Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:30:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Looking for thoughts on Heavy Gear game  (Read 5478 times)

Online manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
Looking for thoughts on Heavy Gear game
« on: May 29, 2014, 08:08:01 PM »
 I am wondering if any members have played Heavy Gear and what they think of it?

From what i can see on-line a new version of the game is being worked on now.

The Gears look good and after seeing the post by Agis with the little lizard riders has me thinking of trying it out.

Any idea's of a good starting point?

Also is the scale 10mm?

Any info is most welcome.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Re: Looking for thoughts on Heavy Gear game
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 12:04:27 AM »
I dunno, but I'd like to see what people think.  Anything with mecha intrigues me though Heavy Gear always had exceptionally bland mechs back in the day (zero character in the models...just..."meh".)  I'd definitely be interested in seeing what the new one is.  So...bump!  Surely someone plays.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 05:58:14 AM »
The "scale" is indeed 10mm or 1/144, but will work with other 15mm models, only the 10mm infantry would be a bit out of scale.
I always loved the mech designs of HG, the Southern Mamba Gear is my favorite mech of all time!

I cannot really judge the rules. I played the various Iteration of the Silhouette System over the years, but never as much as I wanted.
It is a solid System with alternate unit activation, opposed dice rolls and a lot of interaction.
It can get a bit complicated at times, but IIRC that is something DP9 wants to tackle with the new System!
There should be some free condensed rules available at the DP9 Website.
cheers and keep on gaming, Agis - http://www.adpublishing.de

Offline maxxon

• Mad Scientist
    • Small Cuts
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 06:34:00 AM »
I've tried to play HG because I love VOTOMS.

Yeah, they went with a weird scale. It's 1/144, which is can be larger than 10mm depending on who's counting (10mm can be closer to 1/200).

It is heavily rooted in hex-based play (damn the Americans and their hexes). They've tried to remove the hexes from the tabletop version, but the last time I checked there were still plenty of 60 degree angles in the game (IMHO a non-hex game works MUCH better with multiples of 45 degrees -- anyone can eyeball 90 degrees and split that in half, but you need a measurement device for 60 degrees).

It is also way more complex than I like. I'm not sure if I'm quite up to date, but the last version I check was still way way too complex for my tastes with lock-ons and multiple modifiers and really detailed damage states.

In my opinion, Lightning Strike is a much better game using the same core mechanics.
Small Cuts - a miniatures webzine - www.smallcuts.net

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 09:53:25 AM »
Is the Battletech Quick Strike ruleset good with other mecha?  How "anime" is Heavy Gear - super lightning fast stuff, or are they plodding mechs?

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 12:54:15 PM »
Why not download the latest rules file and get a feel for yourself:
http://dreampod9.s3.amazonaws.com/downloads/HGBv5-AlphaRulesv5.2UpdatedApril11th.pdf
 ;) ;)

Offline kenohhkc

• Scientist
  • I Can't Help Myself
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 03:09:29 PM »
Miniatures - some of the best scifi and mecha designs ever. Consistent, beautiful, varied, and makes sense. The original RAFM ones were great, but the current sculpts are amazing.

Game - I have played several versions and it never works for what it needs to be. Its not fast or frenetic. Its way too complicated and slows down the action. These aren't lumbering beasts. These are agile and fast merchants of destruction. So for me until they trim down the rules and make it fast it wont represent the potential of the miniatures. Its a shame.

Buy the miniatures, then use Agis' rules or Grunts or any other faster playing game with mechs and tanks and infantry. my 2 cents.

Online manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2014, 03:50:14 PM »
 Thanks for the input on this game.

It is after seeing the pieces Agis and others have done which has got me interested in the setting.Got a pack of the little bikes with sidecars.Not sure where the guns are supposed to go onto.

I picked up a few older books on the setting but most are rpg based i think.Nice fluff and pictures too.

The cartoon series was pretty good from years ago.

It is a shame people think the game is not living upto it's potential.

May have to get some of the Gears to use in other games.I had thought about Agis's rules and Gruntz.Will pick them up at a show this year.Got the Criticalmass rules and lots of thier miniatures too.

I have been on the DP9 forums but wanted other input on the game and not just major fan boy talk if you know what i mean.

The into the Badlands book is one which has got me most interested.I like the Barnaby lizard riders and Sandraider infantry too.There are twoGears in the book which i cant find Gears of on the DP9 site.Not sure if they were made.They are the Prairie Dog and Groundhog.Anyone know if they were made or not?

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2014, 04:16:38 PM »
I will add my voice to the comments above. I started playing it with the 1/87 gears and always thought that while the models are superb the rules were much too "clunky" to capture the anime feel of the background books, cartoon (and the wonderful little Activision PC game). You did not get the impression of fast moving light mechs
We dropped the rules and used Mekton instead.

Personally I was sorry when they dropped the scale to 1/144.

Online manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2014, 04:28:04 PM »
 Just about to place a small order for a few packs to check them out.

Got tohave a pack of the Barnaby sandrider lizards.Then the Bricklayer and Stone Mason engineering Gears.North Hunter Commando Two Pack and Badlands: Chasseur Two Pack.These are all pieces i like the look of.Wayland games dont seem to have a very good stock at the moment.

Thanks for the link to the rules Agis.Will check them out over the weekend.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2014, 07:40:03 PM »
Why not download the latest rules file and get a feel for yourself:
http://dreampod9.s3.amazonaws.com/downloads/HGBv5-AlphaRulesv5.2UpdatedApril11th.pdf
 ;) ;)

Thanks for the link, but I was more asking about the "fluff" behind Heavy Gear.  Since it appears anime based I'm guessing lightning fast mechs that skate around on rocket jets etc.  lol  I will check out their rules just for kicks though.

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2014, 07:46:38 PM »
Buy the miniatures, then use Agis' rules or Grunts or any other faster playing game with mechs and tanks and infantry. my 2 cents.
Music in my ears...  :D ;)

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2014, 05:56:24 AM »
Always loved the world of HG. Been interested since back in 97 er 98.
When they moved to the 1/144 scale i can say i didn't see much use for the minis.
I personally loved the 1/87 scale RAFM models. Still trying to acquire some of this line as well. << HINT HINT HINT
As for the fluff i always thought it had an anime feel to it.
But there have been too many sets of rules over that short amount of time.

I do like the idea of getting the models in whichever scale you prefer and then using other sets of rules.
I have seen Agis' rules and GRUNTZ mentioned. What other set of rules you all think would work?
As for Agis' rules and GRUNTZ and whatever set of rules are mention does anyone have any reference material set up? Unit card and the like.

Grimm

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2014, 11:08:46 AM »
Always loved the world of HG. Been interested since back in 97 er 98.
When they moved to the 1/144 scale i can say i didn't see much use for the minis.
I personally loved the 1/87 scale RAFM models. Still trying to acquire some of this line as well. << HINT HINT HINT

As for Agis' rules and GRUNTZ and whatever set of rules are mention does anyone have any reference material set up? Unit card and the like.

PM me what you need in 1/87, I still have some...

As far as reference material is concerned, the ViDe - Future Combat book includes stats for a Southern Jäger as an example unit. I havean agreement with DP9 that allowed me to included this stuff.
Using ViDe FuCo you can crate more or less every HG unit, a bit generic but playable.
There might even be a dedicated HG supplement in the future...

Offline Achilles

• Mad Scientist
  • Heal them, with fire from above.
    • Guerrilla Miniature Games
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2014, 01:30:27 AM »
That would (frankly) be more playable than the last couple editions of Heavy Gear. ;)

I've got North and South armies for HG I ought to dust off and see if I can make in Future Combat.

All life is an experiment.
The more experiments you make, the better.
To see more painted Toy Soldiers, check out my Blog!