Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 07:24:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690600
  • Total Topics: 118339
  • Online Today: 840
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Gloire  (Read 10804 times)

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
Gloire
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2006, 09:39:18 PM »
Quote from: "black hat miniatures"

Pictures here:

http://guildford-wargames.org.uk/info/?page_id=34&file=Shows/Valhalla%202004%20-%20Three%20Musketeers/

I'd like an excuse to use the figures again - I have built a complete Inn to use with them as well...

Mike, welcome! Very nice pictures, make me want to begin a musketeers project :-) But I need the figs!!! Is the ship scratchbuilt?

Offline black hat miniatures

• Mad Scientist
    • http://www.blackhat.co.uk/
Gloire
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2006, 10:03:27 PM »
Quote from: "Prof.Witchheimer"
Mike, welcome! Very nice pictures, make me want to begin a musketeers project :-) But I need the figs!!! Is the ship scratchbuilt?

Thanks.

It was a joint club project - I provided most of the figures (the towns folk are mostly Redoubt ECW range) plus the base board/harbour area.

Someone else scratch built the buildings.

And yes, the ship is scratch built by a very talented club member called John Rich  - adapted from the Gary Chalk plans in Wargames Illustrated.

The game was a lot of fun to run.
Mike Lewis

Black Hat Miniatures
www.blackhat.co.uk

Offline Etranger

• Mad Scientist
Gloire
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2006, 12:57:31 AM »
Quote from: "Prof. Dietrich Hes"
I'd imagine that having hte actual characters in the book might be a bit of a copyright infrigment, but having htem as a free download isnt. ....

Doesn't seem to have stopped Eureka though. Is Gloire going to be flexible enough to allow for other scales/sizes eg 40mm? I might have to get painting.
"It's only a flesh wound...."

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
Gloire
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2006, 01:06:40 AM »
Quote from: "Etranger"
Is Gloire going to be flexible enough to allow for other scales/sizes eg 40mm? I might have to get painting.

Like .45 Adventure, scale is not exactly important since there is not a serious attempt to accurately calculate ranges, etc. You can play the game with it as is in 15mm, 28mm, or 40mm without affecting the rules.

With 40mm you may want to bump all ranges and movements by 25% (or make it easy and double it) and you may want to play on a larger surface than the 2'x2' recommended, BUT that is entirely up to you.
Richard A. Johnson
On Facebook: Rattrap on Facebook

Offline Prof. Dietrich Hes

• Librarian
Gloire
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2006, 02:06:23 AM »
Etranger,
  Yes, Eureka has the stats in their rules, but they are for free, and not for profit as Rich/Petes rules will be. So I think that is why they can do it.  I can be completely wrong though.

I'll agree with Rich that if you go about 25% of what the rules call for, then the rules would work fine for 40mm.

Offline black hat miniatures

• Mad Scientist
    • http://www.blackhat.co.uk/
Gloire
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2006, 07:53:30 AM »
Quote from: "Prof. Dietrich Hes"
Etranger,
  Yes, Eureka has the stats in their rules, but they are for free, and not for profit as Rich/Petes rules will be. So I think that is why they can do it.  I can be completely wrong though.

Alexandre Dumas died in 1870, so his books and their characters are no longer in copyright.  You probably couldn't base them on the 1970s versions in the film, but the films are VERY close to the books anyway.

Offline Prof. Dietrich Hes

• Librarian
Gloire
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2006, 01:42:18 PM »
good point.  I'm sure RIch and Pete will make the right call on that one.  I would gaher that they might not be in the book but as a free download.  Rich is really good at making free supplements for his rules, so I would imagine that as long as the rules prove to be half as popular as 45A, then we can see the same support

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
Gloire
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2006, 04:14:12 PM »
There have been a few Musketeer movies since the 70s, and I wouldn't want to go toe-to-toe with The Mouse over the public-domain status of Dumas' characters. I guess that's my major reluctance to put them in the book.

On a matter of gaming philosophy, I don't see why people can't create their own D'Artagnans with the appropriate character templates. I think including famous literary characters can needlessly restrict people's ability to see the potential in the genre. I'd rather the rules be a toolkit to allow people to create their own adventures.

It's my intention to follow up the rulebook with lots of good freebies. Rich's precedent for doing so with .45 Adventures is what helps make it a popular game.

You can also play Gloire with the 90mm Papo plastic figures, or 6mm, if you wanted to! You just have to adjust your ranges appropriately. I think there will be a scale conversion table in the book for your edification.

Offline Howard Whitehouse

• Scientist
Gloire
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2006, 12:39:06 AM »
Dumas' characters are surely in the public domain. Even the largest and most powerful corporation cannot seize the rights to something that is already out of copyright. They can protect their own version of D'Artagnon and chums, but they don't own the names or the characters.

It seems crazy to have a three musketeers world where our heroes are Jim, Eddie,  Fat Bert and Stinky Steve.
I do all my own stunts