Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:24:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: [Kickstarter] Mantic Dwarf Kings Quest. ALL DONE.$1.05 million final.  (Read 43713 times)

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
the mantic open day had some of the miniatures for the next dwarf kings hold game on display, and they look great!
the rules seem really fun, and if this game comes in a deadzone style box with terrain and all i think it could be a great game for fans of heroquest or similar :)

(linking to the game designers website because it's easier.)

http://quirkworthy.com/2014/05/28/dwarf-kings-hold-4-some-info/
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 11:35:18 AM by nic-e »
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline fairoaks024

• Mastermind
Re: Dwarf kings hold 4 rumours and pics.
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 05:04:36 PM »
Thanks for posting that, excellent read and info, this is right up my alley
and I'll be pledging and running this with my old role playing group without a shadow
of a doubt.

Regards

Jim
Cult of the black goat cultist No.10

Offline Captain Gamma

• Mad Scientist
    • https://killerbgames.co.uk/
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 12:33:42 PM »
This is great news, I had no idea this was coming. Although having already pledged for the Mars Attacks and Dreadball Xtreme kickstarters I doubt my wallet could afford yet another crowd funder from Mantic at the moment.
"Morning!"

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 02:22:28 PM »
This is the first Mantic product that actually has me reaching for the wallet. Very interesting!
Please visit my miniature gaming blog at http://ministuff.godzilla.se

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 05:33:56 PM »
This is the first Mantic product that actually has me reaching for the wallet. Very interesting!

I love mantic, i think they make great games, but i think if this goes well it could blow their other stuff out of the water :)

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 06:09:37 PM »
I love mantic, i think they make great games, but i think if this goes well it could blow their other stuff out of the water :)
My statement was no reflection on their previous offerings. I'm not into "large" battle games such as Warpath or KoW. I don't play enough Blood Bowl to fell I need a replacement for it, so Dreadzone haven't interested me either. Deadzone looked interesting but once again, the setting and miniatures left me cold. The old DKH had passed under my radar, but looked a bit too confined compared to what I'm looking for in a game. This, however, have the possibility of checking almost all my boxes for a dungeon romp. Exciting times!

Offline matthais-mouse

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 06:13:45 PM »
That. Necromancer.  :o

May have to pledge to this as a first time 'pledger'  :D
.: Logan's band of survivors of the battle of Ursun's teeth :.

For blog posts with more info here.....
http://let-the-galaxy-burn-again.blogspot.co.uk/
And the vlogs here....
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzyMQNtc1ANwIbEN80M-gwA

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2014, 07:30:47 PM »
I'm  hoping (REALLY HOPING) that because this is a less squad based game, they might make these hard plastic or real resin.

Also, i'll be packing for uni when this kickstarter is meant to come around, so i'm also hoping i can afford it.

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2014, 08:01:41 PM »
I'm  hoping (REALLY HOPING) that because this is a less squad based game, they might make these hard plastic or real resin.
I'm not familiar with Mantic's material, but aren't their stuff always injection molded hard-ish plastic? Ie not board game bendy-plastic but proper miniatures plastic. It's a moot point for me as I have dungeon creatures and heroes coming out the wazoo in glorious lead, but I'll join you in your hopes for your sake. =)

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2014, 08:10:43 PM »
I'm not familiar with Mantic's material, but aren't their stuff always injection molded hard-ish plastic? Ie not board game bendy-plastic but proper miniatures plastic. It's a moot point for me as I have dungeon creatures and heroes coming out the wazoo in glorious lead, but I'll join you in your hopes for your sake. =)

It's restic, which is an alright material but not huge fun to clean up. actually you make a good point, as their mars attacks game is using a hard board game plastic, similar to their loka pieces, so i hope this game uses the same :)

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2014, 09:43:55 PM »
This could be really interesting, the market has been looking for a good co-op dungeon skirmish (rather than rpg lite) game for ever. DKH 1&2 are great fun games and the Mantic plastic figures are great quality casts of OK sculpts (Dwarves are a bit meh but others good enough, the undead are the stand out, they are brilliant figures).

Certainly one to watch out for.

Offline Quirkworthy

• Scientist
  • Quirkworthy
    • Quirkworthy
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2014, 02:41:29 PM »
In terms of materials, I'm not sure what the DKH4 ones will be. Probably similar to the Mars Attacks figures, with dungeon furniture in hard plastic instead, at a guess. However, there was discussion about offering optional premium resin castings of the same sculpts for painters or collectors who preferred that. That may be an option during the Kickstarter.

"Restic" is a slightly confusing thing to call that material as it's not a single thing: it's a family. You can tweak the recipe (and Mantic have) to get different degrees of bendiness, detail holding, and other properties. I think each wave of models that Mantic have made with this sort of material has been with a different blend, and it's got better each time. The Mars Attacks ones are pretty good. Personally I'd still prefer good old Airfix style hard plastic, but that's a personal preference. Most mediums, including this one, have some advantage or other.

Prodos, Privateer Press, Fantasy Flight, CMON, and even Finecast models are all somewhere on this spectrum of material. And, what's true for one mix isn't always true for another - even within a single company. 

Offline deathjester25

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2014, 05:14:22 PM »
I've always meant to check out the DKH games and just never got around to it. This will probably change that.

If i want to play the originals would I be ok just getting the pdf rules? I already have loads of dungeon tiles and minis. Is there anything else in the boxed game that is necessary to play

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2014, 05:23:04 PM »
Is there anything else in the boxed game that is necessary to play

Yes, the tokens that determine actions/follow on actions. They are different for each side.

Offline deathjester25

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2014, 05:29:14 PM »
Do they at least describe the tokens enough where I could make my own?