Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:55:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Outremer Range, 28mm terrain for gaming in the Holy Land  (Read 5385 times)

Offline Chris Abbey

• Mastermind
    • Sally 4th Wargames Terrain & Figure Storage
Outremer Range, 28mm terrain for gaming in the Holy Land
« on: May 07, 2014, 08:16:40 AM »

Coming soon... first release next week, full range to include walls, breached walls, towers, Moorish gateway, Middle Eastern buildings, Mosque, Palace, Market Stalls, Besiegers Encampment, Raised Courtyard and Siege Equipment.

Further details at : http://wargamesbuildings.co.uk/Designers-Workbench
Chris Abbey
Www.sally4th.co.uk

Offline Crossedlances

• Bookworm
Re: Outremer Range, 28mm terrain for gaming in the Holy Land
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 05:37:15 PM »
Wow Chris you are going to cost me a fortune soon.....

Martin
Martin Knight family historian and military history

Offline axabrax

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 05:38:49 PM »
And these are pre-painted?

Offline Chris Abbey

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 05:59:00 PM »
These are pre-painted laser cut kits.
I've just touched up the burnt edges with some household emulsion sampler, added some sand and grit to texture bases and around the breached wall. The loose 'stone blocks' are part of the kit.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 09:41:56 AM »
Really nice  8) 8) 8). I think that they'd need a lot of 'scruffing' up though.

Darrell.

Offline Chris Abbey

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 11:44:34 AM »
Yes, I think you are right. I am planning a liberal coat of ink stains and weathering powder on mine. I like to post a photo that shows the kits as they come out of the box with just a paint over the burn marks to show people what they look like with minimal work. All of the terrain in the photo was assembled and burnt edges covered in a single afternoon and evening because I needed a photo for Wargames Illustrated Ad the next day!

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2014, 02:38:51 PM »
Yes, I think you are right. I am planning a liberal coat of ink stains and weathering powder

Weathering Powder sounds like a great idea, what were you thinking of using?

i was thinking plaster- I think I'd get it finished sometime before 2020 if I took that route  lol.

Darrell.

Offline Chris Abbey

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2014, 09:11:49 PM »
Hi Darrel
I haver some model railway weathering powders that I sometimes use, but the cheapest and most effective thing I have found is artists pastels which I rub on a piece of course sandpaper to turn to dust and then apply dry with a large brush. I think the important thing to bear in mind is the 80/20 rule, 80% of the benefits gained with 20% of the effort. All of the terrain in the photo was assembled and edges painted in one afternoon and evening, we played a game on it and took photos for magazine the next day. We can now take our time to super detail the pieces. What were you thinking off doing with plaster?

I have started a Crescent and Cross hobby section on my web site and will be adding articles each week on collecting and painting the armies and assembling and detailing the terrain kits. If anyone is going to War Torn in Scarborough next month, the Outremer range will be on display.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2014, 07:02:19 AM »
Thanks for answering promptly Chris.

Hi Darrel
I haver some model railway weathering powders that I sometimes use, but the cheapest and most effective thing I have found is artists pastels which I rub on a piece of course sandpaper to turn to dust and then apply dry with a large brush.

Ah, that's the sort of thing I use for WWII Urban fighting- I've got quite a few cheep and not so cheep soft pastels left over from Art College many a moon ago. It seems to me that this is all that weathering powders are. Trick is not to buy oil pastels in the event any budding Degas is reading  :).

What were you thinking off doing with plaster?

Just use it as rendering as many of the castles in Outremer were rendered. Leaving many a gap for the courses of stonework to show through of course.

I have started a Crescent and Cross hobby section on my web site and will be adding articles each week on collecting and painting the armies and assembling and detailing the terrain kits. If anyone is going to War Torn in Scarborough next month, the Outremer range will be on display.

I'll keep one eye open on that page then.

Darrell.

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2014, 08:57:24 PM »
Weathering Powder sounds like a great idea, what were you thinking of using?

i was thinking plaster- I think I'd get it finished sometime before 2020 if I took that route  lol.

Darrell.

Valejho do a range of weathering powders. They sell them in the local branch of Boyes.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Chris Abbey

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2014, 11:26:22 AM »
The first buildings in the Sally 4th Outremer range are now available for purchase. This range has been designed for 28mm scale gaming using Saga Crescent and the Cross, Deus Vult or other medieval wargames rules, although these middle eastern houses would look equally at home on any wargames battlefield from Biblical times to the present day.

Today's release is 4 variations of a simple, stone built, square, middle eastern house with a flat roof and and external staircase. Each building can be assembled with the staircase either to the side or to the rear, giving 8 possible variations of the basic house.

The building measures 135mm x 100mm x 65mm high and is constructed from 2mm and 3mm MDF to give a sturdy and realistic 5mm wall thickness. The roof is removable to place figures inside and the staircase has been designed so that figure bases are held in place when 'climbing' stairs.

Cost £18.50 unpainted / £20.35 pre-painted

Over the next 3 months Sally 4th has a comprehensive release schedule including just about every type of building you could desire for Crusader gaming with Saga Crescent and the Cross including medium house, large house, L shape house, mosque, palace, raised courtyard, moorish gate, city walls, ruined walls, towers, tented encampment, market place and siege equipment. If we've left anything out, drop as an email and we'll see what we can do!

Offline Chris Abbey

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2014, 04:29:36 PM »
This week’s installment in Sally 4ths Outremer range of terrain, designed to be compatible with Saga Crescent and the Cross, Deus Vult and other 28mm crusader themed games is three city wall tower variants.

Towers stand 235mm high and have a 100mm x 100mm footprint. These models are designed to accompany our 30' wall sections to form a city wall to represent Jerusalem or any other walled city in the Holy Land.

The three tower variants are:

OR4: In-line Tower (£27.50 unpainted / £30.25 pre-painted)
OR5: External Corner Tower (£27.50 unpainted / £30.25 pre-painted)
OR6: Internal Corner Tower with Balcony (£31.50 unpainted / £34.10 pre-painted)

Link for further details: http://wargamesbuildings.co.uk/28mm-Outremer-Crusades-Range

Offline Chris Abbey

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2014, 07:58:44 AM »
This week sees the completion of the first wave of kits in Sally 4ths Outremer Range. This range has been designed to complement Saga Crescent and the Cross, Deus Vult and other 28mm Medieval / Crusades rules.

The ruined wall sections are the pieces we have had the most enquiries about. These are the same size as a standard wall section (150mm x 100mm x 182mm high) to enable a wall section to be replaced with a ruined section once a breach has been made. The kit comes with pieces to make the large masonry blocks in the rubble. Just add your own sand or grit to complete the kit as shown in the photographs. The ruined wall sections are available as a left hand and right hand variant.
Cost £27.50 Unpainted / £30.25 Pre-painted

The Half Wall section is useful for positioning the Moorish Gateway in the centre of a double section of walling, as shown our main photograph.
Cost £10.50 Unpainted / £11.55 Pre-painted

As we have finished the first wave release we have been able to put together two deals to enable purchase of the complete set as shown in our advertising photographs at a saving of 10% over buying the models individually.
City Wall Deal (5 Towers, 4 Walls, 2 Ruined Walls, 2 Half Walls, 2 Gateways)
Cost £305.55 Unpainted / £335.60 Pre-painted
City Building Deal (8 small Middle Eastern Houses – 4 Variants)
Cost £133.20 Unpainted / £146.50 Pre-painted)

All kits made from 2mm & 3mm MDF and come with detailed instructions requiring PVA woodglue for assembly.

Wave Two releases for Outremer Range will include: Medium House, L Shaped House, Large House, Mosque, Palace and Raised Courtyard.

Link for further details: http://wargamesbuildings.co.uk/28mm-Outremer-Crusades-Range
Hobby articles on collecting, painting, basing Crescent and the Cross Armies available at : http://wargamesbuildings.co.uk/Hobby-Pages/Saga-Crescent-and-Cross-Hobby-Page