Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:30:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686664
  • Total Topics: 118120
  • Online Today: 817
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: BATTLE OF SANDRINGHAM 1903 UPDATED pictures AND WALKERS  (Read 14430 times)

Offline thejammedgatling

• Mad Scientist
BATTLE OF SANDRINGHAM 1903 UPDATED pictures AND WALKERS
« on: July 20, 2008, 02:49:01 PM »
Captain Blashford - Robbins tugged at his collar to relieve the heat as he watched the Queen climb the gantry for the official ship naming ceremony. It was late in the day due to delays which had been beyond his control but which he knew he'd be blamed for by his superiors. As long as Queen Victoria wanted to stay in the inn swapping tall tales with her highland officers and that annoying Lady Marmalade there was little he could do about it. Overall though he couldn't be too dissapointed . Although the Queen had not initially been too amused by the rather unsteady gait of the new army walking artillery platform 'HMMS Gladiator', she had been excited to use it to chase grouse across her estate. It had been quite a sight to see the ageing monarch who needed help to keep upright suddenly start belting away with her shotgun at anything that moved, including at one stage a game warden from the RSPB reserve. The test range forgotten, the mechanical terror had waded tidal inlets, crossed salt marshes and at one point crashed a party of the local WI. Once the smelling salts had been passed around the good ladies were more than happy to pass cakes and scones up to the thankful naval brigade who scoffed them at the insistence of the Queen who scolded Admiral Standish for being too 'po faced'. The captain smiled at the memory of the admirals expression.
It was vitally important for certain members of the cabinet to get the Queen's approval for the new war initiative which was being funded by the 23rd war bond. As usual the job of pleasing the Queen had been given to the officer lowest in the food chain.. Him. The artillery trials had gone well except for the first round which had overshot. Really there was no way of knowing that the pig farm was there. Correction..that it once had been there. At least the good citizens of Lower Titchwell would be eating chops for a good few weeks to come. And the Queen had been impressed by the pintle mounted gatling guns, though he'd not heard of them being used for rabbit hunting before.

Standing on the foredeck of HMMS Gladiator, the captain was aware even above the din of the crowd which had gathered on the royalestate of a growing squeaking sound. He'd put it down to another infernal conponent in this machine, but the noise was getting louder. No time to look about though as the Queen had reached the top of the gantry. The crowd shushed into silence and a hundred pairs of eyes watched as the queen took hold of the lever which would drop the bottle onto the front deck of the ship. Something fell behind the captain and clattered to the ground but he dared not look away.
The Queen had managed to gather some composure now and look slightly more regal, despite the bunting which had somehow got snagged on her foot and which no one had had the bravery to tell her she was dragging around.
"God Bless this ship and all who shail in her"
Oh God, how many had she had..and some of those highlanders didn't look much better..
CLUNK the lever was pulled. The bottle released...and ...expoded in midair.
The captain turned, wiping champaigne from his face while several thoughts buzzed through his head. In roughly this order he thought: "that's not supposed to happen...why is there a large Prussian tank on the other side of the millsteam ...why is midshipman Phelps unconscious behind me...why do they always use such cheap champagne for these things?"

And so began the infamous battle of Sandringham.

Will Queen Victoria be snatched by the ruthless Prussian special forces? Will someone tell the Queen about the bunting she is dragging around on her boot? Will someone get the highlanders out of the pub in time? Were the WI scones really poisoned? If a tree falls in a forest and no-one is there, can we assume it has been caused by an ageing British monarch with a Gatling gun? Can somebody please get me an aspirin?

These questions and more probably will not be answered fully in the next installment...
Watch this space...

TJG
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 02:06:56 PM by thejammedgatling »

Offline fritzy

• Librarian
Re: THE BATTLE OF SANDRINGHAM 1903
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2008, 03:01:52 PM »
 lol lol lol Can't wait to see this unfold.  lol lol lol Done in the true vision of VSF. Go Gettum yer highness.

Cheers

Fritzy

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2008, 10:45:39 PM »
Here Here! on to the show! :D
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline earthdog

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 09:19:45 AM »
Jawohl, jawohl, aber of course ze scones were poisened by the Glorious Secret Military Intelligence Gathering Service of the Glorious Prussian Empire. With the aid of our Glorious Whirlenflieger Staffeln we shall achieve A Glorious Victory.
Altough you don't want to know how much we had pay to convince the customs officer that the tank was just a new experimental agricultural vehicle. Oh well, we'll just have to sell some of the Queens jewelry.

Now Prussia will rule the world, nothing can stop us now... don't be silly Hans, a few commoners dressed in skirts cannot possibly inconvience our operation.

Aside from the above, can't wait to see the rest of the story!
Tank? Vot kind of dumbkopf name is that for a Schutzengrabenvernichtungspanzer?

Offline Rabbitz

• Mad Scientist
    • Unit57
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 10:22:43 AM »
The Battle of Sandrigham.
Full Report Coming Soon.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 01:16:44 PM by Rabbitz »
Integrity is non negotiable

My little blog

www.unit57inminiature.blogspot.com.au

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 10:40:46 AM »
Ohh my..... ;D

Can't wait to see these. :-*
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Thunderchicken

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Amusingly clumsy.
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 03:42:01 PM »
Oh yes!  Thejammedgatlings build up was good so got a feeling this is going to be a feast for the eyes.
Don't!

Offline Rabbitz

• Mad Scientist
    • Unit57
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2008, 03:35:24 AM »
So we finally got to play our very first VSF game in 28mm.  This is now game 4 in our ongoing campaign using both Aeronef scale forces and 28mm figures. 
I picked up a copy of GASLIGHT and Battles by GASLIGHT for this game.  We didn’t really have to long to prepare for the game so we decided on a rather small skirmish, slightly themed (yes very slightly) on The Eagle Has Landed.
It was also a good excuse to paint up some new figures and hang good old Union Jack bunting around my little town.

Prussian forces consisting of Clockwork Cranky pants, A Metal Bicycle, Derailer Tank and a handful of Elite Prussian Guards would attempt to snatch Queen Victoria in a lightning raid whilst at the same time a Prussian Spy who had not only sabotaged the H.M.M.S Gladiator but had also stolen its blueprints would try to escape undetected.

We decided that the Prussian Clanks could only make sustain rolls if there was a friendly figure in base contact with them, someone needs to wind them up.  So the Prussians also had a 4 man Bavarian repair team.

The damage caused to the Gladiator would mean that it had a really low Start and sustain number and could only fire its main gun once it was up and running; its two gatling guns however were fully operational.

The Prussian spy was chosen in secret and hidden within the unit of townsfolk.   At any point in the game I could reveal his true identity and immediately take command of him.  He was armed with a pistol and a bomb should things get desperate for him.

On the British side were 20 Highlanders split into 2 units of 10.  A unit of Marines a large mob of 20 Townsfolk (including our spy.) and the two British tanks freshly back from the hunting trip with the queen.

Anyway  enough of my ramblings and on with the pictures.

Her Majesty Queen Victoria addresses the townsfolk.

Prussians advance on the town using both bridges in a pincer manoeuvre.  Uhrwerk-verschrobe Hosen at the fore; their solid metal skins all but impervious to small arms fire.

No sooner has the Prussian assault started it starts to falter.  Clanks begin to unwind blocking the way.
Bavarian Wind Up teams rush forward to restart the static assault troops.

Highlanders and townsfolk rally forth to defend the Queen whilst the H.M.M.S Orca, a British scout class walker, attempts a flanking manoeuvre on the smaller of the two Prussian forces.

A critical hit from the Prussian Derailer tank causes pipes aboard the Orca to rupture.  Boiling steam sprays the crew but only a single marine falls…the pilot.
The remaining crew scrabble frantically to restore power to their now very large sitting duck.

Townsfolk weather the storm of Clank machine guns and throw themselves against the intruders.  Despite several well aimed rolling pin and broom handle blows the clanks remain undamaged.  In return several townsfolk are torn limb from limb by the vile machines.
The Highlanders, seeing the horror before them, air on the side of caution and take refuge in the loft above the archway, ready to fire down onto the heads of those below.

H.M.M.S Gladiator stirs to life and begins to trade blows with the Prussian Derailer.  Roundshot skims past chimney pots in this deadly exchange of heavy metal.

The Stahlfahrrad, Prussian Scout bike, barges through the Highlanders holding the secondary entrance.  A closely following Clank is not so lucky and is battered to death single handily by Captain Mc Doogle
The Stahlfahrrad lines up a flanking shot on the H.M.M.S Gladiator, unfortunately Wachtmeister Eberhard hadn’t counted on the most fearsome thing in the Britsh Empire…

…Queen Victoria, who was anything but amused, with her trusty double barrelled hunting shotgun.

Highlanders, realizing that their rifle fire is having little effect on the clanks, unleash volley after volley into the much squishier Prussians.
Without the constant supply of people to keep the Clanks fully wound up its not long before they start to grind to a halt.

With the Prussian assault in ruins the few survivors make a fighting withdrawal, erm ok it was more of a rout.

In a last act of defiance the Derailer fires a departing shot directly at the Queen… A direct Hit!

A deadly silence covers the battlefield whilst both sides wait for the smoke to clear…

…People gasp, the only person left standing is Lady Marmalade.  But wait, the body of the Queen is nowhere to be seen.

In a bizarre act of pure chance the Queen was blasted into sky by the explosion.  Only the several layers of petticoats saves her, acting as a parachute bringing Her Majesty, trailing a thin whisper of smoke, down safely onto a nearby roof top.

Father O’Mally Sighed as he looked around at the devastation.  Familiar faces, members of his Parish lay in the blood splattered mud.  Their limp bodies broken and lifeless.
Although tired from the days exertions it would be some time before he could rest.
Personal effects needed to be gathered from the fallen and passed on to surviving relatives.  Graves would need to be dug, oh so many graves.
The Motionless Clanks would need to be disassembled less anyone proved foolish enough to wind up the giant keys embedded in their backs and unwittingly unleash their foul anger once more.

With a crisp salute Private Perkins came to attention before Captain Blashford. 
“Sir, father O’mally found these on the body of Mister Clements, Sir.”
The private held out the unmistakeable Power Amplification Needle and the blueprints for the Gladiator.

Blashford Scratched his head, “No wonder we had such trouble starting her Perkins.”   He started to turn away, hesitated and turned back to the private.  “Perkins, throw that traitor Clements in the pit with the Prussians and make sure the grave remains unmarked. “

“yes Sir”   Perkins Saluted and turn swiftly to march away.

“One last thing before you go Private, Hurry up and get Her Majesty down from there or none of us will ever hear the last of it.”

Conclusion

It was a great Battle even though it was on a very small scale.
Once again bottlenecks can prove a problem, even more so when things break down in the way.   The Prussians definitely needed some more ‘living troops’ unfortunately I used all the figures I had.

Thejammedgatling produced some awesome scratch built tanks and his rust technique is truly inspiring.  I will now have to try to match them in their outstanding quality.

I must pass on my thanks to TJG a worthy opponent.  Michael (A newcomer to our club who bravely took on command as CinC of the Prussians, leaving me the chance to get my head around the rules whist only having to worry about half of the Prussian force)

Also Thanks to Nic and his team at Eureka Miniatures for getting an order of figures rushed to me in record time.  I can thoroughly recommend them to everyone.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 04:48:21 AM by Rabbitz »

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Re: THE BATTLE OF SANDRINGHAM 1903 UPDATED REPORT!!!
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2008, 07:24:05 AM »
Magnificent looking game, wonderful terrain and miniatures,great report and photos. :)
 Three cheers for Her Majesty(Gaud Bless 'Er), saved by her pettitcoats lol.
 Thank Heavens the Prussians have been thwarted. What a beastly plot to snatch the Queen. Very unsporting. >:( Have they no shame - Ask Fritzy... ??? lol)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2008, 07:46:06 AM »
It had been quite a sight to see the ageing monarch...

Especially as she had been dead for two years in 1903. I'll bet Edward VII was doubly surprised and dismayed to see her.  Amazing what they can do with steampunk technology.  :)

Only kidding! Great report. Some brilliant kit you chaps have there. Love the Union jack bunting. Reminds me of far off days when people had street parties whenever the Prince of Wales took a girl to the pictures, and the entire primary school would do a project on it.

Whatever happened to our blissful unthinking Monarchism, Mr. Paparazzo? Mr. Tabloid Editor? Eh? Eh?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 09:31:53 AM by Plynkes »
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2008, 08:35:54 AM »
Top report, and well done Ma'am!

Offline answer_is_42

• Mastermind
  • Mostly Harmless.
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2008, 08:43:30 AM »
Especially has she had been dead for two years in 1903.

That's just what she wants you to think!

Awesome report/models there, something to aspire too...

Did the Queen herself damage or kill anything with her shotgun? Or was she too busy masterminding the defence of the village?
I told you so. You damned fools.
 - H.G. Wells

Offline Rabbitz

• Mad Scientist
    • Unit57
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2008, 09:14:57 AM »
Especially has she had been dead for two years in 1903.

That's just what she wants you to think!

Awesome report/models there, something to aspire too...

Did the Queen herself damage or kill anything with her shotgun? Or was she too busy masterminding the defence of the village?

Yes she took out the Prussian Scout bike.

Thanks for all the nice comments.  At some point we will try to get our alternate history written up...maybe.

Offline thejammedgatling

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2008, 12:20:38 PM »
Queen Victoria (at least in this strange and warped parallel universe) lived until 1912, aided by the strange properties of the Martian Spa mudbaths at Louisbourg Rouge (in the French Colonial Sector) as well as bracing walks with her steam powered terriers and a penchant for earl grey tea. Technically she is still alive as her living brain went down in the safe of the New Titanic when it was lost over Martian Polar territory in the same year. This has since spawned the largest aeronef fleet search in history and at least one film entitled 'Raise the Queen's Brain..".

It was no accident that Victoria survived the great blast that rocked HMMS (Her Majesty's Martian Ship) Gladiator. Thanks to the Jonas Arkwright impervious corset parachute that had been designed for her in case her aeronef carriage should fall from the sky, the Queen was able to return to earth in a controlled (though slightly undignified) descent, only slightly on fire.

Hat's off to Rabbitz who played an excellent game (while explaining the rules to me). His figures are excellent and he should show you the close ups of the Prussians and villagers he painted in record time but he won't as he's too modest so you'll have to badger him.

The outcome of the game was never assured as this was just a tester for us of a new rules set. My villagers were lucky to make almost every courage test but probably their stats he had assigned them in Gaslight rules were better than they should have been and a big advantage to me. For him not to have enough flesh and blood soldiers made it hard to win for him.

So great fun and I look forward to the next battle (which we are both scratch building stuff for again..) which probably will be on Mars. We never did find out what had happened to the marooned German crew survivors of the Dread 33 zeppelin...

Offline Skrapwelder

• Mastermind
  • Pluviophile
    • What Ho, Cythereans!
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2008, 01:23:00 PM »
An excellent report and a great looking game. Very inspiring. Terrain, minis and models all excellently done.

Gladiator and Orca are simply beautiful. Wonderful weathering.