Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 02:33:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690585
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 822
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Death in Tingtong - A Colonial Project in 28mm  (Read 15084 times)

Offline V

• Mastermind
Re: Death in Tingtong - A Colonial Project in 28mm
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2008, 12:36:04 AM »
Captain Keene and his brave men, ready for action!

Sergeant-Major MacNutt points out the cultists lair to Sir Sidney Rough-Diamond...

Petty Officer Dempsey, Miss Darcy and her uncle, Sir Sidney Rough-Diamond

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2008, 01:47:54 AM »
Excelent work as usual.
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline archangel1

• Mastermind
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2008, 03:45:39 AM »
...Sergeant-Major MacNutt points out the cultists lair to Sir Sidney Rough-Diamond...

Doesn't look a bit like Sid James!  :D  I really must order some of those Empress Miniatures Brits!
Why take Life seriously? You'll never get out of it alive!

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2008, 08:25:10 AM »
How DO you get that grass to stand upright like that???
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2008, 08:29:02 AM »
Great stuff, really enjoying seeing this project come together. Not sure what Sir Sidney is up to. Last I remember he was fighting the Prussians back in England. He does get around. :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2008, 10:44:26 AM »
Fantastic, superb paintjob and bases!
argsilverson

Offline V

• Mastermind
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2008, 10:47:32 PM »
How DO you get that grass to stand upright like that???

Siflor tufts from Antenociti... Dont be put off by the price. Well worth and you get so many figures done with them.

Great stuff, really enjoying seeing this project come together. Not sure what Sir Sidney is up to. Last I remember he was fighting the Prussians back in England. He does get around. :)

Sir Sidney likes to put himself about a bit alright...

Well, thats the first batch of figures done. As I await the arrival of batch two... We are gonna get the campaign underway, tomorrow will be the first game!

Looking forward to more figures coming...

Especially those mysterious Russian sailors.  ;)

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2008, 11:15:22 PM »
V, since the start of this thread I've been meaning to ask you what your painting method is with these miniatures. Specifically, how do you combine the washes with more traditional techniques to get it all to come together so nicely as it does? I half-presume there is at least some highlighting involved.
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline V

• Mastermind
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2008, 11:45:08 PM »
Well the more I use these GW washes the more I find what they can do... and what they cant do.

But they really speed things up. Some colours I highlight and then wash, with other base colour, wash and then base colour again for highlight. It depends on the colour really.

Part of the reason for this project was to spend a good bit of time using these washes and they are good. I have started combining two different washes to get deeper colours on the model. Whats nice is the sheer variety of effects you can get. One thing I have noticed though is that the better the quality of figure, the better results you get.

I really will get my finger out and do a tutorial!

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2008, 10:08:26 AM »
I have started combining two different washes to get deeper colours on the model.

Do you mix them? Or apply one after the other?

I just had a go at a (westwind rage) zombie, first a heavy purple wash over very pale skin/bone, then a heavy drybrush of rotting flesh, followed by a wash of sepia. Interesting effect, that sepia on rotting flesh  ;D o_o

I think I'm going to try one with a basecoat of field grey, drybrushed with rotting flesh, and then washed with sepia... just for trying it...  ;)

I shall have to buy me some of those tufts, definitely!

Offline Dan

• Mastermind
    • Wades World of Wargaming
« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2008, 10:42:34 AM »
I have started combining two different washes to get deeper colours on the model.

I just had a go at a (westwind rage) zombie, first a heavy purple wash over very pale skin/bone, then a heavy drybrush of rotting flesh, followed by a wash of sepia. Interesting effect, that sepia on rotting flesh  ;D o_o

I think I'm going to try one with a basecoat of field grey, drybrushed with rotting flesh, and then washed with sepia... just for trying it...  ;)

Ive just done twenty GW Zombies experimenting with the washes with four different skin colours , not happy with some of them but I like using the washes . I'm now doing five John Jenkins , five Copplestone plus two Westwind lady Zombies . I'm getting better at using the washes and will probobly start a thread on them if I can take better photos.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2008, 11:05:13 AM »

Ive just done twenty GW Zombies experimenting with the washes with four different skin colours , not happy with some of them but I like using the washes . I'm now doing five John Jenkins , five Copplestone plus two Westwind lady Zombies . I'm getting better at using the washes and will probobly start a thread on them if I can take better photos.

We're straying off topic, but I'll be looking forward to that. I'm slowly building a zombie horde for Dead Walk Again and Future Wars.

Offline V

• Mastermind
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2008, 12:55:55 PM »
A few pics from the first game...

Commandant Gaunt and his charge, Miss Darcy, are visiting a ruined customs post recently destroyed by the Jade Dragon cult, when they are ambushed by a number of Dragons!

Luckily, Captain Keene is nearby as is Petty Officer Dempsey, whose two patrols rush to the rescue...

The Jade Dragons were wiped out to a man... and only managed to kill one Police Constable... Even though getting close to kidnapping Miss Darcy who promptly shot dead her assailant with her revolver...

Rules worked well... But proved I need to paint alot more Chinese...

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2008, 01:05:08 PM »
Smashing, just smashing. Wonderful table layout.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2008, 01:23:18 PM »
Great looking table to go with the great looking troops.

Could I request a quick walkthrough on painting the naval troops? I've got a couple of units to get done for October and I like the look of those.