Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:50:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689716
  • Total Topics: 118289
  • Online Today: 768
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Colonial: Odds and Ends  (Read 2382 times)

Offline Major Weenie

• Scientist
  • Never Too Early for a Refreshing Beverage!
    • The Bengal Club
Colonial: Odds and Ends
« on: July 20, 2008, 08:22:32 PM »
Now brace yourself for what may be a cascade of this kind of nonsense.  Similar images, in greater quantity, are on view over at the local gaming club's web site here
http://thebengalclubla.com/tbc_gallery.asp
Please blame my 'Buddy in Belgium' for indicating that I don't post enough.
Here goes.
A Boxer with a flag.  Strangely enough, the flag is NOT from the Warflag web site, but from a DVD containg scans of an article on the Boxer Rebellion.  There were a few water colors of flags, and I grabbed this one, and popped it into Photoshop.  Of course this means that the Chinese characters on one side will be inverted, backwards.  Oh, and it also has a flagpole made from what has become known as the 'Ex-Girlfriend Spear.'  She suggested that I buy a broom with plastic bristles, and use that to make spears. You heat a pair of plyers, which must not have an teeth it must be smooth at the point where you will grip the bristle, and then clamp the end of a bristle. This squeezes it out in a sort of disk, which can them be trimmed to a point and then painted. The resulting spear is the correct diameter, and doesn't break out of the figure's hands when bumped.  It just bends. It also doesn't spear you in the hand when you reach down to pick up the figure.

Dervish with an 'Ex-Girlfriend Spear.' A rush paint job.  Figure primed white, then a wash of grey, then dry brushed. The patches were then painted, incorrectly it now seems, in a completely random fashion. Then an application of 'The Magic Wash.'  More info on the Magic Wash can be found through the link to the club web site above.  I think that there's a page, somewhere, purporting to provide painting tips.

The ever popular 'Chinese Bridge.' Discoverd, years ago, in a 99 cent store.  It was a Christmas decoration painted as a, not very convincing, New England covered bridge.  It was made in China, so I repainted it.  'Eric in France' has had me looking for a duplicate ever since.  No luck.

An Imperial Chinese Jingal. Stock Wargames Foundry figures, based on a steel washer, with sand for groundwork, and bristles from a cheap (appropriately made in China) paint brush for the foliage.

Burmese Stockade, made from a Sushi Rolling Mat cut into 1 foot lengths at the correct height.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 08:41:22 PM by Major Weenie »

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Colonial: Odds and Ends
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 10:16:00 AM »
All are very nice!
argsilverson

Offline Geudens

• Mastermind
  • 39th generation heir of Charles Martel (no joke!)
    • http://www.rudi-geudens.be/
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 10:24:19 AM »
Super "nonsens", Dow, keep it coming!!! ;D

Rudi
do visit my websites & photobucket:
http://www.rudi-geudens.be/
http://www.tsoa.be/
http://s298.photobucket.com/albums/mm262/geudens_photos/

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 01:13:05 AM »
... Oh, and it also has a flagpole made from what has become known as the 'Ex-Girlfriend Spear.'  She suggested that I buy a broom with plastic bristles, and use that to make spears. You heat a pair of plyers, which must not have an teeth it must be smooth at the point where you will grip the bristle, and then clamp the end of a bristle. This squeezes it out in a sort of disk, which can them be trimmed to a point and then painted. The resulting spear is the correct diameter, and doesn't break out of the figure's hands when bumped.  It just bends. It also doesn't spear you in the hand when you reach down to pick up the figure.

Now....... let me see if I've got this right ......... she's your exgirlfriend?  ???

You must be either very lucky with girlfriends, or very bad at keeping them  lol

Seriously, what a great idea!

After lovingly doing the same to a piece of brass rod [with much more effort by gripping in plyers then whacking it with a tack hammer] and then gluing it in place into the hand of a Gripping Beast mounted Norman knight, I managed to drop the knight and he decided to land pointy end down into my bare foot. It made quite an impressive wound and the spurt of blood when I extracted it was wonderful to see lol

If only I'd read your ex's words of wisdom before the tragedy occurred ....

Offline Major Weenie

• Scientist
  • Never Too Early for a Refreshing Beverage!
    • The Bengal Club
Re: Ex-Girlfriend Spears
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2008, 09:36:56 PM »
Now....... let me see if I've got this right ......... she's your exgirlfriend?  Huh?
Yes all very traumatic, from my standpoint.  She seemed to take my indirect suggestions as to relationship problems in stride.  As in, "Well, there's no sense in stretching this thing out.  Here's a cardboard box, now get your things out of my house."  I was standing on her front porch in 18 minutes.  The fastest breakup I'd ever experienced.

You must be either very lucky with girlfriends,
There is some debate about that amongst my friends, be they 'Weenie' (as in Wargame Weenie) or 'Civilian.'  Although, everyone does seem to agree that a woman has to be 'crazy enough' to go out with me.  I am constantly upbraded for being attracted to crazy women.  Or perhaps only crazy women find me attractive.  I suppose it's one of those Chicken/Egg connundrums.

or very bad at keeping them
Oh, everyone certainly agrees with that.  At least this one was quick, and didn't involve mysterious late night phone calls several years after the event.

But enough about that.  Here's a photo of some 'Ex-Girlfriend Vikings,' she had me paint up a Foundry DBA Viking army as a decorative tribute to her ancestry that could be placed on her coffee table and confuse her, non-gaming, friends from work.