you can get things like horse troughs and tie rails and SM has some suitable southwest structures.  At Peter Pig, check out there scenics range for a variety of items, including dead cows of all things!

As for terrain generally, pretty easy to make.  And if you are going for Arizona you don't need to stay with dry browns and tans, lots of green in that state's portion of the Sonoran Desert. (I think it's part of that anyway).  Also, check out gift shops for small pieces of use; I found some really nice cacti I'll be using - though admittedly that was on a trip to Arizona!

Offline The_Wisecrack

• Mad Scientist
    • Easy Painter
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2014, 06:07:10 PM »
THANKS ! thats some awesome hints there:).  as per the soiled dove if not there i am not sure. sadly they have no images on their site and it makes it hard to check miniatures. i bought this lot for £5 in a bring and buy, an absolute bargain, so sadly i don't really know where some of the miniatures are from.

below is the next miniature

he is BLONDIE from the good the bad and the ugly. given the scale i went for a mroe representative paint job that a direct copy of the charaCTER.

I shall perhaps be knocking up some 15mm buildings this week since it should be so easy to make the basic shapes that i can probably do it from my bed given my current ill state.

Any feedback always appreciated.

TW